Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What specs are you planning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can add or remove the creep as you like.

Read more here, a 145 page Tesla model S manual in PDF: http://prius20.ru/instructions/tesla_manual.pdf

It's a russian site, but the manual is in English. Not sure how updated it is, but I think the creep option has been in from day 1 (I didn't check, no time to read it now)

I mean, getting used to it. It's gonna be different from petrol cars in terms of driving experience. I don't want to crash my Model S on day one just because I step the accelerator too hard. I have never actually experienced the acceleration or the pull back on regen during the test drive. The path has too many corners.

I mean, getting used to it. It's gonna be different from petrol cars in terms of driving experience. I don't want to crash my Model S on day one just because I step the accelerator too hard. I have never actually experienced the acceleration or the pull back on regen during the test drive. The path has too many corners.

Just don't drive it like a HK taxi driver: Full throttle or idle. There are positions in between up and floor, so be gentle on the accelerator, and you will be fine.

You can remove the regen (or make it less), and you can also remove the creep. Then later on when you are more comfortable, change it as you feel comfortable to use it.

If you spend just an hour or so with the car, you'll get used to it. The control is really so much better, and finer grained, than petrol cars. Regen allows you to control a gradual deceleration to a stop light, rather than jamming on the brakes, and slowing down a hill is so intuitive. No gears. The only negative side is that it is a big car.

If you spend just an hour or so with the car, you'll get used to it. The control is really so much better, and finer grained, than petrol cars. Regen allows you to control a gradual deceleration to a stop light, rather than jamming on the brakes, and slowing down a hill is so intuitive. No gears. The only negative side is that it is a big car.

Thanks DITB and Mark. Your words are really comforting. I guess I do need one hour. Besides the drive, I will have to rent a parking space first. Since it is a big car, it will be quite a search for a low risk car park at low rent. Charging wise, I'm afraid I can only resort to the one at Hopewell. Wonder how much they charge for parking and charging?

I always wonder how do you stop/park the Model S on a steep hill/slope... Since there's no handbrake, is pressing the "P" on the stick the only way to completely stop/park the car? Since it is 'electronic parking brake', if I park on a hill and leave it there for a very long time, will it drain on the battery?

This is a good question. I am now getting it because there are plenty of rough roads and steep/poorly designed driveways around. Also it will help you avoid curb rash and enhance resale value. Having said that, you will have a great car with or without it.

I added it after.

edit: just to clarify, I rang a few days after ordering to request a change and "L" at Tesla HK told me it would be changed. Must say the 2 Americans who have come over to help Tesla HK are very nice and professional to deal with.

Last edited:
In addition to CCT's question, how important is Smart Air Suspension for the roads in Hong Kong really? I don't have it in my order list.

Here's what others think in the States.
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_EU/forum/forums/smart-air-suspension-0

I had several Citroen cars with air suspension (pneumatic), Citroën BX, Xantia and C5 - in that order. It's a great system, and the comfort is amazing. And that you can raise and lower it, depending on conditions is nice, as is the dynamic and instant changing of stiffness, depending on driving style (sport or comfort). Those Citroën cars with air suspension are not allowed in North America and many other countries, so you mainly see them in Europe.

For a car this price, and considering it's probably impractical or impossible to retrofit, it was a secure option for me all the way, as is the tech package.

But now I will study that thread you linked, and see if that can change my mind. Hope not!

I had several Citroen cars with air suspension (pneumatic), Citroën BX, Xantia and C5 - in that order. It's a great system, and the comfort is amazing. And that you can raise and lower it, depending on conditions is nice, as is the dynamic and instant changing of stiffness, depending on driving style (sport or comfort). Those Citroën cars with air suspension are not allowed in North America and many other countries, so you mainly see them in Europe.

For a car this price, and considering it's probably impractical or impossible to retrofit, it was a secure option for me all the way, as is the tech package.

But now I will study that thread you linked, and see if that can change my mind. Hope not!

The question is, how high is "very high" for the Smart Air Suspension? Anyone has the data? If you have the 'low's that would be great

The question is, how high is "very high" for the Smart Air Suspension? Anyone has the data? If you have the 'low's that would be great

Page 5.11 in the Tesla model S user manual *) :

Model S Air Suspension.png

How did you get the manual?

That is covered in two other threads here in the HK forums :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also note, that

• If you set the suspension to Very High, then drive over 15 km/h, the suspension lowers to High.
• If you set the suspension to High, then drive over 30 km/h, the suspension lowers to Standard.

Very similar to the Citroën air suspension system.

Page 5.11 in the Tesla model S user manual *) :

View attachment 44364

How did you get the manual?

That is covered in two other threads here in the HK forums :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also note, that

• If you set the suspension to Very High, then drive over 15 km/h, the suspension lowers to High.
• If you set the suspension to High, then drive over 30 km/h, the suspension lowers to Standard.

Very similar to the Citroën air suspension system.

Thanks DITB! This is excellent info. So is it with paying an extra $17500 for 33mm more of height? Is it enough if there are obstacles?

Yes, the air suspension was really nice until they disabled it :-( Also, there is a "Tesla Model S Owners Club" group in facebook you guys may want to check it out. There is a comment thread on the Panoramic Sunroof. None complaint about the noise I experienced.
Mike Anthony‎TESLA MODEL S Owners Club
For the people with the All Glass Panoramic Sunroof, What are your thoughts on it? Like or not? Any issues.. or a "wish-it-had"?

For the people who have the solid roof, Why did you not get it?
How is your head room? & any complaints?
Like · · February 27 at 7:49am ·

Nathan Smith likes this.
Tim Chaimungkla I like the Panoramic Sunroof because when I wash the car I can see what spot I haven't wash. I also like it for the view
February 27 at 7:52am · Like · 1
Jeff Vandeford I love mine. Makes up for not having my convertible anymore.
February 27 at 7:53am · Like · 5
Huy Pham I've the panoramic roof. No issues whatsoever. Keeps 95% of the sun out.
February 27 at 7:57am · Like · 3
Mike Anthony The one i drove had it and it felt awesome. it makes a world of difference.. i remember a few people saying they had some issues with it. although one i heard of was fixed right away. so that one slides IMO. There are some great things about it that i like a lot. I just wanted to see if anyone had any issues with it or without it. everyones is different!
February 27 at 7:58am · Like
Mike Anthony Huy, the one i drove i didnt feel anything burning my head. and that was an insanely hot day... but i like a tad bit of sun anyway!! Vitamin D
February 27 at 7:59am · Like · 1
Della Larwill We have the panoramic roof and we love it
February 27 at 8:03am · Like · 2
Tim Chaimungkla Oh and I feel like the roof is not even there sometimes
February 27 at 8:08am · Like · 1
John VonBokel It blocks so much sun/heat, I don't even notice it when it's closed, but it's fun to show off, and a nice way to keep cool in the summer (love the vent roof button in the app).
February 27 at 8:10am · Like · 3
Mathias Carlberg the panorama roof do ad additional space for the head in the back and mounts for roofboxes... In additon to the lovely large open sky... I did go with it as it will be a much more airy and light interior plus very fresh in the summer to open up... Its a go for me!!!
February 27 at 8:23am · Like
Richard Chiang Like it and have it.
February 27 at 8:24am · Like
Allen Shpigel Getting my car next month. The sunroof was a must. Can't imagine the car without it... This glass is stronger than a regular car top...
February 27 at 8:26am · Like · 1
Mike Anthony So I'm assuming some of you guys would know... Is the glass shatterproof or something like that?
February 27 at 8:29am · Like
Ken Seitzberg Like!!
February 27 at 8:32am · Like
Grant Gerke Likey! No issues.
February 27 at 8:41am · Like
Vigdis Haugland Asbjørnsen when you have it open and roll down the windows, it feels like a convertible.
We got the panoramic roof to be able to bring skis in the wintertime
February 27 at 8:57am · Edited · Like · 1
Mike Carter Like!!
February 27 at 9:02am · Like
