Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the real life range of the 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

Have been browsing the forum to get some information about real life range of the 70D VS advertised by Tesla.
Of course, like many, I believe the value proposition for the 70D looks good, especially with the little range difference claimed by Tesla. But would be good to have real life example.
Did I miss a thread already talking about that? If not, would be interesting to get 70D owner sharing what their experience has been, so that we can compare that to 85/85D range.

Thanks in advance for your feedback guys, it will be very usefull in my purchasing decision!
Maxime

I posted this in another thread

Hit 90% at a CT supercharger, and by the time we were in DE we were at 15%. It was about 163miles I think. So 163miles for 75% of the battery, if you extrapolate to 100% that would be 217miles. I was speeding the whole time and 4 people in the car, so if I drove 65mph (or less), I think I could hit 240miles for a 100% charge.

So I'd say the 70D likely would do exactly as advertised at 65mph. If you speed you'll get less.

For bumper-to-bumper trafficy city driving (my commute to work) the range is pretty bad. I probably use 15RM for 10miles of driving.

Long distance trips, range mode on I get 260-300 Wh/Mi (depending on how fast I'm going). City traffic is 320-350Wh/mi. I don't have a city-non-traffic number.

I posted this in another thread

So I'd say the 70D likely would do exactly as advertised at 65mph. If you speed you'll get less.

For bumper-to-bumper trafficy city driving (my commute to work) the range is pretty bad. I probably use 15RM for 10miles of driving.

Long distance trips, range mode on I get 260-300 Wh/Mi (depending on how fast I'm going). City traffic is 320-350Wh/mi. I don't have a city-non-traffic number.

are you using your brakes too much? or is the awd not as efficient at low speeds? bumper to bumper I'd expect to see an extra 30% range

are you using your brakes too much? or is the awd not as efficient at low speeds? bumper to bumper I'd expect to see an extra 30% range

I try to use regen as much as possible for bumper-to-bumper to traffic. Also it's not bumper-to-bumper the whole way to work. Occasionally I might hit 30mph, and then back down to 5mph.

One possible difference is that for regular city driving I leave range mode off, since I top it off every night, I don't really care about limiting my AC (since it's coupled with torque sleep). But for road trips I turn it range mode on.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's one more data point. My house to DE supercharger is 120 miles. I used 56% while going 75mph. So at 100% charge, extrapolated that'd be: 214 miles @ 75mph.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure at the rated 65mph I'd hit the rated 240miles, if not more.

I was a little concerned taking Blue on her first trip with all the talk about city mpge vs. highway mgpe and charging times and etc.

Drove from VA to NYC, about 250 miles. SUCCESS!

Drove out with 96% charge, got to the Delaware supercharger with 40+%. Had TACC set to 80mph, though due to traffic probably averaged out at 75mph. AC to 67. Range mode on.

I left Bloomington, IL supercharger with 100% charge and arrived in Indianapolis with 13% charge. 180 miles. 2 adults + 3 kids in the car. It said I would arrive with 14% left. Used cruise at 70-72 most of the time, had some 'spirited' driving at the midway point since I'm not used to limiting myself for so long :) I'm basically sticking to what the GPS/energy graphs tell me and not trying to stretch beyond those limits.

As a side comment to @bjwModelS I noticed that the trip prediction is based on roughly 70mph. If I'm doing 70mph, my green line matches the predicted grey line. If I'm going 75mph, I start to lose %, and if I'm doing 65mph I start to gain %.

Hard to say for sure but so far I'm seeing advertised range as well, in typical city driving and in traffic to/from work at low speeds. Typically it is better than expected in the city. On trips I'm typically seeing about advertised as well in the 60/70mph speed area. Only time I noticed a really big hit where dropped pretty fast was 70+mph with the windows down, guess lots of drag! Overall, 70D seems like plenty of mileage though and from what I've read/seen also if you do mostly around town, city driving, etc. it is the most efficient option actually Tesla has.

There are a lot of factors here. Temperature makes a big difference - in the winter I average 360-380 Wh/mi, and in summer I average around 320-340 Wh/mi. Depending upon where people live, how they precondition the car, etc., you get different values.

Here's another factor - I live 1.7 miles from the state highway, on paved roads that have hills, curves, and intersections for which you must slow down. Unless I want to drive 30-40 mph on those roads, by the time I reach the highway my Wh/mi is generally between 400-500. If all I do is a short trip to take the kids to school, there's no way that I can get the trip under 300 Wh/mi, and because we do take a lot of short trips into town and back, my average (lifetime) on the P85 is 350 Wh/mi. I can usually accomplish 300 Wh/mi if I'm traveling 40 miles round trip or more, but the first and last 3.5 miles or so generally boosts my Wh/mi.

There are others on this forum who have more consistent, flat drives and have achieved 260-280 Wh/mi for the very same car and even trip length. They profess to use the same driving style.

On longer trips, with outside temps between 70 and 90 degrees F (20-30 degrees C, roughly), you can easily reach the car's advertised range if you drive US speed limits (65-70 mph, or 104-113 km/h).

Probably look at Tesla's range calculator, and assume you'll hit 90% of their claimed number.
Also people make a bigger deal of range than it really is. Totally depends on your usage.
Dont forget, the 10k price difference gets a pretty nice rental car too.

I travel an 8 mile stretch of road two mornings a week in San Jose that is stop and go traffic. I average about 250 wh /mile in my P85D which is quite a bit better than on the freeway. However I carefully regulate my speed to time the lights which sometimes pisses off the guys that want to go 50% more than the speed limit and rush up to the red light and slam on the brakes. So even though I'm driving in stop and go rush hour traffic, I'm hardly ever stopping. Unless you're coming up to stop signs rather than lights, you should be able to do better around town than on the freeway.

Early days so far, but within 50-60 *F and 65-70mph ranges, long-range primarily interstate driving range seems to be allow about 200 actual miles vs. 240 rated miles. The projected SOC in the trip graphic seems to be highly accurate if no strange weather or detours arise. Some of the routes differed slightly, and sometimes I sped up to 77 mph if I had plenty of range to get home.

Here are my data points:

Chapel Hill, NC to
* Winston-Salem: 12/26/15, 70* = 85 rated / 81 actual
* Burlington: 12/26/15, 70* = 63 rated / 57 actual
* Lumberton
--- 12/8/15, 45* = 156 rated / 127 actual
--- 12/11/15, 60* = 126 rated / 117 actual
* N. Charlotte
--- 12/17/15, 57* = 145 rated / 130 actual
--- 12/31/15, 61* = 155 rated / 134 actual
--- 1/2/16, 52* = 148 rated / 134 actual
* Davidson