Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What specs are you planning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the Air Suspension - There was coverage of Continental developing special air spring system for EVs at Green Car Congress. Tesla is not mentioned, but it is almost certainly the Model S that this was developed for. You can read and decide whether it is likely to have the same failure characteristics as Benz.

Green Car Congress: Continental develops its first air suspension system for EVs

Elon also said during the recent EU tour that Firmware 6.0 is 'coming soon' and that it will have much more control over the air suspension.

I am still in doubt if I should get the panoramic roof. I wrote several reasons not to get it, but there are also some good reasons for getting it.

What does the "Hong Kong Tesla Panel" say?

Why did you get a sunroof, or why didn't you?

Yes, I don't really need it, but for sure I want​ it.

For what it's worth, when I met with Linda, she said there were three options she considered a must -- everything else is up to customers (and quite surprisingly, she often cautioned against them). Those three things were: the tech package, the panoramic roof, and the sound system.

AppleFan

I just came off the phone with Tesla in HK.

I am getting the panoramic sunroof for sure, I am totally convinced!

Here are some of the many reasons: A totally unofficial test at a dealership, they left the car overnight (12 hours) with A/C at full blast. The next morning, the had 25 miles less range. Not 25 miles range, 25 miles less range. Also, when they drove the Tesla model S, with sunroof, though Death Valley, they had no problems at all, while the chase truck overheated. Death Valley have elevation differences, and temperatures into 40-50 C easily, so ICE vehicles don't cope well with steep uphills, A/C on, in hot weather. And this is, incidentally, the time you really need the A/C!

Another convincing part is that I hope to plant a seed of must have when people try my car. The panoramic sunroof is just part of that wow! experience: First you fiddle with the screen, then floor the pedal, and when people are thrown back so much they cannot even lean forward to reach the screen, they are looking straight up - into the sky.

I will still skip the sound system.

For what it's worth, when I met with Linda, she said there were three options she considered a must -- everything else is up to customers (and quite surprisingly, she often cautioned against them). Those three things were: the tech package, the panoramic roof, and the sound system.

AppleFan

I initially didn't opt for the sound system, but after considering it might be terribly difficult to retrofit anything onto the car and connect it with the onboard electronic control system and display (as almost all things are controlled by the touchscreen), I thought it might be logical to get after all. Sound is very important to me.

A totally unofficial test at a dealership, they left the car overnight (12 hours) with A/C at full blast. The next morning, the had 25 miles less range. Not 25 miles range, 25 miles less range.

The roadster has a digital Amps gauge on the console. With the car at idle, everything off, it stays at zero. Turn on the aircon / heater, and it goes up to 1 or 2 Amps. Hit the accelerator, and it goes into triple digits. Kind of puts things in perspective.

The roadster has a digital Amps gauge on the console. With the car at idle, everything off, it stays at zero. Turn on the aircon / heater, and it goes up to 1 or 2 Amps. Hit the accelerator, and it goes into triple digits. Kind of puts things in perspective.

Good to know, Mark.

I don't where I got it from, but I thought the MS could only run the A/C when it was plugged in, and that it would draw a lot, at least for the initial cooling (or heating). Tsang from Tesla told me that it's mainly when it's very cold, i.e. "subzero" (in terms of Fahrenheit, which is like double digit negative Celsius temperatures. So even on a hot day, parked outside, just flip the A/C on from your phone, 10 minutes before or so, and it will be plenty cool when you get there. With an 85kWh battery, it won't be an issue in HK.

I just came off the phone with Tesla in HK.

I am getting the panoramic sunroof for sure, I am totally convinced!

Here are some of the many reasons: A totally unofficial test at a dealership, they left the car overnight (12 hours) with A/C at full blast. The next morning, the had 25 miles less range. Not 25 miles range, 25 miles less range. Also, when they drove the Tesla model S, with sunroof, though Death Valley, they had no problems at all, while the chase truck overheated. Death Valley have elevation differences, and temperatures into 40-50 C easily, so ICE vehicles don't cope well with steep uphills, A/C on, in hot weather. And this is, incidentally, the time you really need the A/C!

Another convincing part is that I hope to plant a seed of must have when people try my car. The panoramic sunroof is just part of that wow! experience: First you fiddle with the screen, then floor the pedal, and when people are thrown back so much they cannot even lean forward to reach the screen, they are looking straight up - into the sky.

I will still skip the sound system.

Welcome aboard to the sunroof gang! You have definitely made the right choice! The Wow factor is for sure, having the largest panoramic sunroof of any production car makes it really attractive and I really hate to say, should be better price at reselling as well as being almost impossible to retrofit.

I simply like the sky and the fresh air, maybe some chirps of birds too.

Given the trouble I've had with panoramic sunroofs in my Mercs, they are all yours.....leaks, groans creaks...check out the US forums for the trouble people have with them.

I think for resale value leather seats and premium interior will be more important in an expensive car. Wouldn't want to be selling fabric seats....

Fresh air? How about air noise....

Given the trouble I've had with panoramic sunroofs in my Mercs, they are all yours.....leaks, groans creaks...check out the US forums for the trouble people have with them.

I think for resale value leather seats and premium interior will be more important in an expensive car. Wouldn't want to be selling fabric seats....

Noise and leaks were only for early deliveries. They have all been rectified, as some part wasn't up to standard. All current and new panoramic sunroofs will obviously not have the old, faulty part.

Only the the sunroof allows mounting of the original roof mount (if needed). It gives more space on the back seat for tall persons (more headroom).

I can understand that past experience does count and it can really scared people away. But Mercedez's sunroof and Model S's sunroof are not entirely the same, and because all the premium cars I know of in Hong Kong has a sunroof / or no roof entirely, it is pretty much a must-get for reselling.

Nowadays many people are sick and tired of the awful smell from genuine leather seats, so an artificial leather is more preferred.

I like fresh air at Sai Kung and countryside, and I like them when I drive and when car is parked next to a beach. Air noise? Every car has, even without the sunroof, just open the windows slightly and you'll get the noise. But I have test-driven the Model S, it is dead quiet with the sunroof, hence I am happy to have it.

As to "having one more thing to break", isn't that also true for anything we add to the car and the car itself?

We are all free to choose what we want, there is no right or wrong but what is suitable for you.

I have never had a problem selling a premium car in Hong Kong without a sunroof.

Im sure you were joking about plastic seats being more preferred...

It is just personal experience, and personal experience always differ from person to person. If friends around you say they want sunroof, then they want sunroof. It's like asking people whether they like Apple's iPhones or Samsung Galaxy's, some like the metallic look, some thinks plastic / faux leather is superior, each have their pros and cons. You get the answer from those whom you are close with -- from those who have similar interests with and the result could be pretty lopsided. Same goes to the artificial leather seats. Preferences change with time, so is the meaning of 'cool'.