Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the highest reservation number to get invite to configure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine today S700

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like they added a 6 seat option...I guess without the center middle row seat, the X could accommodate much longer, albeit narrow, piece of equipment like a surfboard or something...seems like adding this option is another indication that the center row seats will not be able to fold flat...

Got mine today S700

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like they added a 6 seat option...I guess without the center middle row seat, the X could accommodate much longer, albeit narrow, piece of equipment like a surfboard or something...seems like adding this option is another indication that the center row seats will not be able to fold flat...

And an indication that Tesla is listening to feedback and responding quickly.

It's a pretty nifty quick solution to this issue as well. I imagine it'll fit the needs of a lot of people, considering the number that said they weren't interested in a third row.
I'm actually quite intrigued by this. We have the "captain's chair" setup in our Sienna and love it and I think this would be quite likely to solve one of my bigger concerns. Still need to do a test with the dog crates but I'm a bit more optimistic now :)
Thanks for posting the picture, ChocoboLee

- - - Updated - - -

I am Sig#549. I configured and finalized my order today. If someone with a lower reservation number has waited to finalize in order to learn more about the car, do I jump ahead of them in production?
Possibly. Tesla has a history of NOT producing cars in VIN order or in order of when they were confirmed and finalized. Another member ordered his P85D a week after me and finalized it 11 days after me, yet got his almost two weeks earlier than I got mine. What I'm trying to say is... yes, Tesla said that if you hold back on ordering people with higher reservation numbers will get their cars earlier. But that still doesn't mean that the cars show up in exactly the same order that people confirmed.

I am Sig#549. I configured and finalized my order today. If someone with a lower reservation number has waited to finalize in order to learn more about the car, do I jump ahead of them in production?

Yes, my understanding is that your order goes to the factory in the order its submitted not in the order you were invited to configure. My Model S reservation sequence number was in the mid 5000s but I got VIN 2595. Part of that was a function of the options I selected being available but part of it was knowing what I wanted and hitting the order button just as soon as I could. Then again, I had much more complete information about Model S and had even taken a test drive at that point.

I would imagine that the six seat version was already in the pipeline, just not ready for announcement until today. New seats would not be ready in 20+ days.

Exactly, my guess is the 6 seat and 7 seat version have been in the works for at least several months. And Tesla has been planning on releasing both all this time.

I would imagine that the six seat version was already in the pipeline, just not ready for announcement until today. New seats would not be ready in 20+ days.
That's an interesting question. Here's why.
If you have the six seat version in the pipeline, why not show it to your first 480 Sig reservation holders. It seems very strange to think that they had planned to have all of you configure and then to call you two weeks later and say "hey, btw, there's this other seat option".
I think it is more likely that this is something that they considered and decided that they didn't need. And then when they saw the six thousand posts on TMC about the problems for people who ski or transport other long items and realized that they made the wrong decision and changed course.

I'll say quite frankly that I find the second option is not only more likely but also the option that I consider a better sign for the type of company that I still hope Tesla is striving to be. Move fast, make decisions, and when you realize you were wrong, course correct while continuing to move.
They did this with other things, too. Where they clearly listened to feedback and changed pricing of options (think power lift gate and the price of the premium interior option)

I'm sure they were going to do the 6-seat version. And adding the 7th seat would cost extra. So for the signature edition, they initially only let you choose the 7-seat version because the signature edition is supposed to be fully-loaded. But after seeing all the comments, they decided that maybe some signature buyers would prefer the 6-seat version at the same cost, so they gave us now the option.

I'm not sure there would be all that much design work involved here. It could be as simple as not installing the support frame for the middle seat and cutting different holes in the base carpet. The outer seats don't look different from the "independently operable" seats in the 7 seater.

Another note - if padding is the main reason for lack of folding in the middle row (this doesn't apply if safety and lack of C-pillar anchoring was a primary reason as many suspect), I'd love to see an alternate middle seat that is less comfortable, but folds. You can take 7 adults reasonably comfortably for short trips across town and 6 adults in grand style cross country and still be able to fit lumber and other long thin items. Others might choose all 3 folding at the expense of comfort. Independently operable seats open up a number of configuration possibilities.

My prediction is all of the rest of the Signatures will be invited to configure sometime on Tuesday, since the big launch party is in Fremont at 7 pm. It only makes sense, Tesla. I hope every exterior color and interior choice will be available for Sigs to view!

Russ

I hope you're right but looks like the past couple of weeks Thursday has been the configuration day. I think I'm in the next batch since last was 700. I can't wait!

Tony
Sig X #911

That's an interesting question. Here's why.
If you have the six seat version in the pipeline, why not show it to your first 480 Sig reservation holders. It seems very strange to think that they had planned to have all of you configure and then to call you two weeks later and say "hey, btw, there's this other seat option".
I think it is more likely that this is something that they considered and decided that they didn't need. And then when they saw the six thousand posts on TMC about the problems for people who ski or transport other long items and realized that they made the wrong decision and changed course.

I'll say quite frankly that I find the second option is not only more likely but also the option that I consider a better sign for the type of company that I still hope Tesla is striving to be. Move fast, make decisions, and when you realize you were wrong, course correct while continuing to move.
They did this with other things, too. Where they clearly listened to feedback and changed pricing of options (think power lift gate and the price of the premium interior option)

Pricing changes don't require supplier contracts, design docs, validation testing, safety testing ... big difference. I believe all the feedback caused a change in prioritization of work load. I don't believe all the feedback caused a change in overall roadmap.

The absolute fairest way to do it would be that everyone keeps their place in line (sig #) and every time the line is ready to start another MX build, they take the lowest number which is not started but is configured and locked and start that one.

That way, #7 may be the 500th to configure, but the minute that all locked 1-6 have been started, they are on deck for the next available build spot.

No idea if that's how they do it though (sounds like maybe not for the Ses, but also like maybe we don't know for sure).

1192. I expect all Sigs have gone out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443554680.414623.jpg

867. Invited to configure. Waiting till all my questions can be answered. Hopefully tonight and tomorrow when forum peeps get back from the event.
Btw can't make it tonight so that means I have two tickets to spare but we want to quiz and have all questions answered if some one wants to go as me. I'm a girl so I don't know if you have to make out you are me but I'm sure there are a few men out there with a wig and makeup.