Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What specs are you planning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a quick question on everyone's thoughts on the Performance Plus option - whether it is worthwhile or not. I have seen some positive comments globally - but from very different markets than HK. I wonder given the size of HK whether it really makes much difference - esp. given it is very unlikely that one would be driving particularly fast here (P85 may just be enough?). Secondly, this option requires using 21" wheels which comes with big disclaimer from Tesla that the warranty does not cover damage to those - I assume for a good reason (such damage must be common). Given how tight/crowded is HK and the state of tarmac on some roads I wonder whether wear/tear on these wheels may out-do any performance benefits they offer (if any in HK situation). Any comments?

Well, those 'limitations' don't stop people getting Ferraris or Lambos in HK... Obviously it's a matter of your driving habits and personal preference (sorry for the cliche). If you can afford and are willing to pay a higher price for a more performance and sporty experience, why not?

The goods: better handling, tighter steering, less body rolls at turns, more connected to road, range slightly improved...

The bads: tires wear out faster, stiffer rides, noisier?, costlier...

I have a quick question on everyone's thoughts on the Performance Plus option - whether it is worthwhile or not. I have seen some positive comments globally - but from very different markets than HK. I wonder given the size of HK whether it really makes much difference - esp. given it is very unlikely that one would be driving particularly fast here (P85 may just be enough?). Secondly, this option requires using 21" wheels which comes with big disclaimer from Tesla that the warranty does not cover damage to those - I assume for a good reason (such damage must be common). Given how tight/crowded is HK and the state of tarmac on some roads I wonder whether wear/tear on these wheels may out-do any performance benefits they offer (if any in HK situation). Any comments?

jus if money is not that a concern
for me I will go for a top model
just makes u no regret and enjoy to the max

all or nothing yay!

n for 21' wheels it looks so much nicer let aside those damage u mentioned lol

Cannot decide entirely.

Does anyone know about custom seat covers made to fit, in Hong Kong? I am considering getting the fabric interior instead of leather, after reading about it on the forums.

EDIT: Just found proper aftermarket seat covers, and yes, they cater for the air bag outlets in the seats: Tesla Model S Full Piping Seat Covers - Wet Okole Hawaii

Currently, this is my latest iteration, still subject to change. Still cannot justify the extra 100K to go Performance.

Tesla Config March 2014.png

Last edited:
I have a loaner P85+ while my P85 was in service. The P85+ is very noisy, even with all the windows and roof closed. Apparently, the noise is from the road because it has a bigger wheel and tires. It's quite bad for me since I listen to classical music.

As for the non-leather seat, please note the non-leather seat does not have memory. The early version of the non-leather seat did not have seat warmer but I believe the later models has seat warmer for the non-leather seat. You would need to check with Tesla Motors Hong Kong to confirm.

Thanks for the info, Waidy.

Imagine being a seat, and your only job is that people sit on you, fart on you, sweat on you.

Maybe it's better the seats don't have memory :tongue:

But now it's getting difficult again - leather or fabric ...

EDIT: I just saw a user in this post claim the fabric seats are now both with memory and heat:

Last edited:
That's good that non-leather seat now have all the functions that leather seat has. I am an vegan so I didn't order leather seat. Since my MS is one of the early delivery (November '12), it didn't have the bun warmer nor memory. Two weeks after I owned it I complained to Tesla that why my USD$120K car doesn't have the basic bun warmer and memory seat. Long story short, they changed it and I am able to warm my bun !!

Thanks for the info, Waidy.

Imagine being a seat, and your only job is that people sit on you, fart on you, sweat on you.

Maybe it's better the seats don't have memory :tongue:

But now it's getting difficult again - leather or fabric ...

EDIT: I just saw a user in this post claim the fabric seats are now both with memory and heat:

It seems very rare for people to choose 21" wheels? Maybe i'm the only one interested to install it as pre-set. Will anyone of you would like to change into 21" after receive your Model S? Just curious and thoughts sharing. :)

I'm going for 19", then will probably get some nice aftermarket 20". I think $34,900 is a bit much for such upgrade, and those 21s" aren't even forged.

It seems very rare for people to choose 21" wheels? Maybe i'm the only one interested to install it as pre-set. Will anyone of you would like to change into 21" after receive your Model S? Just curious and thoughts sharing. :)

One more thing that wasn't replied, I believe the 21" wheels also gives a more firm ride. Which is fine if you are on a track day, but if you care more for comfort, then 19" is better. And as others mention, price, noise, wear.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I am going to remain with this setup - until I change my mind again :rolleyes:

Tesla model S config.png

Later on, getting those seat covers from http://www.wetokole.com/tesla_model_s_seat_covers-Full-Piping.html

And I would consider to pimp it up, covering the chrome parts with silver metallic tape to make it even more silver. Last priority though!

