Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bitcoin creeping back up...at 135+ now.

... you can keep it in the cloud but for precautionary reasons I store it on a USB drive that I keep in a Mylar bag and in a ziplock bag in my safe.

That’s why when I'm thinking about Bitcoin, I cannot imagine putting any real money in it, because for me it is:
1) to volatile to hold for any long term
2) not safe (I can ‘not call it a safe currency if I need to store it on a USB (I got several of USB burnt in my life) or somewhere in the cloud (if I store it on the 3rd party cloud storage, the currency become as safe as that storage, if it got hacked my money can disappear in a moment).
And I think I'm not the only one with that thinking, so for adoption of that currency I think they need to address that issues at least.

I would love to invest in Oculus Rift, that is some really cool virtual reality technology and I believe it can be used in many more ways than just the gaming industry, like shown by Elon in his latest video. I havent found away to invest in the company tho so if anyone know a way please let me know!

AAPL LEAPS's were the most obvious thing to buy a month and a half ago - I still think they are too. Sadly, you don't get the dividend with LEAP's but you get a ton of leverage.

I also like Tableau Software. Got in low 50's and it has been doing well. Recently sipped a bit from ATH of 77 so might be a good time to get in.

SCTY became semi-reasonable again.

This community has helped me make some good money, so I'm down for sharing what I believe in. I'll only be discussing stocks that I own, to cut down on the clutter:

- TSLA: the obvious stock, cost basis ~$34, sold ~35% of my shares to date, once at $100 and once more recently at $166. Plan to hold the rest for at least 6 more months even if it takes a crapper. Capital gains on this would be lovely.
- FB: got in at around $25, all I had was Jan 2015 and Jan 2014 options. Immediately sold my 2014 options once it hit $35. Holding onto my leaps for at least a couple more quarters to get my capital gains in. They roll out video ads likely by the end of the year (they're spending extra time on this so they don't piss people off), and I'm a huge fan of their mobile advertising; works so much better than their classic right-hand bar ads on desktop browsers which nobody paid attention to. The Zuck told everyone a year ago that the mobile ads were working much better than desktop ads, and if you would have believed him you'd be sitting on some seriously good profit by now. Just download the Facebook app and see how well integrated and unobtrusive they are in the newsfeed. Advertisers are paying much more for these ads; and it looks like they're all mostly ads for paid apps as of now. I admit, I've actually genuinely wanted to click on a few of the ads (and have). I think this is a good investment even now (the obvious thing for a current investor to say, but I seriously think they are still haven't reached their ad monetization potential).
- OCZ: a very speculative company, but one which is very, very likely to be bought out soon. I usually get annoyed when someone sports a stock by saying "they're a good potential buyout candidate" -- but this one seriously is. New CEO in a year ago, and he's dedicated to leaning the company up to be more attractive to a potential suitor. They did not hire a new CEO to file a more graceful bankruptcy. Great entry as of today, too. It loves going back and forth in the $1.20 - $2 range as of late.
- WLT: $140 to $10 in <2 years. Yes, coal is not the answer long term, but this company is a leader and well enough managed to not go bankrupt. Insiders bought this up a good amount around $17-$18 not long ago. 35+% short float spells a huge potential squeeze. I got in at around $11.
- COST: probably won't ever get you rich, but I just love Costco. By on all pullbacks.
- ANGI: short the crap out of this thing on all spikes.
- ALU: has already run up a good bit as of today, but keep this on the watchlist for any pullbacks. I got some LEAPS @ around the $1.80 level, and will let this baby ride out into next year.
- AAPL: a lot of controversy surrounding this stock, but I picked up leaps when the stock was at around $450, and I am not a seller yet.
- NOK: Probably not something I would highly recommend now, but I picked up a solid 80% gain on this. Cost basis of $2.85, just recently sold more than half during the most recent spike up after Microsoft bought their handset business out.

Steathology,
I bought to cover my angi short today at 20.20. I felt like it has a lot going wrong for it, but the story won't play out in the near future. What we really need to see is institutional droppage of the shares, and that won't happen for a long time. The short percent of the float was so ridiculously high that i felt like the movement recently has all been driven by shorting and then short covering. I'm waiting for a quick squeeze to drive the price up to 24 again.

