Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you pay for more unlocked acceleration?

What's the max you would you pay for an additional .5 faster 0-60 time?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i asked them to keep my 5k refund for an uncorking... they gave me the canned response of '3.3 is all it's designed for blah blah blah...'
i'd gladly pay 5k for .5 seconds... but how much for a full second off??

You guys need to work on your negotiation skills with Tesla! If it can do more, shouldn't uncorking be free? If it's capable of more, they're probably waiting for reliability data to see whether warranty costs will increase before pushing an update (and also waiting to see what the competition comes up with next year). Maybe the additional warranty cost of a little more torque will be negligible to Tesla! After all, we've got those lot-sorted drive units for highest sigma output; we've got to make the most of them! :)

I feel like....they should have a 30 day trial of "boost" similarly to what Tesla did with EAP.

Let people try it and then bundle it with full self-driving and let people pay it off over a few years as a "subscription" service.

They'd probably get a lot more $ that way as it's a lot easier to justify a few $ a month for goodies...than to plop down $5k here...then $5k there....

You guys need to work on your negotiation skills with Tesla! If it can do more, shouldn't uncorking be free? If it's capable of more, they're probably waiting for reliability data to see whether warranty costs will increase before pushing an update (and also waiting to see what the competition comes up with next year). Maybe the additional warranty cost of a little more torque will be negligible to Tesla! After all, we've got those lot-sorted drive units for highest sigma output; we've got to make the most of them! :)

haha... i didn't specifically ask for an 'uncorking'... i was proposing a solution to their 5k refund debacle. A free software speed upgrade ( 5k charge to new buyers) would give something to all P owners vs their current 5K refund policy... no cost to Tesla, and value added to every current owner ... win-win.
At the end of the day, i really i just want a faster car... still hoping.

I must not be putting off the right vibe. I haven't had a single car try to take me on.
what? no way.

maybe it's my black rims? (thanks adimarpineda )

hV51Is6.jpg

i don't think i'd pay for more speed, she's going to be driving it.

what's funny about BMW drivers, every one of them has to try to race us in the P85. every single fool.
what? no way.

maybe it's my black rims? (thanks adimarpineda )

hV51Is6.jpg
I might need to get my tint done. ;)

Either nobody knows how fast the p3d is here in KC or they all know. I'm leaning towards the former.

Reactions: Olds442
I have the LR RWD and I would definitely pay $2500 for 0.50 seconds or $5000 for 1 second. Still holding out hope that they will uncork all versions for free with at least a half second improvement when they see the drivetrain is reliable. I'd expect sales to slow a bit as the tax credits dwindle, and when/if they do I'm hoping Tesla will increase performance to keep the competition at arms length.

Reactions: tracksyde
I have the LR RWD and I would definitely pay $2500 for 0.50 seconds or $5000 for 1 second. Still holding out hope that they will uncork all versions for free with at least a half second improvement when they see the drivetrain is reliable. I'd expect sales to slow a bit as the tax credits dwindle, and when/if they do I'm hoping Tesla will increase performance to keep the competition at arms length.

Not being judgmental, but if you were willing to pay $5000 for 1 second why didn't you purchase the LR AWD that is rated at .6 seconds faster (but reported by many to be closer to .8 seconds faster). I have the AWD and love the performance and acceleration, but honestly, a part of me wishes I would have splurged even more for the P model.

Some of ordered (due to the $7500 FOMO) right before the dang AWD model was released and could not modify our orders in time. I would have totally gone AWD if I were allowed. The Tesla rep said "they asked their mgr if we could reconfigure" (you know, like they "go in the back room and ask their mgr" when you're negotiating prices but are really out smoking) but couldn't do it because "how would they be able to sell the car I ordered?" and I'm thinking "wtf are you talking about? aren't you behind 200,000 orders?"

Not being judgmental, but if you were willing to pay $5000 for 1 second why didn't you purchase the LR AWD that is rated at .6 seconds faster (but reported by many to be closer to .8 seconds faster). I have the AWD and love the performance and acceleration, but honestly, a part of me wishes I would have splurged even more for the P model.