Rick Tavan I've had several ICE cars that couldn't be found without the #%@! sunroof that I never used. I didn't know about the extra headroom, luggage rack mounts and heavy tinting when I ordered my Dec 2012 MS without the sun roof. Now I regret it.
February 27 at 9:03am · Like
George Reese Love the panoramic roof.
February 27 at 9:17am · Like · 1
Chris Borders I have the solid-roof, and am 6'-1", no problems.
February 27 at 9:37am · Like
Mathias Carlberg buy process is simple. click performance version and "max out" button... order, confirm, done!
February 27 at 9:43am · Like
Mike Anthony Hmm "Max out" wish it was that simple with my bank account. That way i could buy the one i want
February 27 at 9:44am · Like · 3
Leonel Delgadillo Love it.
February 27 at 9:45am · Like
Dennis Edward Dowhy The mounts for the roof rack only come with the panoramic roof. If you get a solid roof you can't get the roof racks.
February 27 at 10:00am · Like · 3
Brede Almberg I've got the solid black roof (on a muticoat red). Bought it solely because of the fact that I can't stand glass roofs, but thats my problem. The benefits of the solid roof might be a bit better insulation against heat loss in cold weather, better sound insulation and a less clutteret roofline. You might lose som head space in the back, front is far from a problem for me at 6'2".
February 27 at 10:27am · Edited · Like
Michael Umanoff Enjoy the Pano
February 27 at 10:45am · Like
Pål Amundsen I have the pano. It leaks and creaks and will be fixed. Warranty. Living in Norway, I doubt I would buy pano on my next car. In California it's a no brainer though.
February 27 at 10:45am · Like
S. Hutson Blount There were a few hiccups with the weather-stripping coming unglued the first week I had it, but for the past year it's functioned perfectly.
February 27 at 10:52am · Like
Bill Jones The easiest way to figure out whether or not to get the pano roof is to ask yourself how often you opened the sunroof on your current car during the past year. Californians maybe... Texans not so much.
February 27 at 11:11am · Like
Brede Almberg Or how often you need to put your skis on the roof, the solid roof doesn't have a roof rack fitment system. No problem putting the skis inside the car though, as long as you have no more than three passengers.
February 27 at 11:15am · Like
Karla Wagner Love my pano roof...and no problems whatsoever...get it Mike!
February 27 at 12:16pm · Edited · Like
Jason Goold Are kidding me... I can't believe this is even a questionable debate. .. wow lol
February 27 at 12:23pm · Like
Mike Anthony Some people didnt want it. and others have had small issues with it. Sometimes it might not be worth trouble. thats y i asked. I mean you all know by now i love the car. my fav car! makin sure that this is a worthy feature!
February 27 at 12:26pm · Like · 2
Xun Wilson Huang I have it, but rarely used it. non-event.
February 27 at 12:30pm · Like
Mike Anthony If i got a Model S with the Pano roof, i might not always open it... but i do enjoy the scenery
February 27 at 12:31pm · Like
Jonathan Chen I also don't open mine up much in GA. However, it does give a much more open feel in the cabin.
February 27 at 1:40pm · Like · 1
Bob Hodgen I love my pano roof. I open it up almost every day. I live in Florida. Even last August, heat wasn't a problem.
February 27 at 2:40pm · Like
Paul Giralt I disagree that how many times you opened your sunroof on a previous car matters. I never used the sunroof on my previous car and I love the pano roof even if I almost never open it. It makes the car feel so much more open. Had a few wind noise issues that service took care of and now it's perfect. Heat is not an issue even on the hottest of days.
February 27 at 2:53pm · Like · 4
John Tamplin I'm glad I don't have the pano roof. I drove a loaner with one, and it was way too bright inside the car.

Aside from that, every car I have ever had with a sun/moonroof has eventually leaked, and I didn't want the hassle.
February 27 at 3:04pm · Like
Todd Burch I love mine. I open it whenever the weather allows and I don't need a nearly silent cabin.
February 27 at 3:04pm · Like · 1
Walt Muska I don't like sun on my head so I don't have it. So far no regrets.
February 27 at 4:48pm · Like
Mark Wright Love it. Use it all the time in California. Great at keeping the heat out in bright days. Never had issue with mine for operation or noise. Very happy with my decision to get it.
February 27 at 5:24pm · Like · 1
Tudor Melville I live in Az and use mine all the time. The pano is classy. Love mine.
February 27 at 5:52pm · Like
Charles Isbell Love it. Mainly use it to show off controls, but I love the view.
February 27 at 6:20pm · Like
Doug Martoccia When my co-worker griped to me about taking her (less than 30 day owned Model S) in for service to fix the sunroof, it reminded me once again why I didn't order it. I have had no problems with my solid roof!
February 27 at 6:35pm · Like
Mark J McNabb Solid roof is stupid. Why get a solid roof? Poor? Not sure.
February 27 at 7:38pm · Like
Herbert Van Den Houten I have found that I can currently live without a sunroof so why order the glass roof??? I find it is rather unimportant option.
February 27 at 7:42pm · Like
Ed Finn Love the pano roof. Quiet, no leaks, and opens to the sky and fresh air when I want. What's not to like?
February 27 at 8:09pm · Like · 2
John Tamplin Don't feed the trolls: Mark J McNabb
February 27 at 8:35pm · Like
Ellen Sirull Cali, love it, no problems at all. And wouldn't imagine there are many leaks after seeing the technique for installing the pano roof in Freemont
February 27 at 8:42pm · Like · 1
Vicente Silveira I like it, it is nice to open it during warm days and even when closed I get more of the outdoors inside the car. I had a binding issue and some glue coming off but I have a 2012 car, they should have mastered it by now.
February 27 at 8:49pm · Like · 1
Nathan Smith Love it! Have had no issues with it all. Another one of those features people love to see.
Yesterday at 5:18am · Like
Patrick Sowell Get the pano! more headroom and natural light... and when the weather's nice- amazing
23 hours ago · Like · 1
David Alexander Wilson I am very happy with my solid roof. One less thing to worry about. I also went with the options I could afford and that made economic sense. I have no regrets.
23 hours ago · Like · 1
John Tamplin Patrick Sowell You aren't worried that the government satellites can recognize you through the sunroof and track you even if you pull fuses to disable the car sending tracking data?
22 hours ago · Like · 1
Patrick Sowell Ha - not yet. They're implementing OCR on most of the DOT cameras to read plates first... Facial recognition is coming, but probably not good enough to see you through the tint on the pano roof- and def not from space.... yet.
22 hours ago · Edited · Like
Mike Anthony Does the Pano roof have a positive or negative effect on range?
12 hours ago · Like
Mark Wright Pat, you'd be amazed at what can be seen from space. Even in the 70's. But, I'm sure a regular cam can ID my bald spot from the pano. Hmm, have to get a tupee.
12 hours ago · Like
Mark Wright Mike, lack of noise from the closed pano makes me think the affect on range is unnoticeable.
12 hours ago · Like
Mike Anthony right i didnt know if there was a weight difference or added safety/ reinforcements making it weigh more..?
12 hours ago · Like
Mark Wright Good point... There is a structural bar in the middle of the two panes. I'm guessing that is there in the solid roof also. So likely glass vs aluminum -- maybe a little more weight for the pano (negligible).
12 hours ago · Like
Chris Borders @Mark, Yes, both the glass and pano motor add extra weight. It might not make much of a difference in range, however, the pano likely adds a few milliseconds onto your 0-60 MPH time (if that matters to you).
11 hours ago · Like · 1
Kelly Koger Martinez I chose the pano because I was told it was the only roof with the option to add a bike rack. I have yet to put on the bike rack and travel with my bikes inside. I love the pano and definitely recommend it. Although I did have to tint the pano and windows because the Texas heat is unbearable.
11 hours ago · Like
Hardik Bhansali I chose bare minimum options when I ordered to keep price in check. Would have gone for sunroof if I was buying now. Not sure about effect on range. However as other have mentioned having a pano roof adds weight. The difference between solid and pano r...See More
10 hours ago · Like
Mathias Carlberg pano dont add anything to acceleration. its tire width in the back / grip that is the limiting factor...
6 hours ago · Like

