Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gamestop is a good example of why shorting companies is risky. Gamestop, a retail brick and mortar business is an obvious candidate to short. Games are downloaded these days, not bought in stores, and amazon sells everything else like consoles. So it will go the way of blockbuster. So, great short, right? Well, they got a new CEO and he started making all the right noises. Hey, we're going to transition to be an on-line powerhouse! We will be the go to place to buy downloadable games! Don't worry about our stores, we'll figure something out...

Anyways, the stock price had been beaten down so low, that any bit of good news caused the price to rebound. (When shorting, never short near a low!!!). Gamestop was never a very liquid stock, so ... short squeeze! 69% today was nothing. It has gone up 12x since the lows...

Personally, I hate shorting, so, yeah, you get what you deserve!

For those not familiar. This have been the pet project of the wsb lunatics on reddit for awhile. One guy bought calls for last friday a year ago. Kept through everything and turned something like $50k (might have been $5k) to $6 million. And that was before this week when his remaining April (I think) calls must have gone from a couple of millions to many millions.

I'm hesitant to bring this up, especially for folks that remember the whole ZapGo/Nikola debacle, but there is a penny stock play with COUV and Carbon-Ion energy (who acquired the assets of ZapGo). I am not outright endorsing this, it is really risky, I am just saying that some big $$ is probably gonna be either made or lost on this IMO. Do your own research and decide for yourself.

OTC Markets | Official site of OTCQX, OTCQB and Pink Markets

• Helpful
Reactions: house9 and UCF3
For those not familiar. This have been the pet project of the wsb lunatics on reddit for awhile. One guy bought calls for last friday a year ago. Kept through everything and turned something like $50k (might have been $5k) to $6 million. And that was before this week when his remaining April (I think) calls must have gone from a couple of millions to many millions.

What's a wsb lunatic?

• Funny
Reactions: hershey101
Gamestop is a good example of why shorting companies is risky. Gamestop, a retail brick and mortar business is an obvious candidate to short. Games are downloaded these days, not bought in stores, and amazon sells everything else like consoles. So it will go the way of blockbuster. So, great short, right? Well, they got a new CEO and he started making all the right noises. Hey, we're going to transition to be an on-line powerhouse! We will be the go to place to buy downloadable games! Don't worry about our stores, we'll figure something out...

Anyways, the stock price had been beaten down so low, that any bit of good news caused the price to rebound. (When shorting, never short near a low!!!). Gamestop was never a very liquid stock, so ... short squeeze! 69% today was nothing. It has gone up 12x since the lows...

Personally, I hate shorting, so, yeah, you get what you deserve!
Yeah, Gamestop had the Nintendo Switch at MSRP vs Amazon which was out of stock or overpriced 3rd party.. Plus they carry used games. Don't own stock, but have bought a bunch of stuff from them on-line during the lockdown.

I'm skeptical of these charging network companies being that profitable. Most people can L2 charge at home, work, or where they park their car at night. I have used a supercharger maybe 10 times since I got my car. I know plenty of people live in apartments/condos or are on the road a lot but I just don't see there being huge demand.

Agreed. Charging infrastructure seems like a crappy standalone business. Even after the EV transition is complete, charging infra will be something like 1/10 of the business that selling gas is right now. It makes sense for EV manufacturers to build out charging infrastructure because it helps them sell their main product (cars). It makes sense for utilities to build charging infra because it helps them sell their main product (electricity). And it makes sense for restaurants and shops to build out charging infra to attract customers to their restaurants and shops. But charging infra is not a good standalone business.

I ventured into the WSB realm to learn more about the GME situation. What a fascinating and somewhat frightening ecosystem. I feel old now!

Apparently BB and NOK are their next targets.
I did the same and it looks like they are still mostly focusing on GME - expecting another 10x rise over the next couple years. Also expecting a further short squeeze in the coming days.

People who don't understand WSB probably shouldn't comment on WSB.

I'll throw a phrase out there, and if you are immediately offended by it, you don't understand WSB. If you do understand WSB, then you will understand exactly what I just said.

"WSB is a bunch of autists pretending to be retards."

Did you get what I just said? That's your litmus test of the day.