Here are a few of my Plays

FB - Now they show they can profit and growth is huge, the stock has and will continue to run for a while. I missed the earning boat but i got in soon after at $36. I am looking for $60 a share a year from today if earning continue to grow.
CREE - Always a huge fan of the company and have been using their products for nearly a Decade. They were to high for me to buy in at $70+ but after their pull back into the $50s i jumped in head first. LEDs are the future and Cree is leading the way. Their pull back was very similar to SPWR, good earnings but guidance was not there. company should rebound next ER. I have a $80 price target for end of 2014
AMD - They just completed a pull back and rebound (which i was dumb enough not to buy more during the pull back) I expect a good earnings Q3 since profits from the PS4 and Xbox should start rolling in.
MU - I have always been playing MU and after they announced they were going to buy Elpida. Its only gotten better as the Yen fell and they got Elpida for pennies on the dollar. MU will bring in $1 EPS just from Elpida the second half of this year due Elpida providing memory for all Apple products and for the PS4. I have a $20-22 price target a year from today depending how smoothly the can absorb Elpida. CAPEX will be huge in the coming 6 months due to 16nm going online, as well as 3D NAND tech spending. They also absorb $800m in CAPEX spending from Elpida. CAPEX will double from about 1.5b to 3b next year which will hurt EPS so i might never see my $20 target hit, but MU is definitely a long term play.

Speculative Stocks that i watch but do not own.
OCZ - I too wonder about OCZ buy out or if they crash and burn which is why i havent gotten in. I have thought about buying some Jan 15 options just to have a bit of skin in the game for a buy out.BUt it seems like it would be easier to just own the stock since the price of options is not that much cheaper then the stock itself.
HIMX - been watching it for a while and i missed the big 30% run up in in 5 days. I would have to do more research to figure out if its worth it to get in at these levels. My current plan is wait for a pull back.
PLAB - PLAB is a customer of MU. They are supplying bits for MUs run up to 16nm and 3D NAND memory. All of this should start happening early next year and they put the infrastructure in place for a late 2014 product run up. PLAB should start seeing some of that profit by the end of this year and early 2014. SO i think having some PLAB to piggy back off of MUs new memory couldnt hurt.

Last edited:
The only tech stock I have that has come anywhere close to the gains I made with TSLA is Acram AB AMAVF. They are a 3d printing company focus on medical implants and aerospace.

Aside from a few other stocks, the rest of my portfolio is dedicated to marijuana/hemp stocks (are you surprised). After seeing the gains MedBox MDBX made when Colorado and Washington legalized, I had to get into marijuana stocks.

TSLA is the reason I started investing. I've always been leery of Wallstreet as I consider it gambling.

Ready to be moved but I can't resist telling you how much fun you must at parties

One of the reasons I enjoy (and have contributed to) TMC is that we have moderators who do an excellent job of keeping silliness/ snippiness etc away from the main threads. I would liken their efforts here to be similar to being a boss - can't please the riffraff! :wink:

One of the reasons I enjoy (and have contributed to) TMC is that we have moderators who do an excellent job of keeping silliness/ snippiness etc away from the main threads. I would liken their efforts here to be similar to being a boss - can't please the riffraff! :wink:
Yes I agree. Especially with equal treatment of everyone without favorites I agree the moderators are very good at that

The only tech stock I have that has come anywhere close to the gains I made with TSLA is Acram AB AMAVF. They are a 3d printing company focus on medical implants and aerospace.

Aside from a few other stocks, the rest of my portfolio is dedicated to marijuana/hemp stocks (are you surprised). After seeing the gains MedBox MDBX made when Colorado and Washington legalized, I had to get into marijuana stocks.

TSLA is the reason I started investing. I've always been leery of Wallstreet as I consider it gambling.

theganjaguru! Ive been very intrested in the marijuana/hemp sector for a while now as I believe it will be explosive as more states legalize it. I have not been able to find any companies that are publicly traded on regular markets, as I do not have access to OTC markets. Do u have any recommendations for me?