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the comment on 21"/22" tires on facebook group: [This will be my last post of comments from facebook]
Huy Pham
Is anyone running 22" on their tesla? If yes, how do you like it? I'm thinking about it.
Like · · February 27 at 8:00am near San Ramon, CA

Scott L Klabunde I have them on my winter tires and she looks and drives great.
February 27 at 8:57am · Like
Huy Pham Can you send me a pic? No issues rubbing? What are the tire size? I'm looking to put some on. Any help would be great!.
February 27 at 9:23am · Like
Scott L Klabunde Not sure of tire sizes as I am traveling today. No rubbing.
Scott L Klabunde's photo.
February 27 at 9:47am · Like · 1
Dennis Edward Dowhy I think your crazy unless you have unlimited funds to replace tires and repair rims frequently. The 21s are bad enough. 22s just exacerbate those problems even more.
February 27 at 9:49am · Like
Kane Cullum I'm running 22's on my MS. I made the decision that if I was going to spend upwards of $5K on wheels - that I was going to decide which ones to put on the car. I love my choice. Vossen CV4 staggered (9" front - 10.5" rear) with Pirelli P-Nero Zero performance tires. Smooth, clean performance with outstanding response to all road conditions. Granted, living in So. Cal - road conditions are pretty consistent.
February 27 at 10:39am · Like · 1
Alex Guberman If you like oversized rims on your ride I recommend purchasing an Escalade and moving to Hayward
February 27 at 10:40am · Like · 1
Jim Thompson I gotta say it irks me when people deride other peoples choices (I.e., your crazy). It's bad enough in TMC but it's downright disappointing on this forum.
February 27 at 11:05am · Like · 3
Scott L Klabunde Jim, I concur.
February 27 at 11:17am · Like · 3
Huy Pham I concur with Kane, if I was going to spend $3500 at the time I purchased my MS (now 5K+), I wanted to be able to pick the rims that I really wanted. I've seen the wrapped "Blue" model S and I really like those rims. I really don't want the 22's, but the other choice would have been 19's or 20's and i really didn't want that. If there was a choice for 21's, I would entertain that. I don't think the 22's are that big. They look great, my concern was with the rubbing. Vossen seems to be a great brand. Did anybody buy these rims online? if so, from whom? Can you also provide the detail tire size?
February 27 at 11:33am · Like
Kane Cullum I think she turned out pretty well. No rubbing. Outstanding performance.
Kane Cullum's photo.
February 27 at 12:21pm · Like · 4
Mike Anthony i wouldnt go that big. but ive seen some Model S's with Vossen rims. they make any car look good.. and they dont look "Ghetto Fab"
February 27 at 12:34pm · Like
Alex Guberman Jim and Scott, it looks like the poster was asking for opinions and this IS a discussion forum. So, what is it about my opinion ( besides the fact that you may disagree with it ) that disappointed you?
February 27 at 1:46pm · Like
Scott L Klabunde Alex, I get that and agree if the question was stated that way. However he was asking options of those who run 22", not a general...what do you think? He obviously wants to do it and wanted to make sure it would not cause an issue. Which several have said it does work.
February 27 at 2:28pm · Like
Dennis Edward Dowhy Well he should also be informed of the negatives. He might not be aware that running with such a huge wheel and low profile tire that he will likely experience blowouts and having to call a tow truck and just being inconvenienced frequently. Sure they might look great. If you were going for faster acceleration you'd do better with a smaller lightweight wheel and sticky tires. If you wanted handling then go wider. If you were looking for range again a smaller lightweight wheel with narrower LRR tires. If you wanted to go for looks then go with huge wheels but they serve no purpose other than looks and their drawbacks are huge and very very very costly. Many owners as soon as they blew out and/or cracked their 21s they downgraded to the 19s because they simply can't afford the cost of maintaining 21s let alone 22s which are going to be worse. The service centers are constantly swamped with blowouts. I would LOVE to know the actual % of blowouts and cracked rims but I'm sure Tesla would never release that kind of data. IMHO it's so much that tire and wheel replacements that are paying all the SC bills lol. I've yet to go to a SC where there weren't multiple cars in getting replacements. Even being dropped off by tow trucks while I'm there too. This % is probably much more than you'd guess...the number of cracked rim, blowout, and premature inside wear threads and posts on TMC is astounding. To each their own. I'm just pointing out the negatives of bigger wheels with low profile tires on a heavy car that the average person probably has no clue about because they've been driving around "normal cars with normal tires" prior to their MS.
February 27 at 5:18pm · Like
Alex Guberman Scott, so if I post a message on here about which bridge I should jump off of, Golden Gate or Bay Bridge, you would just answer my question or would you post something like "Don't do it, you'll die!"?
February 27 at 5:23pm · Like
Dennis Edward Dowhy Golden Gate Bridge seems to be the popular one. http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA1P03Q20140226
February 27 at 5:28pm · Edited · Like
Scott L Klabunde Lol, I give. Just trying to be helpful to people who love cars....
February 27 at 5:34pm · Like
Saeed Jaffer I think some Hayward Honda Civic folks might get downright offended by this thread.

