Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Wh/mi are you getting with AWD and P cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
74 degrees on auto, fan is usually on speed 2, sometimes on 3. Going there (gym) has a small uphill stretch, so coming back should maybe offset.

Which trip counter metric are you looking at? The Last Charge, or Since [time]. It may be including your phantom drain in the metric if you use Last Charge.

Also, how often are you using the real brakes? I started getting better efficiency when I learned to drive using mosty regen to slow.

Which trip counter metric are you looking at? The Last Charge, or Since [time]. It may be including your phantom drain in the metric if you use Last Charge.

Also, how often are you using the real brakes? I started getting better efficiency when I learned to drive using mosty regen to slow.

The above 588 was Since Time...Since Last Charge I think is around 408...All Time is 371 wh/mi.
Only using brakes for full stops, have the one pedal driving style down pretty well.

The above 588 was Since Time...Since Last Charge I think is around 408...All Time is 371 wh/mi.
Only using brakes for full stops, have the one pedal driving style down pretty well.

All time 371 doesn't seem to out of place for 20" wheels if you are mostly driving city or spiritedly. For whatever reason I get bad efficiency driving about town (can get mid 400-500) with all the stop and go but get better efficiency on freeway.

Let us know what SC says but I bet it'll get better with time as tires break in, etc.

Last edited:
All time 371 doesn't seem to out of place for 20" wheels if you are mostly driving city or spiritedly. For whatever reason I get bad efficiency driving about town (can get mid 400-500) with all the stop and go but get better efficiency on freeway.

Let us know what SC says but I bet it'll get better with time as tires break in, etc.

I get the reverse. Around town better than freeway. That's what the EPA states in its ratings too. The EPA also suggests that the 20 inch wheel AWD shouldn't be hugely less than the RWD 18 inch wheels, although there is debate on that.

I drive ~75% freeway and 25% around town. Live in a ruralish area where most roads even in town are somewhat open. Freeway driving consists of autopilot set to 79mph but occasional traffic. I drive with a lot of “spirit” rarely can I go a whole drive without punching it. Live in California, weather has been mild to hot since I picked up the car.
AWD Aero rims

Attachments

• D21D2AC0-E745-4FBB-8499-C246324181A3.jpeg
    D21D2AC0-E745-4FBB-8499-C246324181A3.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 245

Have 19's not 20's...will report back from service.

I drive ~75% freeway and 25% around town. Live in a ruralish area where most roads even in town are somewhat open. Freeway driving consists of autopilot set to 79mph but occasional traffic. I drive with a lot of “spirit” rarely can I go a whole drive without punching it. Live in California, weather has been mild to hot since I picked up the car.
AWD Aero rims

Wow, that's amazing performance/range.

Well, I was a naysayer earlier in the thread but I’m starting to change my mind. P3D- with OEM 19” sports. 245 Wh/m on a 500 mile trip from Portland to Seattle and back. 30 miles in pretty heavy rain. That’s ~20% better than my Model S P85 would get. That’s great.

Attachments

• E7000463-4DDB-4DFF-9DDA-3936978E2FD7.jpeg
    E7000463-4DDB-4DFF-9DDA-3936978E2FD7.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 187
Well, I was a naysayer earlier in the thread but I’m starting to change my mind. P3D- with OEM 19” sports. 245 Wh/m on a 500 mile trip from Portland to Seattle and back. 30 miles in pretty heavy rain. That’s ~20% better than my Model S P85 would get. That’s great.

M3P should be a little bit more efficient, as the rear motor, which does all the the low to moderate load driving, is a more efficient design using a permanent magnet instead of an AC induction design (which is still the MO of the front motor on the M3P). Not clear what the hard data and testing might say about a percentage improvement, but your 20% isn't out of line. I would have guessed ~15%.

M3P should be a little bit more efficient, as the rear motor, which does all the the low to moderate load driving, is a more efficient design using a permanent magnet instead of an AC induction design (which is still the MO of the front motor on the M3P). Not clear what the hard data and testing might say about a percentage improvement, but your 20% isn't out of line. I would have guessed ~15%.

