Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all my decades as an investor, I may have had a position rise by over 30% in a single trading day.

But if so, it would have been a near-penny stock that formed a minuscule portion of our holdings. I have never had what not only is (now) a $48bn mkt cap company that also is our 2nd largest position! charge forward as much as NVDA is doing right now.

In fact, it's Making My Portfolio Great Again.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and Ulmo
In all my decades as an investor, I may have had a position rise by over 30% in a single trading day.

But if so, it would have been a near-penny stock that formed a minuscule portion of our holdings. I have never had what not only is (now) a $48bn mkt cap company that also is our 2nd largest position! charge forward as much as NVDA is doing right now.

In fact, it's Making My Portfolio Great Again.
Congrats on the massive gain. It's a great feeling. I only have a small NVDA position, but can relate as I've experienced similar in AAPL and TSLA. I don't believe in stock diversification so had very large positions in each at the time of near overnight 50% gains. NVDA always been an excellent company and they are really hitting the sweet spot and I expect they will continue. Congrats again!

• Love
Reactions: CALGARYARSENAL
Congrats on the massive gain. It's a great feeling. I only have a small NVDA position, but can relate as I've experienced similar in AAPL and TSLA. I don't believe in stock diversification so had very large positions in each at the time of near overnight 50% gains. NVDA always been an excellent company and they are really hitting the sweet spot and I expect they will continue. Congrats again!

It's pretty amazing, but at the same I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point.

I originally bought into NVidia because I wanted to invest in what I was excited about, and that was VR along with AI. NVidia was hitting it on all cylinders.

This was way back in the early part of the year right when I started getting really excited by what people were doing with Deep neural nets, and VR was set to explode. Over the course of the year I've slowly added to it where I'd do a few thousand here, and there. Just one of those things where you slowly add to a long.

At the same time I felt a little anger at myself for not willing to put a lot more in (it's about 10% of my portfolio right now).

At each major jump I'd be reminded that I should have put more in. But, of course it wasn't what my intention was. My intention was to be invested in what I was excited by.

Now it's gone up a huge amount in a day, and once again I'm faced with the decision of whether to hold, or to buy more. I don't really want to buy more unless there is a slight correction down (every previous time I added more on a small blip down).

No other stock I have is doing anywhere close to as good as it. Most everything else is in Trump stunned mode.

• Funny
Reactions: EVTECH
No other stock I have is doing anywhere close to as good as it. Most everything else is in Trump stunned mode.
I can relate to feeling of those stocks
Of course it's all guess work- but I'm not going to add at these levels. NVDA is a hot stock, high valuations, and in a market at record levels; With Domestic, International, and historically unprecedented Trump-volatility over the next 4 years, I'm rolling forward with a very conservative investment thesis

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Congrats on the earnings report, same fun the last two years as owning TSLA 3 years ago. Bought a bunch of calls yesterday, should be a fun ride.
Well that was a fun day.

Congratulations who all who were in and are in. Elon's pretty maniacal about wanting greatness, and Tesla's decision to up their stakes with NVidia and work with them on AP hardware was a signal to me that they are on to something great in that space. Then you look around at all their other stuff and they may be one of the best companies in the world positioned for the AI/VR boom of the next decade. Looking forward to our next TSLA run like this, if you discount February/March this year, it's been awhile.

Yes, the news that amazon added an option to use FCPGA in their cloud instances + general chip selloff. I don't see FCPGA being the default choice or being a threat to GPU cloud adaption. For software development debugging and flexibility is really important, once you got everything you working you can move it to specific chip but the cost saving will be small compared to the development + maintenance.

And, finally, here is a post of mine in this thread that is not about Nvidia.

We no longer perform any short selling; haven't for well over two dozen years.

BUT...if we did....

I would be borrowing just as much OCPNY (these are ADRs) as I could. The stock has consolidated as much as any company can since the 2011 accounting scandal, but the recent news truly may sink it for good.

Or, if you know what you're doing, short it in Tokyo - but I've never gotten the sense any of this forum's active players are up on that kind of activity.

Super-serious caution: there's a reason we don't short, and it's a very good one. So do your OWN research, figure out what I'm referring to here, and make up your own mind. It's all open, public information...just hard to find. I'll be more open with long recommendations; never with ones where you've passed over to the Dark Side.

Reference datum: as I write this on 21 Dec, OCPNY ADRs are at $36.86

And now this one is not exactly what most think of as a tech stock, so am posting it just for the delicious juxtaposition:

A headline that just showed up on Bloomberg reads -
Weight Watchers Shares Soar After Oprah Winfrey Loses 40 Pounds

In other words, it's the same old maxim: one person's loss is another's gain

Yeeaahh - me again, broken record again.

But....

Closing price today NVDA: $117.32
Our cost, 1 Aug 2014: $17.28

Now, where did that extra "1" come from? :)

Sure makes unrealized cap gain calculations easy.