Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you "pay" for the HW4.0 suite?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So it looks like the HW4.0 suite may be "imminent" (at least on some models). That suite purportedly includes the new computer, new/additional cameras, and HD radar. I have a MYP on order AND it is at the 01/13/2023 price. Since that time, the price has gone up by $2K. Even with this reduced price, I am considering canceling my order and waiting for HW4.0. Yes, I know "Tesla is always changing" however, it is one thing to buy when you have no idea what is coming next vs. buying on the (potential) eve of a "known" material change. If it was JUST a faster computer, I don't think it would be compelling enough to consider waiting, but the additional cameras AND radar (especially in the face of the loss of the USS sensors on the latest cars...grrr) may be worth waiting for.

Waiting, at least for me, minimally costs me $2K (plus my $250 deposit so actually $2250). I feel like it may be worth $2250, and if I keep the car 6 years (as I did my Model S) it averages out to $375/year...not cheap, but MAYBE worth it. For the record I paid $2K to get the COLOR I wanted as I will appreciate it EVERY TIME I LOOK AT IT...not sure HW4.0 has the same impact...but maybe every time I park it!!

Of course, I also think Tesla will raise prices...perhaps significantly after Investor Day.

That brings up the question: "How much $$$ IS the new HW4.0 suite really worth?". $0? $500? $2000? $5000???

Thoughts?

(Note: I believe the IRS will rule the full $7500 rebate will remain in effect...minimally for some number of additional months. I also believe HW4 will have MINIMAL effect on resale as, while Tesla geeks are available about every single change, the average car buyer and dealer certainly isn't).

With the assumption that HW4 will:
  • Fix Phantom Braking via HD Radar
  • Have better parking distance detection than non-USS HW3 cars
I think its well worth it for $2000. And if the tax credit stays at $7500, I think MY will remain the best choice in its class even with a $4-5000 price bump.

I have a 2022 MYLR that I like. I don't love it in total, because it is missing a several things every other premium car has (surround view, rear cross traffic, HUD, blind spot that works, Sirius XM, etc.). If HW4 gets me surround view, rear cross traffic, blind spot that works, then I would probably sell my current car and upgrade for it. But if it only added surround view, I would probably pass. (I do not use EAP or FSD, so the potential radar distancing stuff is not a thing for me.)

The experience you get will be exactly the same as on a USS-less Tesla now. Most of the features disabled "temporarily" until they figure out the software for the new cameras/radar. They still don't have it for HW3 so pretty obvious they won't have it for HW4 at launch. And probably never will. With Tesla, it's silly to assume any of their promises will ever come true, therefore wait to see what is actually on offer and then decide if it's worth it. To answer your question, at launch its value will be zero.

Looks like Tesla started to build cars with it but does not deliver them yet, I imagine the plan is to announce on March 1st that all cars off the line are already having it.

it maybe available soon based on this statement. again we can't be sure but it does give hope that cars built after march 1st would include hw4. then again, the cost should also include losing the $3750 credit since everyone is expecting treasury to release the notice in march at which point it will trigger the applicability of those requirements.

at $2250 yeah it would probably worth it but at $6,000+ after possible price hikes, now its a different ball game. my edd is 3/3 - 3/31 so i'm gonna wait and see what happens.

Last edited:
I agree that you should wait if you can. Having the radar, along with more cameras, would be really nice. From what I’ve seen, you may not have to wait long.

I think Teslas gonna leave the poor “pure vision” suckers, like me, in the lurch. There won’t be radar, sensing, decent AP, etc. for the HW3 folks while they concentrate on improving the HW4 suite.

I bought in Dec and now regret not waiting.

Reactions: Nickos
I
So it looks like the HW4.0 suite may be "imminent" (at least on some models). That suite purportedly includes the new computer, new/additional cameras, and HD radar. I have a MYP on order AND it is at the 01/13/2023 price. Since that time, the price has gone up by $2K. Even with this reduced price, I am considering canceling my order and waiting for HW4.0. Yes, I know "Tesla is always changing" however, it is one thing to buy when you have no idea what is coming next vs. buying on the (potential) eve of a "known" material change. If it was JUST a faster computer, I don't think it would be compelling enough to consider waiting, but the additional cameras AND radar (especially in the face of the loss of the USS sensors on the latest cars...grrr) may be worth waiting for.

Waiting, at least for me, minimally costs me $2K (plus my $250 deposit so actually $2250). I feel like it may be worth $2250, and if I keep the car 6 years (as I did my Model S) it averages out to $375/year...not cheap, but MAYBE worth it. For the record I paid $2K to get the COLOR I wanted as I will appreciate it EVERY TIME I LOOK AT IT...not sure HW4.0 has the same impact...but maybe every time I park it!!

Of course, I also think Tesla will raise prices...perhaps significantly after Investor Day.

That brings up the question: "How much $$$ IS the new HW4.0 suite really worth?". $0? $500? $2000? $5000???

Thoughts?

(Note: I believe the IRS will rule the full $7500 rebate will remain in effect...minimally for some number of additional months. I also believe HW4 will have MINIMAL effect on resale as, while Tesla geeks are available about every single change, the average car buyer and dealer certainly isn't).
If I were in your shoes, I would absolutely cancel the order. The lack of parking sensors and no 360’ camera is pretty ridiculous by todays standards in this price range. Also missing rear cross traffic and pedestrian detection is mind blowing. I enjoyed my test drives but after serious thought, I would feel duped for not getting safety features found in so many cars today. I am waiting for March 1st to hear what Elon has to say before buying a Tesla.

Nothing.....there will be no upgrade. Wait until HW4 and all the other goodies are there. When I bought my 2019 3 SRP it had the old NVIDIA chip in it. Not 2 weeks later EM says all new model 3s will have Tesla chip. So I got the new chip about 5 months AFTER I paid 6K for FSD.
Personally there is not much AP pilot does do and for all the extra features 6K and 15K are not worth it. SOME EVs coming out will have all the goodies as part of the price. Like the poster earlier said: A premium car should have....surround view, rear cross traffic, HUD, blind spot that works

it maybe available soon based on this statement. again we can't be sure but it does give hope that cars built after march 1st would include hw4. then again, the cost should also include losing the $3750 credit since everyone is expecting treasury to release the notice in march at which point it will trigger the applicability of those requirements.

at $2250 yeah it would probably worth it but at $6,000+ after possible price hikes, now its a different ball game. my edd is 3/3 - 3/31 so i'm gonna wait and see what happens.

I’d wait to see if they release any info on March 1st. If it’s a new computer, HD radar, new higher resolution cameras and updated placement I would wait for it if it will come out in the coming months. I’d easily give up half the tax credit and the current price increases for that.

Reactions: GoVols!