Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the logic of locking down the loaner vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sandollars

I bleed Cardinal
Feb 19, 2018
So Cal/So UT
So I have had the great "joy" in having a MS loaner for the past 2 weeks while my car gets some work done at my local SC.
The loaner is beautiful and almost new but there are no features enabled on it. It doesn't even have TACC. I took it on 1000 mile trip and I was seriously miserable. A third world problem, I know.....

Regardless

As an Owner, I am intimately familiar with the operation of all the advanced features so I was wondering why you think Tesla disables them on their loaners? I asked the SC and they said it was insurance requirements. IMO, the features make the car SAFER, not a higher risk.

I miss my car......

It's not locked down; it just doesn't have AP enabled probably. The one that I got has AP enabled AND it has carpool stickers. I put 1500 miles on it LOL. :D I am pretty sure SC lied to you so they don't have to go enable AP on it. I got my loaner at the Buena Park SC. I know another person who has his M3 in the SC and got a P85D loaner with insane mode and AP enabled at the Costa Mesa SC. Which SC in SoCal did you get the loaner?

Yeah, the only limitation on a 100D X I had for a week was that (I assume) it was in the loaner 85 MPH mode. (I didn't test it). It has AP2.5, and all other things worked fine. I couldn't tell the difference between it and my own car except the app and TeslaFi didn't work. :D

You probably got one of the Enterprise rentals that Tesla gives out occasionally. Enterprise doesn't buy the cars with Autopilot. The service centers have quite a few of these available because they run out (or don't have any) of actual loaners.

If it's a real Tesla loaner, it's likely to have it. Unless, of course, it doesn't have the hardware.

You can tell which one you get based on which agreement you sign when it's turned over to you.

You probably got one of the Enterprise rentals that Tesla gives out occasionally. Enterprise doesn't buy the cars with Autopilot. The service centers have quite a few of these available because they run out (or don't have any) of actual loaners.

If it's a real Tesla loaner, it's likely to have it. Unless, of course, it doesn't have the hardware.

You can tell which one you get based on which agreement you sign when it's turned over to you.

THIS. The Enterprise Model S's also don't have free supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA

You mean if you don't have to sign any agreement, you got a real loaner? :p The girl just gave me the keyfob and pointed to a MS and said "That's yours. Feel free to super charge it any time you want." No signing, no making sure I got insurance, no checking around the car to mark any existing damage.

When I brought it back, I was worry that I found some gum stuck to the carpet at the center yard floor. I thought I would have to explain to them that I don't chew gum and it was always there. But, no.. they didn't even ask for the car back. I just pass the key to someone and said there's your car back. He didn't even go to check it.

So I have had the great "joy" in having a MS loaner for the past 2 weeks while my car gets some work done at my local SC.
The loaner is beautiful and almost new but there are no features enabled on it. It doesn't even have TACC. I took it on 1000 mile trip and I was seriously miserable. A third world problem, I know.....

Regardless

As an Owner, I am intimately familiar with the operation of all the advanced features so I was wondering why you think Tesla disables them on their loaners? I asked the SC and they said it was insurance requirements. IMO, the features make the car SAFER, not a higher risk.

I miss my car......
I never had any features locked out on Tesla loaners.

It's not locked down; it just doesn't have AP enabled probably. The one that I got has AP enabled AND it has carpool stickers. I put 1500 miles on it LOL. :D I am pretty sure SC lied to you so they don't have to go enable AP on it. I got my loaner at the Buena Park SC. I know another person who has his M3 in the SC and got a P85D loaner with insane mode and AP enabled at the Costa Mesa SC. Which SC in SoCal did you get the loaner?

Bingo! I do believe this is what happened. Thanks for clarifying this.

Regardless

I miss my car......
Had 2 loaners recently in Cincinnati. First was a S P100D. Had access to AP and Ludicrous. Speed was restricted to 85. Im almost glad it was restricted.that car is nuts. The next was a S100D with only 400 miles -it had AP too.

I have p100d loaner and whiles it’s red with big wheels and gorgeous, it is completely locked down. No autopilot or adaptive cruise, the remote doesn’t move the car, No Sport or Ludicrous mode. It makes me miss my car vs want to buy the loaner. I don’t understand why they would give out top of the line loaners that are no fun.