The only comment I would say is that if you are thinking of resale value in Hong Kong leather seats are a must. I have never seen a luxury car here without them, people are really keen on them. But then the price adds up....

Here's to a good Wednesday at 11am!

The only comment I would say is that if you are thinking of resale value in Hong Kong leather seats are a must. I have never seen a luxury car here without them, people are really keen on them. But then the price adds up....

Here's to a good Wednesday at 11am!

Forget sports, we should meet at a bar near where the speech is Wednesday at 10, and ask them to show the speech live, while getting silly on beers! Anyone else not working Wednesday morning :cool: ? That would be a great way to meet other upcoming Tesla model S owners, and we can see who dares to hit the red CONFIRM NOW button first.

After reading on these forums about leather vs textile, I decided on the textile - with a cover - as mentioned above. I don't plan to sell the car for a while, depends on when the model E is released in HK, maybe I would downgrade?

It's a very good question, though, whether dual chargers would be a good investment. At the moment, I cannot see the point, but who knows, maybe there will be 80 amp points publicly available later on?

It seems some people in the US regretted not getting it, while others say it doesn't make any difference.

Does retrofitting dual charger come with the HPWC?

I can imagine a scenario where some shopping malls or other public parking stations install HPWC or equivalent (if they cannot have super chargers). Let's see, what would you do, if you had a shopping mall? You don't want people to long term park, you want them to park, spend money, then leave, so there is room for the next customer, right? So with 80 amp, you can charge quite much, won't take too many hours to fill from empty. Maybe I would say free charging and free parking for up to three hours, if you spend more than 500 HKD, after that you pay XX pr hour. XX might even be more than normal parking, if EV spots are limited. Hence, if it is an 80 amp HPWC, but you don't have dual chargers, you might not be able to charge as much as you want, in three hours (depending on the charge when you arrived). For me, it would be a no-brainer if I could go somewhere like weekly, park-n-charge for free while having lunch with the family and stocking up on groceries.

Price for a dual charger retrofit should be around 28,000 HKD, while it will cost 11,600 HKD to do it when ordering the car, see Shop Tesla Gear Dual Charger with Installation

So much for remaining with that setup above.

Anyones thoughts on this, is it worth a "wait to see" about the dual chargers? 11,600 HKD out of ~700K is less than 2% of the price, while a retrofit is 2 1/2 times as expensive.

Last edited:
Forget sports, we should meet at a bar near where the speech is Wednesday at 10, and ask them to show the speech live, while getting silly on beers! Anyone else not working Wednesday morning :cool: ? That would be a great way to meet other upcoming Tesla model S owners, and we can see who dares to hit the red CONFIRM NOW button first.

After reading on these forums about leather vs textile, I decided on the textile - with a cover - as mentioned above. I don't plan to sell the car for a while, depends on when the model E is released in HK, maybe I would downgrade?

It's a very good question, though, whether dual chargers would be a good investment. At the moment, I cannot see the point, but who knows, maybe there will be 80 amp points publicly available later on?

It seems some people in the US regretted not getting it, while others say it doesn't make any difference.

Does retrofitting dual charger come with the HPWC?

I can imagine a scenario where some shopping malls or other public parking stations install HPWC or equivalent (if they cannot have super chargers). Let's see, what would you do, if you had a shopping mall? You don't want people to long term park, you want them to park, spend money, then leave, so there is room for the next customer, right? So with 80 amp, you can charge quite much, won't take too many hours to fill from empty. Maybe I would say free charging and free parking for up to three hours, if you spend more than 500 HKD, after that you pay XX pr hour. XX might even be more than normal parking, if EV spots are limited. Hence, if it is an 80 amp HPWC, but you don't have dual chargers, you might not be able to charge as much as you want, in three hours (depending on the charge when you arrived). For me, it would be a no-brainer if I could go somewhere like weekly, park-n-charge for free while having lunch with the family and stocking up on groceries.

Price for a dual charger retrofit should be around 28,000 HKD, while it will cost 11,600 HKD to do it when ordering the car, see Shop Tesla Gear Dual Charger with Installation

So much for remaining with that setup above.

Anyones thoughts on this, is it worth a "wait to see" about the dual chargers? 11,600 HKD out of ~700K is less than 2% of the price, while a retrofit is 2 1/2 times as expensive.

I'm going for textile with cover too, though not sure where to get the cover, sincere I'm getting a 60kW model and it is not consider as such a luxury car. I remember I saw someone posting a link somewhere on this forum. Anyone has (more) source?

I think it would be great to meet up some day when we all get our hands on our Model S. It will be real cool to see Model Ss touring Hong Kong.