Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What specs are you planning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the last moment, I changed mine to include dual chargers. Considering the price will be 2.5 times as expensive for a retrofit, I thought that must be worth 11,600 HKD, or around 1.5% of the total price of the car.

Gulp

Model-S-Confirmation.png

Our thinking:

• 60kWh - because my roadster is 53kWh and that is plenty
  • Black Paint - because I love the signature red but hate production red
  • Dual chargers - because they cost twice as much to add later
  • HPC - because it is neat and tidy (this will be my wife's daily-driver car)
  • Panoramic roof - reminds us of the sunshine
  • Parking sensors - big car, small parking spaces
  • Smart Air Suspension - driveway clearance
  • Tech package - gotta love the tech

Reserved: 23rd March 2011 - R#1
Invited to Confirm: 11th February 2014
Confirmed: 27th February 2014
Delivery: June 2014 (estimated)

Here's mine

Capture.PNG

White Solid Paint: Great contrast with the Panoramic Roof
Panoramic Roof: This is Tesla's signature, can't do without it
19" Wheels: Don't want noises
Black Textile Seats: Want to save money, will get cover for them
Piano Black Decor: Contrast with the car body
Supercharger Enabled: Cannot charge at home or at work, probably not even at car parks
*Dual Chargers: Already informed to have this removed from the list
Tech Package: Need it for the foldable side mirrors for tiny car parks in Hong Kong
Parking Sensors: Again, tiny car parks in Hong Kong

Mark, you are really not going to get the supercharging option? I know it's a software switch, maybe you know how to hack it - or simply don't need it while she can charge at home? Anyone to buy the car later, can always enable it.

Tesla Final Spec.png

- 85kWh as it gives that more room for driving between charges, and later degradation of battery capacity. Less depletion of battery means longer battery lifespan. Somewhat better acceleration, without being a performance. Supercharger included Resale value. All that for around 100K more, is worth it to me.
- Silver metallic: Easier to maintain if you don't like to wash your car too often (dirt doesn't show as clearly). Easy to sell either black or silver car. Silver doesn't degrade as quickly as red. Silver (in my naive belief) makes the car less hot in the sun when parked outdoors. And I think it is a kind of conservative, neutral paint, which is like all colours, or no colours at the same time, depending on how you view it.
- No sunroof, body colour roof: Yes, the sunroof is a signature item of the model S, yet I decided it's too much more for me. More things to break down, water leaking after years have gone by? More luxury that shows outside (I prefer more discreet), and even with attenuation, it still adds to the cabin temp when parked outside in the sun. No, I'll save the money on that.
- 19" wheels: Save the money, more silence and no need for track days or showing off Saturday night down the strip.
- Black textile seats: Will get the Hawaii seat covers, choosing a silverish-greyish that I like. Seats covers will remain unscathed, money saved on leather to buy the covers and yet some to spare, and they still come with heat and memory.
- Piano black decor: I would have liked the carbon fibre, but again I cannot justify the spending, and it's not a race car to me
- Dual chargers: ~2.5 times the cost to install later, resale value, possible quick charge options in the near future if supercharging is not available where I am going. This was a last minute change before hitting the red button on the 26th
- Tech Package: This is not a car, this is a gadget with wheels, no way I am not having it.
- Smart air suspension: Comfort, raise the car when needed on slopes or bad roads in a park, and adaptive adjustment for driving style
- Parking sensors: They are not just beepers, but show an interactive display where the threat is coming from. Well worth saving a childs life, or scratching/bending that bumper from some low item you didn't see

From 579K to 1M, this puts me about a third from the low end spec, having skipped a lot, including performance, 21 wheels, fog lights and that essential winter package! Oh, in some years when superchargers are in place and we want to drive up to North China, I might regret it, but hey, we'll go in the spring or fall, no problem :)

Finally: What else is to order subsequently? Center console, roof racks or ... ski box maybe? Gotta take the car for skiing on the yearly snow trip to Ma On Shan.

Screenshot 2014-02-27 11.15.31.png

85kwh - supercharger ready, not the slightest chance of range anxiety, the car may end up back in Australia. More thrust than my mates A5.
Blue - a car less ordinary, changes colour depending on the time of day. Classy yet not grandpa-ish
No Sunroof - hate the things. Never used it in my merc. Every 5 year old car has problems with them.
19" wheels - 34k for a set of rims?! would rather have had air suspension .... and the 21'ers...
Tan performance seats - goes great with blue, trying to make the inside look like the money I spent on the car. Much better for HK resale value.
Alcantata - see above
Carbon Fibre - see above. Love the look.
Single charger - home charging so no need for 2
Tech Package - people buy them without the Tech package??
Parking sensors - Hong Kong parking....

Have ordered ( got on the wait list) for the Premiem Center Console.

No delivery number yet, they say Q3 2014.

So are we all right for the Tesla owners rally October 2014? 50 cars, Central, Airport, Sai Kung finish up in TST?

Last edited:
My sister has:
Untitled.png

Reason of not getting dual charger: I have dual charger in my P85 but the only time I can take advantage of it, is when I charge it at home because no where else has any >40Amp EVSE.

Reason of not getting Panoramic Roof: Had a loaner MS equipped with panoramic roof. It's nosier.

85kwh - supercharger ready, not the slightest chance of range anxiety, the car may end up back in Australia. More thrust than my mates A5.

So are we all right for the Tesla owners rally October 2014? 50 cars, Central, Airport, Sai Kung finish up in TST?