Some of ordered (due to the $7500 FOMO) right before the dang AWD model was released and could not modify our orders in time. I would have totally gone AWD if I were allowed. The Tesla rep said "they asked their mgr if we could reconfigure" (you know, like they "go in the back room and ask their mgr" when you're negotiating prices but are really out smoking) but couldn't do it because "how would they be able to sell the car I ordered?" and I'm thinking "wtf are you talking about? aren't you behind 200,000 orders?"

That's a really crappy experience to have dealt with and definitely explains the decision. I would have been very upset myself if that happened to me. It makes no sense to tell a customer "No we don't want your extra money", especially when there was such high demand for the cars (400K deposits). But from my dealings with my local SC it doesn't really surprise me. Some things about the Tesla SC are awesome compared to regular dealerships, but I've experienced some of the same shenanigans you'd expect from the dealerships too.

Yeah, I was one of those people who got my car relatively early, but it was about a month before they announced AWD. At that time, I had zero information - I didn't know when AWD would be available, how much it would cost, or how much it would improve the acceleration. There have been a few on this board that have said "Oh you should have waited, you got your car in April and Elon said all along AWD deliveries would start in June and that it would be as or less expensive than it was for the S." To that I would say that this is about the only thing for which Elon's estimate has been accurate. And while I knew I could likely afford the upgrade, the biggest thing was there was no information about how much it would increase performance either. The S 75 was still offered at this time, and the 75D only reduced the 0-60 0.1 second. That's all I had to go on, and I live in So Cal, so the extra traction meant nothing to me. With the info I had at the time,my decision was a sound one.

I love Tesla and I tell everyone who will listen to buy one, but the lack of information that was available to the early adopters did sincerely frustrated me. If I simply would have known that the performance upgrade would be as substantial as it was, I would have waited and spent extra to do so. A simple tweet like "AWD should increase 0-60 about a half second" would have made me wait. I know they were in production hell at the time, but there was certainly information that Tesla knew before I configured that they didn't share. I'm pretty confident there is enough power still in the car that they can make me forget about this if they're willing to uncork it for free or for a fee. But again it sucks not to know if this will ever be an option. I don't understand why they would build a car with extra power yet never let their customers access it, but I don't pretend to know enough about batteries, motors, drivetrains risks etc. to know for sure. I just want whatever power is lying dormant, and I'm willing to pay for it. So why can't we do this damn thing today?

Reactions: tracksyde

I have a P3D+ and still want more speed. The power is never going to be enough. ‘‘Tis the human condition.

If you want instant off the line acceleration? I'll sell you the 800HP BB Chevy in my garage.
But, no one has beaten me yet. Incuding a 488 in Fort Worth. I have gotten 3 warnings for racing and 6 speeding. White hair and 75 gets me out of tickets. Nice lady Highway patrol said the pass was for the dog riding shotgun.
The kids with loud pipes dont understand what just beat them. And try it the second time. I even had an idiot try it at 75 on interstate. I waited for him at 110mph till he caught up.

Reactions: Olds442
How much would I pay to speed up my LR RWD 3? Nothing. I wouldn't say it's fast enough now, but it is powerful enough to tear up a pair of rear tires in only 16,000 miles (no burnouts in that). And since I already had to pay an extra $14,000 just to get the car with options I didn't need, paying out more money ain't gonna happen.

Maybe I'd be generous and agree to $50 for the Tesla employee effort to type a few things in the computer and OTA update my car to shave off a full 0.5 second.

Yep cause I already did right? AWD + $$$ to get faster acceleration (no 20" rims etc on my car). Sounds way more crazy now then it did when I first did this...

When the first of the many refund-tweeted threads came out, my first thought was to trade 'my refund' for P3 extra crazy mood.. course no refund here yet .. ever?

Still depending on what and how much, junkies like to feed their habits..
Just got my $5K refund. Took only 2 weeks

Reactions: Msjulie