TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What would happen if you end up in water?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by modelx007, Aug 15, 2016.

1. modelx007

modelx007 Member

I have been asked what would happen if you end up in water such as a canal or lake? I am unsure of the answer. Would all power be cut once you hit the water?
    I am sure Tesla did tests? It would be good to know.

• Like x 1
  2. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

The battery is well protect so I don't think you have anything to fear from that.

There doors would be my biggest question, and if I had an X I'd make sure I knew how to get out in the event of a power loss. In the S if you sit in the back there is an emergency door release latch.

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

You get wet.

Elon did say that these vehicles almost float and with the right rims, the wheels could be used for propulsion. Not to mention that he is considering building a small number of amphibian submersibles, similar to the Lotus in the Bond film.

4. KZKZ

KZKZ Member

Anyone in the third row would be doomed. Its hard enough to get out of the third row when the seats are working.

The second row passengers would have to try to escape through the front doors, if the front doors were manually opened.

• Informative x 1
  5. X Fan

X Fan Member

Get a glass breaker, i.e. LifeHammer and put one on each side of vehicle....

• Like x 1
  6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

+1000. Watch the mythbusters episode where they simulate a car going underwater and turning over (very common in deep enough water). He wouldn't have made it out alive without the assistance of the diver with him. In any car you will have to break the glass to get out of the vehicle in a timely manner due to the pressures from the water on the doors. I have glass breakers/seatbelt cutter tools in all my cars accessible to all occupants.

• Informative x 2
  7. electrish

electrish I Sing the Body Electric

This would happen:

8. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

I've seen this before when it hit the blogs, but I find it hard to believe his car wasn't affected afterward in some way. Does anyone remember which thread discussed it here?

9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I presume the folks asking the question are more thinking about the electric aspects of safety.

The high voltage connections are all sealed, and neither side is grounded to the frame - and if either side grounds to the frame, the contactors are supposed to open, which would isolate the high voltage in the battery pack (and kill all propulsion.)

As others have said, any car in the water is a dangerous place to be, but a properly designed modern EV isn't any more dangerous than any other car.

• Like x 1
  10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Um, you do know the falcon wing doors can be manually opened from inside too don't you?

11. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

With my experience with Model X seals, it won't take long for water to come in.

12. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Is that what BioDefense Mode is for? ;)

• Funny x 1
  13. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

It's doubtful that any doors can be opened from the inside (or the outside) until the pressures equalize.

Even then, do you expect to be able to pry the speaker grill off and find the mechanical release cable in the dark water in the time you'll have left?

14. Vitold

Vitold Member

Exactly, just break the glass.

15. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

They might very well be easier to open (because they go out just a bit before going up).

To answer your question though, no, but the post I replied to made it sound like there was no way to manually open the falcon wing doors.

Like others said, get a glass breaker.