I think your warranty is void if you move the car to another market. Maybe Tesla could approve it as a one-off, if you are going to a place where infrastructure is in place already? And as long as both HK and AU is RHD models, it shouldn't be too much of an issue for Tesla to accept it.

50 cars? I didn't know of that event, but I hope there will be a lot more than 50 cars, and if I am not working, I'm in!

- - - Updated - - -

My sister has:

Reason of not getting dual charger: I have dual charger in my P85 but the only time I can take advantage of it, is when I charge it at home because no where else has any >40Amp EVSE.

Reason of not getting Panoramic Roof: Had a loaner MS equipped with panoramic roof. It's nosier.

I think there could be 80 amp charging stations. If I had a shopping mall in HK, and Tesla wouldn't install superchargers, I would consider getting a few HPWC units in place and arrange them in a way so that one unit could serve 4 spots. That way, some staff could switch them around as needed, say there was a time limit each car can charge (and the owner didn't return yet).

Having said that ... can the charging cable be removed when the car is locked? If so, could it be set up so said lock would release after a given charge level is reached? Leading to "Is there a PDF owners manual of Tesla model S one can download and study the car before delivery?" EDIT: Ask the internet, and the answer is http://prius20.ru/instructions/tesla_manual.pdf :)

Waidy, definitely glad I didn't get the sunroof if it's that nosy. Mind your own business, sunroof!

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that I have seen nothing about the cruise control. Does anyone know for sure if it is standard with HK Model S's? They said it was at the showroom but...

I was told that moving the car out of HK voids the warranty however I may have to do it one day. So be it.

BTW I just made up that event...would be good, we should organise it.

I think there could be 80 amp charging stations. If I had a shopping mall in HK, and Tesla wouldn't install superchargers, I would consider getting a few HPWC units in place and arrange them in a way so that one unit could serve 4 spots. That way, some staff could switch them around as needed, say there was a time limit each car can charge (and the owner didn't return yet).
My concern is who is going to pay for the electricity? If shopping malls have no problem, then I will donate a couple too (yes, even I live in US). Please also note there is no energy monitor build-in to the HPWC. There is this Clipper Clip CT100 which is also a 80Amp EVSE with no energy montior build-in. Therefore, even EVians want to pay the host would have no idea how long it's plugged in (if $charge$ by hours) nor how munch kWh are being juiced (if $charge$ by kWh). The Model S has this feature, but you can't ask the host to look into your EV to find out how much to pay. Buying and donating equipment is the easiest part, 2nd hardest part is utility, the hardest part is to find a host/hosts that is willing to give free juice.

Having said that ... can the charging cable be removed when the car is locked? If so, could it be set up so said lock would release after a given charge level is reached?
Once Tasla proprietary charge plug plugged into the MS inlet, it's locked. It can only be unlocked by the remote, not the smart phone app.

- - - Updated - - -

It just occurred to me that I have seen nothing about the cruise control. Does anyone know for sure if it is standard with HK Model S's? They said it was at the showroom but...
I didn't order it (Cruise Control), but it is in my P85. Therefore, I assume it comes standard.

- - - Updated - - -

Once Tasla proprietary charge plug plugged into the MS inlet, it's locked. It can only be unlocked by the remote, not the smart phone app.
Correction: my over-look, my mistake.. I think you may play this trick: EV driver would use the smart phone app to unlock the Model S, then the attendant would go to the center touch screen console to unlock the charge port.

Mark, you are really not going to get the supercharging option? I know it's a software switch, maybe you know how to hack it - or simply don't need it while she can charge at home? Anyone to buy the car later, can always enable it.

I have good home charging, and won't need it.

For resale, it can be added later without too much of a difference in price (vs an option added as new).

View attachment 44228

Blue - a car less ordinary, changes colour depending on the time of day. Classy yet not grandpa-ish
No Sunroof - hate the things. Never used it in my merc. Every 5 year old car has problems with them.
19" wheels - 34k for a set of rims?! would rather have had air suspension .... and the 21'ers...
Tan performance seats - goes great with blue, trying to make the inside look like the money I spent on the car. Much better for HK resale value.
Alcantata - see above
Carbon Fibre - see above. Love the look.
Single charger - home charging so no need for 2
Tech Package - people buy them without the Tech package??
Parking sensors - Hong Kong parking....

Have ordered ( got on the wait list) for the Premiem Center Console.

I would love to join but I'm not exactly comfortable driving Model S after the test drive and it will take more practice before I can join. Also, I only have 60kW battery. Don't think I can get home if there is no superchargers.

I am going to give them a call and verify if they are going to warrant the car if I drive it to Mainland China, as i am going to put a China plate on my model S.

Will keep you guys updated.

Niiice Alipapa! Shenzhen has quite a few charging points right? I can imagine the awesomeness when more and more charging points are being built in the Mainland and you're able to drive long distances freely on a Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice specs Cct! Going all out...

My first car ever. Gotta make it worth! :biggrin:

Because it was LHD. Also, I need to get used to one pedal driving in Hong Kong, learn to control the strength on the accelerator and learn to use "creep" in slow traffics.

You can add or remove the creep as you like.

Read more here, a 145 page Tesla model S manual in PDF: http://prius20.ru/instructions/tesla_manual.pdf

It's a russian site, but the manual is in English. Not sure how updated it is, but I think the creep option has been in from day 1 (I didn't check, no time to read it now)