Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats the one unexpected great thing about your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It used to ... long time back.

Ah ha. The new ones use cameras where the older ones had a dedicated sensor?

I love my S but the auto wipers aren't good enough. I haven't driven many recent cars but the auto wipers on my 2010 mondeo were really quite a lot better. It had a simple wheel to adjust sensitivity and I was totally happy with them except for a very occasional adjustment and an even less frequent "false positive" from the sun. On the S there are far too many occasions when the wipe just isn't frequent or quick enough and that could be genuinely dangerous. Even if they can't yet improve the accuracy of its response to conditions I'd like to see a slider in the settings for sensitivity where you can just opt for more response for any given rain reading. At least too much is unlikely to cause an accident.

Mine also have a little stickiness through the stroke, which can't be helping. I wonder whether either things will wear in a bit or I should treat the glass.

On the auto high beam I also feel its a long way off what it could be. It just waits too long to put them up, leaving you 2 seconds of dipped when they should be straight up, at exactly the moment your eyes are not yet accustomed. Equally it's too slow to dip for oncoming traffic. Not by such a time margin but this also needs to be right.ots of false positives for signs too, but if it had the timing quick enough I'd probably be OK with that.

Reactions: adsheff
Driving slowly.

I did a cross South Wales trip last week, with only 40% charge. I needed to top up at Tenby Services, which was literally the only CCS that I could see anywhere near my route (couple of 50Kw ChargePoints there).

Just to be safe I drove like a saint, and 60 on the dual carriageway.

The car is just incredibly smooth, and driving purposefully efficiently is a total pleasure.

First time I had + efficiency in TeslaFi :rolleyes:

One other thing I love - I use the Frunk all the time for shopping. It's great.

One final thing... Conversation starter. I have people come up to talk about the car all the time. Kids where I live I've never spoken to before, people who know a bit about EV's, people who ask "what badge is that?". It's pretty nice.

Driving slowly.

I did a cross South Wales trip last week, with only 40% charge. I needed to top up at Tenby Services, which was literally the only CCS that I could see anywhere near my route (couple of 50Kw ChargePoints there).

Just to be safe I drove like a saint, and 60 on the dual carriageway.

The car is just incredibly smooth, and driving purposefully efficiently is a total pleasure.

I completely agree that despite the available performance it is also a delightful car to drive slowly! Developing a super-smooth one pedal driving style and enjoying the peace and relaxation ... and then to be rewarded by efficiency figures that are even better than the "unrealistic" advertised range! We have some country roads around here that can either be driven at real pace or alternatively offer the opportunity for the ultimate in efficiency ... take your pick!

This is true of other EVs such as the eGolf. The smoothness and linear power delivery of these cars creates a state in which you can enjoy what I refer to as "precision driving" (as opposed to "ballistic driving" with ICEs...). The only point where I would say that the eGolf is superior to the Model 3 is in being able to know more precisely where the extremities of your car are...

On the auto high beam I also feel its a long way off what it could be.

I don't use them. Tech trying to be smarter than me actually needs to be ... or have a simple override for when I need something different.

I drove into a narrow road with high banks just after dusk and auto dip thought there was no need for beam, it was downright dangerous as I couldn't adequately see the road layout but, more importantly for me, I couldn't use Dip/beam stalk to select Beam, it was "auto or nothing". (That may have changed since AP1?)

Now ... if the car had Matrix LED Headlights that would be better. They are on full beam the whole time and just blot out / turn off individual elements to not shine on oncoming lights and the car in front.

Now ... if the car had Matrix LED Headlights that would be better. They are on full beam the whole time and just blot out / turn off individual elements to not shine on oncoming lights and the car in front.

Are these the kind of lights that excoriate your retinas when driving towards them? ("excoriate" my word of the day!) I don't know if it's just my eyes starting to age but I find it ever more difficult to cope with high performance car headlights coming towards me! I have occasionally even flashed another vehicle thinking that they have left their lights on full beam ... and then they demonstrate that their lights can go even brighter by lasering my eyeballs in return!

Are these the kind of lights that excoriate your retinas when driving towards them?

In theory there should be no bright light, from on-coming Matrix LED headlights, coming into your cabin. If the lights that are blinding you are blue-ish then likely they are Xenons

I have read that lorry drivers, on dual carriageway, with both high cabs and significant centre reservation divider (probably "bushes" would do it too) because lorry headlights are not seen by Matrix LEDs, so they don't dim that part of the matrix, or the Cab is above the part that is matched up with lorry's lights, and lorry driver get dazzled.

I find the same thing. And like you, I have paid the price for flashing the other car.

I do worry about the effect I am having on other on-coming drivers, because it does look like quite a powerful beam. I will no doubt have to demonstrate the full power of my lights to other drivers when they do start flashing me (with their lights, not showing me their kit)

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
I don't use them. Tech trying to be smarter than me actually needs to be ... or have a simple override for when I need something different.

I drove into a narrow road with high banks just after dusk and auto dip thought there was no need for beam, it was downright dangerous as I couldn't adequately see the road layout but, more importantly for me, I couldn't use Dip/beam stalk to select Beam, it was "auto or nothing". (That may have changed since AP1?)

Like the rain sensor - worked perfectly on my old AP1 car.

I am seriously considering finding a used AP1 car RWD MS for commuting. I miss the large frunk, the solid - if not sexy - TACC, the auto wipers, the auto high beam, the free supercharging - all the things that made it a great commuter.