Question to those in the know: do the standard 19" create as many problems as the larger rims?
February 27 at 5:56pm · Like
Huy Pham Hi All, thanks for the info! I am interested in upgrading, but didn't know all the in and outs, so thanks for all your comments.
February 27 at 6:35pm · Like
Mark Raudonis FYI: I've had 21's for over a year now. Now blowouts. No cracked rims. Everything's fine. So Cal driving. Changed tires at 20K miles. Moderate to aggressive driving habits.
February 27 at 6:43pm · Like
Alex Guberman Scott, me too. I'm just trying to help.
February 27 at 6:49pm · Like
Dennis Edward Dowhy For reference I am now at 39.7k miles on original OEM 19s with at least a good 15k to go before they start to hit 4/32 and need replacement.
February 27 at 7:50pm · Like · 1
W. Ty Miller I like the wit on this thread! Kane Cullum I have 21s and wouldn't spend another $4k on wheels, but I have to say that your wheels look sweet.
February 27 at 11:47pm · Like · 1
Ben Weiss I've had the 21's for 18 months now. One blowout from a pothole, one cracked rim (different wheel) from an unknown cause, presumably another pothole. We'll see how the next few years go.
Yesterday at 12:43am · Like

I believed the air suspension system in Model S is the same as the one on the old (last model) MB S-class.

Beware that many people encounter the shock failure after 2 years.

My uncle and my friend both experienced the same problem, and it cost about 8k HKD per 1 shock to fix.

I really don't understand why Tesla isn't offering the more advance Air shock, which allows you to chose the "hardiness" and height.

I believed the air suspension system in Model S is the same as the one on the old (last model) MB S-class.

Beware that many people encounter the shock failure after 2 years.

My uncle and my friend both experienced the same problem, and it cost about 8k HKD per 1 shock to fix.

I really don't understand why Tesla isn't offering the more advance Air shock, which allows you to chose the "hardiness" and height.

I have been reading up on Smart Air Suspension (SAS) from other Tesla Motors and Club threads. I have heard this Mercedez Benz rumour too because they both use the Continent brand suspension. Whether they are the same model though is hard to tell. There is no iFixit for Cars like there is for smart devices unfortunately.

It is definitely not cheap to fix afterwards that is confirmed, so for now I'm not going to write in and add this option (since I have already confirmed my order and I haven't heard from Linda ever since the confirmation).

$17500 for 33mm higher doesn't sound quite practical to me, and despite the fact that I do agree it helps aerodynamically to lower the car, I can't see the range saving in the case of Hong Kong because of the limited distance in the highway. Having the car move up and down frequently as it will be for Hong Kong roads, might even lose more battery hence range.

Also, not having SAS doesn't mean the car has no suspension at all, some owners who have SAS even say like coil suspension better! So there are supporters for both sides of the opinions here.

What I do know is that now the firmware is 5.8.9 or 5.8.10 and the SAS mode is still disabled, meaning that it will not be lowered to "low" when it is above certain speed.

Hi all,

I just joined this forum as I only just put in my order (not yet confirmed) yesterday afternoon when I was with Linda (who's on her way back to the Bay Area today).

I too am on the fence about the Smart Air Suspension. I was originally intent on getting it, but Linda cautioned against it. Her caution wasn't specifically for the SAS, but just that I shouldn't order an option that I'm very unlikely to realistically use. On the one hand, there are quite a few steep driveways and high speed bumps in Hong Kong car parks, but on the other hand, I think realistically, I doubt I would remember to raise my car each and every time I enter a car park. Most of the Tesla forum posts indicate people get SAS and like it. But I'm a bit skeptical (though I'm very open to the possibility that I may be wrong) about any posts that link the air suspension with ride quality: I thought it only raises/lowers the car? Doesn't the ride quality depend on shock absorbers (which are the same regardless of SAS) and tires? Which means the difference might actually be to do with 19" vs. 21" and nothing to do with the SAS...

AppleGeek

The SAS replaces both springs and shocks, I have it because my driveway has a 22degree transition and I needed the clearance to avoid scraping. The ride is fine and certainly not over soft - you can still feel slight road inconsistencies (and I drive a Lotus Elise as well). Also, there is no need for SAS for most speed bumps, the car manages just fine. I drove both kinds before buying and honestly could not tell the difference in ride quality. So decide if there is a specific need for it. Otherwise I would not worry.

I was on the fence for a while and decided to go for it for a number of reasons. Firstly where I live has a number of fairly rough roads and according to the forums it gives a smoother ride. Hong Kong has some appalling driveways and it would be painful to risk a scrape for not having got it. Curb rash in HK is a real possibility. I think there will probably be more resale value in cars here with it.

I also noticed that the majority of the people with it and had experienced both, preferred cars with it.

At the end of the day you buy what you can afford and no doubt you will enjoy it regardless.