If Xiaomi (smartphone maker from China) was public right now, I'd invest in them.
Xiaomi's Bin Lin Talks About the Chinese Start-Up's Flagship Phone - Liz Gannes - Mobile - AllThingsD
Xiaomi's Bin Lin Says Company Is Betting on Services, Not Smartphones - John Paczkowski - Dive Into Mobile - AllThingsD

Xiaomi has a ton of fanatical fans in China... they're pre-orders sell out in minutes. And people are calling their ceo the Steve Jobs of China.
And today they announced they hired Hugo Barra, former Google VP of Android project management.
They have potential to be a $100+ billion company.

Xiaomi raises their 2013 goal to 20m smartphones shipped. Xiaomi’s Lin Bin: We just turned in our first profits. Will ship 20 million smartphones this year | Unwired View
"Xiaomi today is by far the most interesting smartphone company around. And it is moving mind-blowingly fast. From zero to $5 billion annual revenue run rate, while becoming profitable, in 3 years. That’s quite an achievement."

And they just came out with a TV.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/xiaomi-makes-another-big-move-in-consumer-electronics/?_r=0

theganjaguru! Ive been very intrested in the marijuana/hemp sector for a while now as I believe it will be explosive as more states legalize it. I have not been able to find any companies that are publicly traded on regular markets, as I do not have access to OTC markets. Do u have any recommendations for me?

Greetings and salutations Bonken,
If you want to get into cannabis on regular markets your only option would be to buy on the London Stock Exchange. GWP.L GW Pharmaceuticals is the only company I know of on a regular exchange that has any cannabis products in their business. They make a cannabinoid spray to treat the spasticity related to symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis.

Everything else is on OTC markets (from what I understand) is considered the "gutter" of the markets - especially PNK sheets. But life isn't without risk, so I say why not!? Prior to CO & WA legalizing, MDBX was trading @ $3.14 a share on Nov 5th, but by the 15th it had jumped to $205.00 per share!!! - There are quite a few more cannabis related stocks so, I think there is a high probability that another one will POP! - Especially since CO and WA are STILL laying the footwork to legalization, so cannabis commerce isn't going to proceed on any kind of grand scale until 2014. My biggest gripe is the fact that the FDA says cannabis has zero medicinal value, yet the federal government registered patent 6630507, which specifically details the medical values of the main compounds in marijuana - cannabinoids.

Personally I think if you want to invest in cannabis stocks but can't get access to OTC markets, you're hosed. I don't think cannabis based stocks will make it to the regular markets until more states legalizes or the fed caves on their archaic stance of flawed science and fear, which will be a long long while. Right now there is just too much risk that the fed will come in and take everything. I think that is the biggest problem with marijuana stocks.

Greetings and salutations Bonken,
If you want to get into cannabis on regular markets your only option would be to buy on the London Stock Exchange. GWP.L GW Pharmaceuticals is the only company I know of on a regular exchange that has any cannabis products in their business. They make a cannabinoid spray to treat the spasticity related to symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis.

Everything else is on OTC markets (from what I understand) is considered the "gutter" of the markets - especially PNK sheets. But life isn't without risk, so I say why not!? Prior to CO & WA legalizing, MDBX was trading @ $3.14 a share on Nov 5th, but by the 15th it had jumped to $205.00 per share!!! - There are quite a few more cannabis related stocks so, I think there is a high probability that another one will POP! - Especially since CO and WA are STILL laying the footwork to legalization, so cannabis commerce isn't going to proceed on any kind of grand scale until 2014. My biggest gripe is the fact that the FDA says cannabis has zero medicinal value, yet the federal government registered patent 6630507, which specifically details the medical values of the main compounds in marijuana - cannabinoids.

Personally I think if you want to invest in cannabis stocks but can't get access to OTC markets, you're hosed. I don't think cannabis based stocks will make it to the regular markets until more states legalizes or the fed caves on their archaic stance of flawed science and fear, which will be a long long while. Right now there is just too much risk that the fed will come in and take everything. I think that is the biggest problem with marijuana stocks.

Thanks for your reply! Wow, cant believe those gains, from 3 to 205, thats just INSANE! And I do agree with you that there probably wont be any IPOs on regular markets before laws and outlooks are more predictable, by which time it might be to late to get into the sector anyways.
It really sucks not being able to trade OTC markets sometimes, even though mostly it probably is a good thing.

Thanks for the info!
Chris