Yeah, something around there. I had around 90,000 miles on my model S and I would guess the same trip would have been about 300Wh/m (vs 245Wh/m in the P3D- with 19s)

I wish TeslaFi was free. I didn't take many pictures but I think AWD uses around 10% more energy over RWD but regens 5% more. AWD efficiency is very spiky and RWD efficiently is very smooth. I will need to reach 2,000 miles to get a good reading. My RWD has been consistent since 1,000 miles.

The RWD is 173 kWH (Lifetime at 191) and the AWD is 187 (I think it will be 205 at 1,000mile).

IMG_5065-01.jpeg

20181001_195104.jpg

I have I just put over 1,000 miles on my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade (e.g., having 20" wheels), and I have the following to report:

With 1,028 miles on the odometer, I've used 311 kWh, and I get 303 Wh/mi. I drive probably about 90% city, 10% highway. Mostly short distances, about 4 miles daily. Tire pressure for all 4 wheels are usually between 40-42 PSI. I exclusively Supercharge, usually when it dips down around 10-20% and bring it back up to about 80%. I used to Supercharge to 248 miles at 80% SOC limit, but now I get about 245 miles at 80%. So my battery has degraded about 1%.

I've scaled back on the crazy launches and now accelerate more smoothly like a regular ICE. I do note that it is possible to achieve under 300 Wh/mi, but that's only if I drive chill and do the speed limit. Since summer passed by, I noticed that running the AC really does kill the range. Right now, for my daily 4 mile round trip, I deplete about 4-5 miles of range in about 74 degrees fall weather. When it was during summer, it would deplete about 7-8 miles with AC running at 72 degrees.

My vampire drain has improved over the lifetime ownership of my car, probably due to time and vehicle software updates (combined with two scroll button reboots after each software updates; BTW, no need to press down on the brake pedal). I started out with losing about 10-12 miles a day when I picked up my car to now about 1-3 miles a day. But mostly, it's been about 1 mile or less now, which is great.

Medx,

I was seeing bad in-town efficiency on short trips as well, up until a few days ago. I'm at 500 miles on the ODO, and I've noticed that my P3D+ is getting in the 250 - 275 Wh/mi range now on trips of 2-4 miles, whereas before I was well into the 300's. As you get a few more miles on your car's systems, and on your tires, I'll be curious to hear if you see a similar improvement in efficiency.

Have 19's not 20's...will report back from service.

Wow, that's amazing performance/range.

Reactions: medx
I have M3P+ with 20 inch wheels and after about 250 miles only around 318 wh/mile with mostly highway driving. I am hoping it will improve over time so my range will be more closer to the stated greater than 300 miles when fully charged. I doubt I will get that in reality.

70 miles on the odometer. Probably 85% city, 15% highway so far. Back and forth from the gym last night, 2 mile round trip - 588 wh/mi...not even driving hard.

I went straight to a Super Charger station when I took delivery, since the car only had half it's charge. I was only getting 34 kw or 133 mi/hr charge, which I thought was crazy low, so I swapped chargers and still had the same speed. I asked two Model S' what they were getting for speed and both were over 250 mi/hr in the same chargers I was using.

Have a service appointment on Monday, so going to ask them to check the battery while it's there.

Two miles is not enough distance to get an accurate and meaningful measure of the vehicle's average consumption. A slight grade or the extra air conditioning load from cooling the car down after being parked in the sun is enough to heavily skew the results.

Regarding your Supercharging speed, if you were at a high state of charge when you plugged in (70% or more), that would explain the slow speed. If you plug in at under 40%, you should see charging rates over 100 kW unless the battery is cold (under 50F).

I recommend going out for a nice 50 to 100 mile drive on a mix of highway and back roads (not city stop-and-go) before taking your car in for service. This will give you much more meaningful data on your consumption.

P3D+ with a little over 1000mi. so far, probably 45% of which are highway. Mostly "Chill" mode with standard regen. Lifetime average is 296Wh/mi. so far. On a longer highway trip, it seemed to me I could average 275 when kept under 70mph. I think 275 is certainly a believable, and probably tolerable, premium for having Pilot 4S tires.