Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you like to see added in software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity, why would you want this?

Two reasons.

1) A minor reason, as described by SparkyT (among others), the current implementation of TACC breaks every now and then for no reason. This happens a couple of times every trip I make with the car. I realize this is AI learning and it will likely get better over time but until this is a 'black swan' occurrence I would like to have the choice of using or not using TACC. On our roadsystem (NL) we travel on packed roads, at higher speeds and too close to each other. Certainly not good, but a fact of life. It is only a matter of time till someone either hits me from behind or follows me to have a word (or worse) with me regarding my driving (or breaking) . And I cannot blame them.

2) However, the biggest beef I have with TACC is the way it decides at what speed to travel. I described the problem I have with this elsewhere and will do it again below in the faint hope someone from Tesla reads it and finally wakes up:

2.1) If I drive and I engage a cruise control, I basically want my car to maintain the speed I'm going at. I do not want my car to accelerate to a speed it thinks it needs to be going. Never ever I want my car to decide the speed I want to travel at. Even if the system that figures out the right speed would work flawlessly (which it does not) I am the one ultimately responsible for how fast my car goes where and when. If I decide to drive 80k on a 130k road I should not have to dial my speed back in an accelerating car every time I engage TACC. And to add insult to injury :), if I drive 130k on an 80k road and engage TACC my Tesla does exactly what I expect, namely it maintains my speed. Why? Why doesn't it slow down then?

2.2) I do not know how that is in the USA, but the system that figures out the speed for TACC as it stands now cannot work on our (NL) road system. We have variable speed limits on nearly all our highways. These speeds are time and situation dependent (130 at night, 120 between 06:00 and 19:00, 100k when the peak hour lane is open, 90k, 80k, 70k or 50k when needed in case of accidents, roadworks, traffic jams etcetera. Mind you, all on the same road.

As long as my car is unable to reliably read and interpret roadsigns and the overhead electronic signs it will only sometimes get the speed right. But even then only I can see how busy a road is, in how much of a hurry I am and only I decide what would be my ideal speed. Not my car, that demonstrates this shortcoming by aggressively accelerating at very inappropriate moments when left to its TACC devices.

Does this mean I am against TACC? No, not at all. If I drive at night, on a deserted road, it works very nice. I then have to engage TACC only a couple of times. The speeds it proposes in that situation are more right than wrong so I adjust the speed I want to travel at only a few times and my car nicely goes along with other traffic, taking tedious work from me. And of course in very heavy start-stop traffic it also is a great feature; you set it, and it neatly follows the flow of traffic.

The problems with TACC occur in normal daily driving on busy roads. Where I used the CC in my previous V70 extensively I find myself using it less and less in my M3 because I am fed up with setting the right speed every time I engage TACC or every time road speeds change. This is just too much work for a system that supposedly makes my life easier.

So please PLEASE give us a simple cruise control. Make it an option. Call it "Paul's Mode". When this mode is enabled pushing the gear lever down enables the CC with the current speed set. The right scroll wheel increases and decreases the CC speed. Pushing the right scroll wheel cancels / resumes the set speed. Downhill speed is maintained automatically by regen. No active breaking is done by the CC system, apart of course from emergency breaking (which is another system). If the break pedal is used the CC is cancelled and can be resumed with pushing the right scroll wheel to use the previous set speed or scroll up or down to pick up the current speed. If the gear lever is moved up the CC is disabled. More or less exactly how CC works in cars since way back when.

All the hardware is there so it could be a software-only implementation which should be cheaper than when hardware is to be changed. And as stated, I would gladly pay a couple of hundred euro for this option.

It could potentially make a lot of people very happy without hurting others that just leave 'Paul's mode" off. :)

Last edited:
Agree, this would be nice.

Kim, from Like Tesla, just posted this 3 days ago. She ran a twitter poll, collected about 50k responses, and then rank ordered them by popularity and forwarded them to Tesla. Short of your feedback mechanism, YouTube influencers might be the best way to get popular opinion to Tesla.

Sounded like sentry mode enhancements were the most requested software change.

Ah yes. The "influencers." While Kim sorta grates on me, I'm glad that she's done this. Funny that she says "If you have another idea that we didn't discuss, post it in the comments." And since they only discussed a mere handful of ideas.... surprise! thousands of great ideas in the comments section. We the owners would be awesome at listing and ranking these things. And it is obvious that we are WILLING to do it. Sucks a bit that only the "influencers" have a direct pipe to Tesla. Not because they know the most or are in any way relevant in the real world... but because they have a lot of followers. :sigh:

Anyway... thanks much for letting me, know. The problem now is that the list she sent in is stagnant, and likely lacks nuance when similar requests are all grouped together as a single unit.

When searching for a location in Navigation that have multiple listings, i.e. Starbucks, I would like to see the closest listed first.

Right now, I really do not understand how they are listed, but it certainly is not closest first. I have to look at the distances, then choose.

Would be way easier if they list in proximity to my location.

Vin

Not sure if posted here but: ability to review USB DashCam and Sentry footage from the vehicle.
I thought you were kidding at first, but then I remembered how daunting it was to read this whole thread.

Rest assured, it seems to be one of the most popular requests (as well as a head-scratcher as to why this functionality doesn't exist yet when we seem to receive game after game to play on the screen... Let me play "review my Sentry/DashCam vid"!

When searching for a location in Navigation that have multiple listings, i.e. Starbucks, I would like to see the closest listed first.

Right now, I really do not understand how they are listed, but it certainly is not closest first. I have to look at the distances, then choose.

Would be way easier if they list in proximity to my location.

Vin
Good call. I don't search like that often, but each time I do, I agree that the ordered list makes NO sense. As well, why can't I ask to "navigate to Steve's" when Steve is in my contacts that the car is allowed to see and use? I have to look up Steve's contact, and manually type in his address? Nuts. Especially while driving!

I thought you were kidding at first, but then I remembered how daunting it was to read this whole thread.

Rest assured, it seems to be one of the most popular requests (as well as a head-scratcher as to why this functionality doesn't exist yet when we seem to receive game after game to play on the screen... Let me play "review my Sentry/DashCam vid"!
Not ALL of it please, just the events

Good call. I don't search like that often, but each time I do, I agree that the ordered list makes NO sense. As well, why can't I ask to "navigate to Steve's" when Steve is in my contacts that the car is allowed to see and use? I have to look up Steve's contact, and manually type in his address? Nuts. Especially while driving!
If possible it would be quite brilliant if the car's ear had the same utility as Google assistant. By ... I don't know ... maybe using Google assistant ?