Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will come first, the $35K Model 3 or a $35K Used Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those saving for the 3.... I'm guessing it will be fairly easy to find used Model S's available for 35K or less before the 3's actually are delivered.

First off, do you agree $35K Model S's will come before the Model 3 is released or not?

Secondly, would you rather have a new bare bones Model 3 or a used, high mileage (but probably well optioned) Model S for your $35K?

Of course, this will be easier to answer once the reveal happens on March 31, but why wait? Throw your opinions in now!

For those saving for the 3.... I'm guessing it will be fairly easy to find used Model S's available for 35K or less before the 3's actually are delivered.

First off, do you agree $35K Model S's will come before the Model 3 is released or not?

Secondly, would you rather have a new bare bones Model 3 or a used, high mileage (but probably well optioned) Model S for your $35K?

Of course, this will be easier to answer once the reveal happens on March 31, but why wait? Throw your opinions in now!
Given the info from today that the Model ☰ is the next gen Tesla tech it makes it easy for me.
The new car with options all the way.

I've been wondering the same thing. I think I've seen the S currently going for around $50k (or $60k on the Tesla pre-owned site), but without the AP hardware, so it will probably be a while longer before we see the S with AP hardware going for the $35k range.

That being said, I'd prefer something smaller than the S, so am leaning towards the 3, but will make a game day decision when we get closer to the actual release date.

Decent premise but I'd say it needs a modification as the Model 3 will have Autopilot hardware.

Will a 2012 or 2013 hit $35,000 before Model 3 comes out? I don't care, they don't have AP.

Will a 2014 or 2015 Model S with AP hit $35,000 before Model 3 comes out. I'm not sure. See my next conditional statement.

Will the Model 3 have bioweapon defense mode (a big honkin oversized 3 type HEPA filter and fan logic to create positive pressure along with whatever else it takes to make that happen)? If Model 3 is super HEPA mode enabled then yeah I'll wait for Model 3. If Model 3 does not have that and it remains a Model X feature only then I'll consider a 2014/2015 Model S should it be a good value vs an AP enabled Model 3.

If Model X remains the only one with bioweapon defense mode I'll consider upgrading one of my cars to a Model X later when there is a cheap enough CPO but we know that will be several years after Model 3 is out.

I think in 2 years they will be down to 35k or lower. It's probably gonna be a 6 year old car. A quick look an KBB says a 2010 6 series is worth up to $29k. I used the 2010 BMW because it's currently 6ish years old. When inventory was good, they had CPO model S60s in the high 40's. It would really be interesting to compare the price of a CPO model S vs a Model 3 if there are still tax credits available.

The Model S will drop once the Model 3 is out. No doubt. Many Model S were sold because it was the only EV with a decent range. People were willing to pay a higher price because there was no alternative. Once the Bolt and 3 and possibly a new Leaf is out, there are alternative and the Model S sales and used prices will drop. When will it come down to 35k? I would say 2 years from now.

I vote the 35k Model S will be come first. Reason is that the leaps made in Autopilot will make the ones we have today junk in comparison, thus losing massive value. I myself am salivating to buy the next gen autopilot if its "true" autopilot, meaning I get in the car, tell it where I want to go, and read my book until the car parks itself at my destination. If that's out in 2 or three years, a distinct possibility, the Model S I'm driving now will be devalued greatly. Which I hope happens!

There's been a few Model Ses sold for for low $40K, so it's not that much of a stretch that the price will come down even further in next couple of years. It's been speculated that the ones sold for that low were Model Ses which were 40KWh, but have their batteries unlocked to 60KWh when they came they were sold as CPO.

Will the Model 3 have bioweapon defense mode (a big honkin oversized 3 type HEPA filter and fan logic to create positive pressure along with whatever else it takes to make that happen)? If Model 3 is super HEPA mode enabled then yeah I'll wait for Model 3. If Model 3 does not have that and it remains a Model X feature only then I'll consider a 2014/2015 Model S should it be a good value vs an AP enabled Model 3.

If Model X remains the only one with bioweapon defense mode I'll consider upgrading one of my cars to a Model X later when there is a cheap enough CPO but we know that will be several years after Model 3 is out.
What's the appeal? The whole "biodefense filter" seems like a silly gimmick to me.

$35K Model 3 first.

Curious, I plugged my 2013 P85 w/ 80K miles on it into KBB and they still predicted I could get $55K for trade in. If a high mileage non-AP car like mine is still in the mid 50s after getting through the steep part of the depreciation curve, I would be surprised to see even a 2012 S60 get into the $35K range in 20 months.

I vote the 35k Model S will be come first. Reason is that the leaps made in Autopilot will make the ones we have today junk in comparison, thus losing massive value. I myself am salivating to buy the next gen autopilot if its "true" autopilot, meaning I get in the car, tell it where I want to go, and read my book until the car parks itself at my destination. If that's out in 2 or three years, a distinct possibility, the Model S I'm driving now will be devalued greatly. Which I hope happens!

I think that is more likely to come first in an updated Model S rather than the Model 3, which is much more likely to have the existing tech (that's certainly the normal way, introduce the tech on the high end cars, migrate it to the low end ones). Also, there probably will be a 35k Model S in that time frame, but it will have absolutely no autopilot, just like my car.

When I'm pay in the area about $35k(+?) for a car, it will be for a low mileage car. And to wait for at low mileage TMS in good conditions and with the options I want to go sub $35k will be well longer then to wait for a brand new TM3.

What's the appeal? The whole "biodefense filter" seems like a silly gimmick to me.

Pollen. Until you live somewhere that your car starts the day blue and ends the day Yellow you don't know pollen like I do. Once you do know it you'll do anything to keep it out of your car, and keep it out of your nose.

Who knows, maybe you are a lucky one that could sit in between 10,000,000 pollen generators and never sneeze, never get watery eyes, never get a runny nose, never get a sinus infection, never cough, never have any sort of reaction.

I wouldn't run that mode 24/7 but I'd sure run it every spring when the pollen is covering everything and its floating everywhere.

I also wonder if the larger filter might be able to do a better job vs pollen even without turning on bioweapon defense mode. Maybe just having a Model X would be better for allergy sufferers than a Model S due to the different size/type filter.

I don't want the filter based on what it can do vs tear gas or viruses or zombie outbreaks. I just want my wife and I to cough less and sneeze less.

Last edited: