Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Wh/mi are you getting with AWD and P cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new model 3 owner (5 days), just over 305mi in so far, but only 244 recorded in TeslaFi (didn't have it day 0) and my lifetime efficiency is 272 Wh/Mile, and best I've seen so far on a highway drive more than 10 miles is 228 Wh/Mile. I'm satisfied with this if it's only going to get better as the car breaks in... Car details in signature.

AWD, stock 18's with aeros off, temps here are in the 80-90's, a/c @72, prob 40/60 mix highway/city, ~1200 miles averaged 255 wh/mi.

I do like to show off the acceleration to everyone I show the car to, so this likely affects the overall numbers :)

The efficiency definitely drops above 65. I will try do some comparisons with and without the aeros on equivalent runs.

We got the first AWD (not P, but should be the same) vs. RWD energy consumption test over here:

Any Model 3 RWD 18" driver willing to head to the Springfield MO area for data gathering vs. an AWD?

Due to traffic and some other factors they had rather poor quality data (more data collection, incl. rolldown tests, would be awesome! ;) ), but so far it's looking like the difference between AWD/P and RWD isn't nearly as much as the EPA tests suggest. Which would support the hypothesis that the EPA tests were done with different wheels than the RWD.

But that's based on rather limited data so far.

P 18” wheels without Aeros.
A/C set 69-70. St. Louis has been hot the last few weeks.
1500mi wh/mi 265.
Probably 60/40 highway/city driving. I suspect if I showed the car off less to friends by mashing the pedal my numbers would be even better but I didn’t get a P to baby it. I also don’t drive slow so driving 75-80 on interstate regularly which is an efficiency killer. I suspect babying the car and driving the speed limit 250wh/mi is a possibility. Glad I found this thread, been curious to compare to other P/AWD cars.

AWD, 18 aeros, about 850 miles, ~75% highway, 257 lifetime wh/mi so far. I try to go about 75 on the highway, and looks like I got about 260 with AC set at 77, outside temps in the 80s on a long drive a few days ago.

Someone mentioned this upthread... the first thousand plus miles will be less efficient due to the tires needing to be broken in.

In fact, JB Straubel mentioned this in a blog back in 2014,

"It is also worth noting that all new tires have a break in period for the first ~1,000 miles where the total vehicle efficiency is reduced by up to 5%. This can surprise (negatively) new owners or customers who have just changed their tires but will quickly improve back to a normal baseline."

Driving Range for the Model S Family

Dual motor, 18” aero wheels. 3,400 miles in three weeks. :cool:

27C71904-F738-4B71-8780-9FCAF31C1FFB.jpeg

I took my M3P+ (20" wheels with Pilot Sport tires) on a 46 mile trip this morning to test its efficiency. It was an out and back on the freeway, going between 65 and 75 MPH. I probably averaged around 69 mph. I got 296 wh/mi.

Outside temp: 55F, inside set to 66F with AC off.
Used auto-steer for more than half the time.
Tires started the day at 41 psi all around.
Just me in the car.

My trip with 4 in the car yesterday from Portland out the Columbia River Gorge and back, with some wind and rain on the way back to contend with, and averaging around 70 MPH over 285 miles was pretty bad, at 356 wh/mi.

I sure hope my car gets more efficient, but I don't know that it will. Makes me wonder if it's a bit out of spec, compared to what others are getting. I'd love to hear specifically from more folks with non-aero wheels & pilot sport tires - what efficiency are you getting?

IMG_20180923_091726.jpg

Only 200 miles in but with P3D+ getting 300Wh/mi on a highway run noticed efficiency is much worse at 75. Temperature was 65 and no rain

Two tricks. Drafting behind trucks and setting to chill mode seems to help.

Interesting to see our Model X is about 320wh with these tricks. Hopefully the 5% improvement as tire break in will help. As that’s 285Wh/mile :)

I took my M3P+ (20" wheels with Pilot Sport tires) on a 46 mile trip this morning to test its efficiency. It was an out and back on the freeway, going between 65 and 75 MPH. I probably averaged around 69 mph. I got 296 wh/mi.

Outside temp: 55F, inside set to 66F with AC off.
Used auto-steer for more than half the time.
Tires started the day at 41 psi all around.
Just me in the car.

My trip with 4 in the car yesterday from Portland out the Columbia River Gorge and back, with some wind and rain on the way back to contend with, and averaging around 70 MPH over 285 miles was pretty bad, at 356 wh/mi.

I sure hope my car gets more efficient, but I don't know that it will. Makes me wonder if it's a bit out of spec, compared to what others are getting. I'd love to hear specifically from more folks with non-aero wheels & pilot sport tires - what efficiency are you getting?

View attachment 337368

No, you're just checking all of the inefficiency red flags.
  • AWD/P? Check!
  • Larger wheels? Check!
  • Specifically, the very draggy 20" wheels? Check!
  • Fast speeds? Check!
  • Wind? Check!
  • Wet roads (cool the tires and amplify their rolling losses)? Check!
  • New tires? Check!
If you'll excuse a minor complaint... I'm kind of getting tired about people who willingly put their cars in inefficient configurations and then complain about efficiency. But that's just me....

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm not trying to complain. I'm providing addional data that contributes to the conversation. And I want to understand the efficiency of my car, big wheels and sticky tires and all. Do I expect that wind and rain and weight and wheels and tires affect efficiency? Yeah, I do.

Now let's continue to gather data and share experiences.

Reactions: SteveG3
About 1300 miles in and I’m at 237 lifetime.
3D, Aeros (no caps), 80/20 highway/city, A/C on 70, autopilot whenever possible, and chill mode for about 1000 of those 1300 miles.

Almost the same here except never went into chill mode.
1580 miles, 241 lifetime
3D, Aero No caps, 90/10 highway/city, AC auto on 70, autopilot when possible (about 70 to 80%)

Reactions: AnarchyEOD
Our AWD (non P) with 18" wheels has about 900 miles now with lifetime Wh/mi = 230. We have driven about 600 miles on relatively flat freeways at 65 mph average with aero caps on and pressure=45psi; observed Wh/mi = 235. With caps off and pressure= 42 psi we have 140 miles driving in mountain areas with speeds from 35 to 65, and remainder local street driving at 25-45 mph.

I have done only a few full acceleration runs, mostly during demo rides to get some screams from my granddaughter and her teen friends :).

M3P with 20 wheels and the sport tires.
340wh/mi over 400 miles life time.

Took me by surprise that the performance is this high wh/mi compared to the standard LR or AWD. Really can't be just the up sized wheels and tires. My 340wh/mi is even higher then most other M3P owners are reporting.

I am not driving super crazy, weather outside has been a perfect 78 degrees about. Usually just me as only passenger in the car.

I have called Tesla service and they said they would run a battery diagnostic test my car. Takes 4 days. I will report back then.