Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your battery capacity 1 yr out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my 90D model X in early May 2016. I did a full charge before my last road trip and the range maxed out at 243. This is greater than the 3% degradation I was expecting. Anyone else have a similar experience?

90D X, 24.5K miles, vehicle a year old.

Just charged at 256 miles but is typically 255. Since rated was specified to be 257 I'm very satisfied that a year later I'm still close to rated miles.

Per Teslafi (missing a few weeks of data pre software installation):
383 charge count with 45 @100%, 321 @90%; balance 80-90%.
92 Supercharges @ 24 locations with most charged at high temps (South driving, one Northeast in summer).

@McManX 42,000, that's a lot of miles! I'm curious of any issues you may have had with the car since you got it? I know lots of people wonder how the cars hold up after significant miles, and yours is by far the most miles I've read on here.

42k was an estimate, actually 43.3k now. I have had no major problems with the X (just some software things and the few voluntary recalls all early builds had with latches, 3rd row seats, and now breaks I think?). A minor problem with the window seals but that about it. All of this is due to being a pretty early build, and it seems theses are all fixed on newer builds.

Just replaced the tires for the first at around 40k miles (also got new wheels for fun). No problems related to mileage and significant of use (minor creasing on drivers ventilated seat but who cares). Car is holding up great! I'm sure others have more miles than I do.

And to make this on topic - 14 months out my 100% on 90D is 250 (tested yesterday before going to Yosemite), 90% 224/225.

Some people have balanced their batteries and noticed range increases afterward. You may want to try that by charging to 100%, letting the charge complete, and then drive within 10 minutes. I generally do this once a year.

Charging to 100% doesn't balance it, it recalibrates the battery gauge. I have monitored my cell balance over 2 years now and it never goes out of balance much at all. Never to the point where you would lose any range, even after partially charging for several weeks.

This is an email from Tesla explaining the inherent issue with estimating range of a lithium battery. It also explains how doing a full cycle fixes the software based errors. It is not balancing.
The range estimate displayed in the vehicle is based on several different factors. One important factor is the battery's actual capacity at a given point in its life. This is the amount of energy the battery can hold when fully charged. Since battery capacity cannot be measured without fully charging and discharging the battery, this value is calculated in software. We have found that in cases where the battery is consistently charged to a lower state of charge- between 60-80% -capacity estimation becomes less accurate and tends to underestimate the true capacity of the battery. The result is an incorrect reduction in the displayed range estimate. This does not affect the true range of the vehicle, as the end-of-drive conditions are based on real-time battery measurements of reducing battery power rather than software estimates. In any case we recognize the inconvenience and negative user experience associated with this incorrect and reduced range estimate and we are developing a solution.

The inaccuracy of the capacity algorithm will show up in any Model S that is regularly charged under the conditions mentioned above (it seems it is the case for your Model S). We will develop and implement a firmware updates in the coming weeks (timing TBD) to address the concern you outlined. That being said, the amount of actual energy stored in the battery has not changed. The physical distance you can drive the vehicle from full to empty remains the same, only the displayed estimate has changed. You are correct that avoiding charging to high states of charge optimizes battery capacity retention. You should continue this behavior as best meets your daily range needs. We also recommend opportunistically charging, i.e, charge frequently, charge often. Avoiding deep discharges is another best practice for optimum capacity retention. The advice by the Service Center to "let the range drop down to about 20 miles and then charge it to max Daily Range" is misleading. They are correct that it will mitigate the inaccuracy of the capacity algorithm, resulting in a higher displayed range, but it is misleading as the actual amount of stored energy does not change.

Still the same, no changes after 15 months and 17'000 km
March 2016: Rated = 464 km and typical 370 km (100%) Range mode ON
Mai 2017: Rated = 465 km and typical 370 km (100%) Range mode ON

Average 178 Wh/km => Estimated 387 km (Sommer time, average temp. 20-25° C)
Average 198 Wh/km => Estimated 330 km (winter time, average temp. 5-10° C)

Charge 1 a month to 93% (batterie balancing)

Last edited: