TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What specs are you planning?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by DITB, Jan 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk's Director of Education

I mean, getting used to it. It's gonna be different from petrol cars in terms of driving experience. I don't want to crash my Model S on day one just because I step the accelerator too hard. I have never actually experienced the acceleration or the pull back on regen during the test drive. The path has too many corners.

2. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

Just don't drive it like a HK taxi driver: Full throttle or idle. There are positions in between up and floor, so be gentle on the accelerator, and you will be fine.

You can remove the regen (or make it less), and you can also remove the creep. Then later on when you are more comfortable, change it as you feel comfortable to use it.

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

If you spend just an hour or so with the car, you'll get used to it. The control is really so much better, and finer grained, than petrol cars. Regen allows you to control a gradual deceleration to a stop light, rather than jamming on the brakes, and slowing down a hill is so intuitive. No gears. The only negative side is that it is a big car.

4. lx3h

Thanks DITB and Mark. Your words are really comforting. I guess I do need one hour. Besides the drive, I will have to rent a parking space first. Since it is a big car, it will be quite a search for a low risk car park at low rent. Charging wise, I'm afraid I can only resort to the one at Hopewell. Wonder how much they charge for parking and charging?

5. CCT

CCT Member

I always wonder how do you stop/park the Model S on a steep hill/slope... Since there's no handbrake, is pressing the "P" on the stick the only way to completely stop/park the car? Since it is 'electronic parking brake', if I park on a hill and leave it there for a very long time, will it drain on the battery?

6. lx3h

#106 lx3h, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  7. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

This is a good question. I am now getting it because there are plenty of rough roads and steep/poorly designed driveways around. Also it will help you avoid curb rash and enhance resale value. Having said that, you will have a great car with or without it.

8. lx3h

Lerxt, I don't see Smart Air Suspension on your list before. So you are writing in to add?

9. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

#109 Lerxt, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    I added it after.

edit: just to clarify, I rang a few days after ordering to request a change and "L" at Tesla HK told me it would be changed. Must say the 2 Americans who have come over to help Tesla HK are very nice and professional to deal with.

10. DITB

I had several Citroen cars with air suspension (pneumatic), Citroën BX, Xantia and C5 - in that order. It's a great system, and the comfort is amazing. And that you can raise and lower it, depending on conditions is nice, as is the dynamic and instant changing of stiffness, depending on driving style (sport or comfort). Those Citroën cars with air suspension are not allowed in North America and many other countries, so you mainly see them in Europe.

For a car this price, and considering it's probably impractical or impossible to retrofit, it was a secure option for me all the way, as is the tech package.

But now I will study that thread you linked, and see if that can change my mind. Hope not!

11. lx3h

The question is, how high is "very high" for the Smart Air Suspension? Anyone has the data? If you have the 'low's that would be great

12. DITB

Page 5.11 in the Tesla model S user manual *) :

Model S Air Suspension.png

How did you get the manual?

That is covered in two other threads here in the HK forums :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also note, that

• If you set the suspension to Very High, then drive over 15 km/h, the suspension lowers to High.
    • If you set the suspension to High, then drive over 30 km/h, the suspension lowers to Standard.

Very similar to the Citroën air suspension system.

13. lx3h

Thanks DITB! This is excellent info. So is it with paying an extra $17500 for 33mm more of height? Is it enough if there are obstacles?

14. waidy

waidy Member

Yes, the air suspension was really nice until they disabled it :-( Also, there is a "Tesla Model S Owners Club" group in facebook you guys may want to check it out. There is a comment thread on the Panoramic Sunroof. None complaint about the noise I experienced.
    - - - Updated - - -

Here are the comment on 21"/22" tires on facebook group: [This will be my last post of comments from facebook]

15. lx3h

Sorry. EBay do you mean they disabled it?

16. Alipapa

Alipapa Member

I believed the air suspension system in Model S is the same as the one on the old (last model) MB S-class.

Beware that many people encounter the shock failure after 2 years.

My uncle and my friend both experienced the same problem, and it cost about 8k HKD per 1 shock to fix.

I really don't understand why Tesla isn't offering the more advance Air shock, which allows you to chose the "hardiness" and height.

17. lx3h

I have been reading up on Smart Air Suspension (SAS) from other Tesla Motors and Club threads. I have heard this Mercedez Benz rumour too because they both use the Continent brand suspension. Whether they are the same model though is hard to tell. There is no iFixit for Cars like there is for smart devices unfortunately.

It is definitely not cheap to fix afterwards that is confirmed, so for now I'm not going to write in and add this option (since I have already confirmed my order and I haven't heard from Linda ever since the confirmation).

$17500 for 33mm higher doesn't sound quite practical to me, and despite the fact that I do agree it helps aerodynamically to lower the car, I can't see the range saving in the case of Hong Kong because of the limited distance in the highway. Having the car move up and down frequently as it will be for Hong Kong roads, might even lose more battery hence range.

Also, not having SAS doesn't mean the car has no suspension at all, some owners who have SAS even say like coil suspension better! So there are supporters for both sides of the opinions here.

What I do know is that now the firmware is 5.8.9 or 5.8.10 and the SAS mode is still disabled, meaning that it will not be lowered to "low" when it is above certain speed.

18. AppleFan

AppleFan Member

Hi all,

I just joined this forum as I only just put in my order (not yet confirmed) yesterday afternoon when I was with Linda (who's on her way back to the Bay Area today).

I too am on the fence about the Smart Air Suspension. I was originally intent on getting it, but Linda cautioned against it. Her caution wasn't specifically for the SAS, but just that I shouldn't order an option that I'm very unlikely to realistically use. On the one hand, there are quite a few steep driveways and high speed bumps in Hong Kong car parks, but on the other hand, I think realistically, I doubt I would remember to raise my car each and every time I enter a car park. Most of the Tesla forum posts indicate people get SAS and like it. But I'm a bit skeptical (though I'm very open to the possibility that I may be wrong) about any posts that link the air suspension with ride quality: I thought it only raises/lowers the car? Doesn't the ride quality depend on shock absorbers (which are the same regardless of SAS) and tires? Which means the difference might actually be to do with 19" vs. 21" and nothing to do with the SAS...

AppleGeek

19. RichardL

RichardL Member

The SAS replaces both springs and shocks, I have it because my driveway has a 22degree transition and I needed the clearance to avoid scraping. The ride is fine and certainly not over soft - you can still feel slight road inconsistencies (and I drive a Lotus Elise as well). Also, there is no need for SAS for most speed bumps, the car manages just fine. I drove both kinds before buying and honestly could not tell the difference in ride quality. So decide if there is a specific need for it. Otherwise I would not worry.

20. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

I was on the fence for a while and decided to go for it for a number of reasons. Firstly where I live has a number of fairly rough roads and according to the forums it gives a smoother ride. Hong Kong has some appalling driveways and it would be painful to risk a scrape for not having got it. Curb rash in HK is a real possibility. I think there will probably be more resale value in cars here with it.

I also noticed that the majority of the people with it and had experienced both, preferred cars with it.

At the end of the day you buy what you can afford and no doubt you will enjoy it regardless.