Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enter juxtaposition
Capitalist markup of Communist presidential speech
The world of humanity... continues it’s journey

IMHO, if one thinks of the Communist party of China, more as the Communist Dynasty of China, then everything makes much more sense. And in many ways, historically correct. Capitalism...in the sense of making money...has never been a foreign concept in Chinese Dynastic history.

As I recall, from Mao’s Doctor’s memoirs, Mao’s primary reading after coming to power was the history of Chinese Dynasties... Not Communist/Stalinist/Marxist thought.

800x-1.png

Found in

Wall Street’s Robots Still Have a Lot to Learn About Being a Human Trader

Last edited:
SNAP seems to be the stock everyone loves to hate these days, but they are quickly building an impressive lead as the most popular social media platform among teens. They may not be able to monetize it, but of course that's what people said about Facebook.;)

https://www.bizjournals.com/losange...vor-snapchat-over-instagram-and-facebook.html

Where Snapchat Is Beating Facebook - Market Realist (scroll down)

View attachment 255092
Having 2 teens in our household, our experience concurs with the graph. They primarily use Snapchat. If SNAP figures out how to monetize the user base, it should be a good investment at the current price.

Reactions: EinSV
I don't have any short answers, except some cryptic ones:
  • Electronically conducted (no 3rd party outside policies to interfere, or if using cheaper higher volume methods, potentially less problematic)
  • Fairly secure
  • Censorship resistant
  • Not based upon a debt system like many countries' domestic currencies
  • Currently starting to develop some needed fixes and enhancements that allow higher volume and more use cases.

A very long answer is referring you to many days worth of YouTube videos about the topic. Here goes: I already quoted one YouTube from a Bitcoin bull a few pages back, and he has other YouTubes of him being bullish. Another YouTube source of a cryptoblockchain bull is: aantonop

The last one by aantonop is more educational, and a better place to start. I'm sorry I don't have a quick summary.
Addendum: I just found a link list for learning about Bitcoin by Jameson Lopp at Jameson Lopp :: Bitcoin Resources. While I did not review it in detail, he is a person I implicitly trust. I happened to see some of the items on the list I do know about, and they are OK. Edit: I just reviewed more of the list, and it is top notch. Edit 2: Ditto.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMSE
SNAP seems to be the stock everyone loves to hate these days, but they are quickly building an impressive lead as the most popular social media platform among teens. They may not be able to monetize it, but of course that's what people said about Facebook.;)

https://www.bizjournals.com/losange...vor-snapchat-over-instagram-and-facebook.html

Where Snapchat Is Beating Facebook - Market Realist (scroll down)

View attachment 255092
It's the preferred way for them to show each other what kind of drugs they're taking, and some unrelated normal innocent stuff. But the whole drug thing isn't a good source of legitimate income for Snapchat, unless Snapchat becomes a drug dealer and pimp company.

Having 2 teens in our household, our experience concurs with the graph. They primarily use Snapchat. If SNAP figures out how to monetize the user base, it should be a good investment at the current price.

Popularity of Snapchat has been underestimated by most people that I’ve seen discuss it on this forum. I don’t have a position because I don’t trust management.

How Snap Just Gave a Middle Finger to its Voteless Shareholders

Quote:

Tuesday evening, Snap Inc., parent of Snapchat, reported a very ugly quarter, and its shares tanked in late trading. This morning, perhaps to stem the slide, it disclosed in a separate SEC filing that Chinese internet giant Tencent Holdings had acquired 145.78 million shares of SNAP, the crappy non-voting Class A common stock. This briefly boosted shares in early trading, until people started reading the fine print: The purchases were made in the past, and Snap didn’t notify its Class A shareholders because they were voteless and didn’t need to be notified.

End quote.

• Funny
Reactions: SBenson
Any thoughts on ROKU? I don't think they make any money on hardware, all search and host revenue. They seem to be the only non-partisan streaming device and they have an opportunity to be a google like device for the TV. Having watched football on Amazon vs cable, the idea of unplugging seems as much a quality issue as a potential cost option. Will millennials buy a set top box, or go Roku with Hulu or buy channels through Amazon?
My year 2000 brain sometimes still likes to take profits on stocks after big runups, but my "I sold my Amazon at $128 and $250" brain wants to hang for the long term.

I actually suspect that monetizing your user base is the kiss of death for a social media network -- inherently. That's what chases the next generation away from your platform: your attempts to make money off them.

I do wonder who's going to figure out a way around this.

At the moment, I see Bitcoin as an absolute non-ethical stock, quite the contrary of what I like in Tesla.
As it's well said here:
  • It hasn't turned out even remotely as it was intended to.
  • Rather than a currency, it's become a speculative asset.
  • Rather than efficient, the energy and CPU costs are extravagant
  • Rather than decentralised, ownership and mining power are hugely concentrated
Tesla tries to advance the transition to a sustainable energy, Bitcoin is pushing that back, and much more quickly than we expected.

Over in one of the other Tesla discussion threads, someone (can't be hassled to go look up the original, sorry) said they just bailed out of Nvidea to go full on for Tesla and some other hot tech stocks. I didn't want to clog that thread, but I do want to say that I'm sticking strongly to Nvidea until the current kerfuffle with the new side channel attacks settles down. These attacks don't seem to be going anywhere near the GPU-style chips. If I had more dry powder I'd have put some more into NVDA yesterday, when it ran up 6%. QCOM was also up significantly; they have exposure to ARM (vulnerable) and graphics (not vulnerable) and proprietary architecture (who knows?), but are also under a hostile takeover threat, so personally I'm staying away from them. Intel is hardest hit, with AMD and ARM (Softbank) following along.

Edit: post is referred to below after some other followups were moved here.

Last edited:
So today I liquidated my position into NFLX, and now I'm full TSLA,AMAZN, FB. (70/15/15, though).

Those are the only 3 companies I'm confident for the next 10 years.

Off topic post

I don't have the trading experience and background of many people here, so please consider that when you read my post. I do have a tech background and I spent most of the last decade working at a university. I regularly met with students to keep up on technology trends and try to keep our tech relevant and useful to students.

I wouldn't stay long in FaceBook. Young people are not using Facebook much anymore. It's mostly the Gen X and older crowd. I think FaceBook will decline over the next 10 years.