Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would happen if you end up in water?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The battery is well protect so I don't think you have anything to fear from that.

There doors would be my biggest question, and if I had an X I'd make sure I knew how to get out in the event of a power loss. In the S if you sit in the back there is an emergency door release latch.

I have been asked what would happen if you end up in water such as a canal or lake? I am unsure of the answer. Would all power be cut once you hit the water?
I am sure Tesla did tests? It would be good to know.
You get wet.

Elon did say that these vehicles almost float and with the right rims, the wheels could be used for propulsion. Not to mention that he is considering building a small number of amphibian submersibles, similar to the Lotus in the Bond film.

Get a glass breaker, i.e. LifeHammer and put one on each side of vehicle....

+1000. Watch the mythbusters episode where they simulate a car going underwater and turning over (very common in deep enough water). He wouldn't have made it out alive without the assistance of the diver with him. In any car you will have to break the glass to get out of the vehicle in a timely manner due to the pressures from the water on the doors. I have glass breakers/seatbelt cutter tools in all my cars accessible to all occupants.

I have been asked what would happen if you end up in water such as a canal or lake? I am unsure of the answer. Would all power be cut once you hit the water?
I am sure Tesla did tests? It would be good to know.

I presume the folks asking the question are more thinking about the electric aspects of safety.

The high voltage connections are all sealed, and neither side is grounded to the frame - and if either side grounds to the frame, the contactors are supposed to open, which would isolate the high voltage in the battery pack (and kill all propulsion.)

As others have said, any car in the water is a dangerous place to be, but a properly designed modern EV isn't any more dangerous than any other car.

Reactions: FarmerDave
Um, you do know the falcon wing doors can be manually opened from inside too don't you?

It's doubtful that any doors can be opened from the inside (or the outside) until the pressures equalize.

Even then, do you expect to be able to pry the speaker grill off and find the mechanical release cable in the dark water in the time you'll have left?

It's doubtful that any doors can be opened from the inside (or the outside) until the pressures equalize.

Even then, do you expect to be able to pry the speaker grill off and find the mechanical release cable in the dark water in the time you'll have left?
They might very well be easier to open (because they go out just a bit before going up).

To answer your question though, no, but the post I replied to made it sound like there was no way to manually open the falcon wing doors.

Like others said, get a glass breaker.

This would happen:

Things like that video make me long for the day when Tesla makes a serious offroad-capable vehicle for a reasonable price. In the highlands here you often have to ford streams and it's terrifying if you think your engine is going to drown. Knowing that you could just float and slowly wheel your way to the other side would be incredible.

Also, once you've really soaked your car, your brakes can become practically worthless until they dry out. Not so with regen.

Could you roll down the windows?

Depends on when you start. If you start rolling them down when the car is on the surface, it'll work fine, even if part of the window is submerged.

If the car is already several feet under water, the pressure differential is pushing the window against its track, which means the force required to move the window is much higher, likely more than the motor can deliver.