Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ideally, twisted-pair would be used. But I'm pretty sure your basic 18 AWG thermostat wire will work, too. I tend to carry a box of CAT5E around with me, so that's what I'd use.
Cool, just making sure I read into that correctly. My brothers/dad use CAT5e for most of their low voltage needs, and I've gone through probably a box myself retrofitting something like 24 network jacks in to my current house. Yeah... Overkill. But I'm a tech guy at heart (thus the Tesla!), and CAT5 is so cheap if you're not paying someone else for the labor - why use wireless when you can have stuff wired for a few bucks!

FPE panels are a disaster waiting to happen. My home in California nearly burned because of an FPE breaker that failed to trip. There are plenty of resources online that talk about these panels -- frankly, I wouldn't charge a Tesla from one of them without another form of inline overcurrent protection (e.g., another breaker used as a disconnect).

Is My Electrical Panel Safe? - Important Information About Federal Pacific Electric, Zinsco and Outdated Electric Panel Boxes
That's exactly why I was concerned...figured now is a good time to replace the panel--and that requires a permit from the city, which will require a service upgrade with new weather mast, disconnect box, etc. No getting around it--will give us peace of mind that the car won't burn our house down!

We will be getting up to $1,500 rebate from the city for modifications to our home to support Level 2 EV charging, so thought it would be good time try to max that out!!

So is it really okay to use the mobile connector on a daily basis? I had the impression that it was supposed to stay in the car....sounds like it could just stay plugged into the wall...and your assumptions are correct :)
Of course. Mobile means you can take it with you, not that you have to. There is no reason to unplug it and take it with you unless you're going out of town-- and even then you're only likely to use it if you plug in somewhere overnight. It's not used for charging at J1772 public charging stations or at superchargers.

That's exactly why I was concerned...figured now is a good time to replace the panel--and that requires a permit from the city, which will require a service upgrade with new weather mast, disconnect box, etc. No getting around it--will give us peace of mind that the car won't burn our house down!

We will be getting up to $1,500 rebate from the city for modifications to our home to support Level 2 EV charging, so thought it would be good time try to max that out!!
Adding that 50a circuit requires a permit, too, so you don't save anything on that score. Might as well be safe.

Adding that 50a circuit requires a permit, too, so you don't save anything on that score. Might as well be safe.
Pulling a permit for a 50A circuit they should require you to bring everything you touch up to current code anyway. Which, depending on your AHJ, may include replacing the Federal Pacific panel. Anyhow, at that point the marginal cost of redoing your complete service with the same level, verse larger, probably means it's worth it to go larger.

This is what I settled on for my installation. I have 1/0 for 30 feet from my main panel with a 125 amp breaker to a sub panel. On the subpanel I have a 100 amp breaker on #2 copper to the WC set to 80 amps. I also have a 50 amp breaker on standby mode using #6 copper for a NEMA 14-50. I am using on of those Gecko hose holders to keep the bottom cables in place. Normally I don't even secure the last two loops but just drape them over the charger so it's easier to deploy and store.

20160613_140515.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP and ssq
This is what I settled on for my installation. I have 1/0 for 30 feet from my main panel with a 125 amp breaker to a sub panel. On the subpanel I have a 100 amp breaker on #2 copper to the WC set to 80 amps. I also have a 50 amp breaker on standby mode using #6 copper for a NEMA 14-50. I am using on of those Gecko hose holders to keep the bottom cables in place. Normally I don't even secure the last two loops but just drape them over the charger so it's easier to deploy and store.

View attachment 180667

Did you install the garage openers their? Interesting location for them

Just finished with the install of our HPWC, and put some frosted window film on the windows. The only thing missing is the Batmobile, 2 more agonizing days. DS moved us to Wednesday, from our original delivery of Friday. Woo hoo! I Charged my buddies S to make sure that everything is working properly.

Attachments

• 20160613_161547.jpg
    20160613_161547.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: ssq and xkwizit
View attachment 180667

Looks like an accident waiting to happen ...

Pulling a permit for a 50A circuit they should require you to bring everything you touch up to current code anyway. Which, depending on your AHJ, may include replacing the Federal Pacific panel. Anyhow, at that point the marginal cost of redoing your complete service with the same level, verse larger, probably means it's worth it to go larger.
The price difference between NEMA 14-50 outlet and the WC will be around $620. I will request the Square D QO panel, and the NEMA outlet for now Thanks for everyone's input!

Duplex, if you install a new HPWC you might qualify for up to a $1,000 federal rax CREDIT. This might cover the cost difference and you would have the upgrade too. I think the IRS form is 8911 for more detsils to see if you would qualify. The credit is good for this calendar year so you have until December to install it.

Duplex, if you install a new HPWC you might qualify for up to a $1,000 federal rax CREDIT. This might cover the cost difference and you would have the upgrade too. I think the IRS form is 8911 for more detsils to see if you would qualify. The credit is good for this calendar year so you have until December to install it.
Up to $1000?! I got my HPWC for $550 and parts and labor to install a supporting subpanel plus another NEMA 14-50 for backup and charging another EV totaled $1700. Permit would cost me another $300. Should I expect to file a 30% federal tax credit on $2550?