Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After putting my 1/0 in for the EV sub panel, and the three other sub panels I have I am lucky to get the cables in the box let alone find a place I can route a bunch of conductors through a single CT. :)

Bottom line is that I am reluctant to spend $500 at this point for a whole system monitor that breaks down the larger circuits. And my house sub still has another sub attached to it too for the Hot Tub and Heat Pumps so there is a limit on how far I can see. At this point it would be nice to have the net shown and the total consumption for the house. After the inspector leaves I think I will remeasure my bus bar and see if TED's pro has some larger CT's. Then I could monitor the house, the EV charging and the Solar production and I would probably be happy along with what is coming in from the secondaries (the net).

And then so what? Even if I can see everything it's probably only just going to make me nervous. Now I am struggling to add more solar but as soon as I do the Calif IOUs will play a game with the rates negating the payback you think you will get. It's like a giant cat and mouse game.:eek:

View attachment 177195
Happy to report that the larger water hose clips worked well, it is the right size for the diameter of the HPWC cable.

Amazon.com : Gecko's Toes Water Hose Rack : Air Tool Hose Reels : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Another successful install thanks to @systemcrashed!

Also thanks to @FlasherZ for the solid info on installation options and clarifying the confusing Wall Connector installation manual. I ended up installing a new sub-panel which contains a breaker for my Wall Connector and my J1772 EVSE for our LEAF. When we get Model 3 I'll sell the J1772, get a second Wall Connector and make it a slave to this one.

IMG_9781.JPG
IMG_9782.JPG

Another successful install thanks to @systemcrashed!

Also thanks to @FlasherZ for the solid info on installation options and clarifying the confusing Wall Connector installation manual. I ended up installing a new sub-panel which contains a breaker for my Wall Connector and my J1772 EVSE for our LEAF. When we get Model 3 I'll sell the J1772, get a second Wall Connector and make it a slave to this one.

View attachment 179967 View attachment 179968
Awesome!

image.jpeg

Thanks to @systemcrashed ... I think it becomes a standard setup for Wall Connector between garage doors. Maybe tesla should have made those brackets come with the Wall Connector ...

By the way, in case someone ask, I don't know why I'm getting 4 brackets instead of 2, I don't know why I'm getting a 24 ft cable instead of 8 ft, I don't know why I am getting the wall connector instead of using the 14-50 outlet which actually works pretty good while I was waiting for the wall connector to be installed .... In fact, I sometimes don't even know why I'm spending $130k on a SUV .... But, why not ... 'Just do it!' :D

Last edited:
View attachment 179970

Thanks to @systemcrashed ... I think it becomes a standard setup for Wall Connector between garage doors. Maybe tesla should have made those brackets come with the Wall Connector ...

By the way, in case someone ask, I don't know why I'm getting 4 brackets instead of 2, I don't know why I'm getting a 24 ft cable instead of 8 ft, I don't know why I am getting the wall connector instead of using the 14-50 outlet which actually works pretty good while I was waiting for the wall connector to be installed .... In fact, I sometimes don't even know why I'm spending $130k on a SUV .... But, why not ... 'Just do it!' :D

Haha yea four brackets is a little excessive. You can move two to your second Wall Connector when you get another Tesla. But the 24 ft cable provides flexibility in case you need to park on the other side of your garage or in your driveway. Or when your friend with a Tesla comes over and needs to charge. And I think the Wall Connector will have a higher reliability than the Mobile Connector on a 14-50 outlet, plus you can keep your Mobile Connector in your car always.

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit and pchan
But the 24 ft cable provides flexibility in case you need to park on the other side of your garage or in your driveway. Or when your friend with a Tesla comes over and needs to charge.
I agree with almost all you said, but went with two 8.5' WC to put in the same config between my 3 bays. I figure I can always just move a car or even both if needed for charging a 3rd car. If it's good enough for Tesla Super Chargers, then it'll be good enough for my garage chargers. I see moving the cars around to be of about the same nuisance factor as uncoiling/recoiling the 24' cable and having to avoid it while charging at distance. I will post pics once installed in a couple weeks.

I agree with almost all you said, but went with two 8.5' WC to put in the same config between my 3 bays. I figure I can always just move a car or even both if needed for charging a 3rd car. If it's good enough for Tesla Super Chargers, then it'll be good enough for my garage chargers. I see moving the cars around to be of about the same nuisance factor as uncoiling/recoiling the 24' cable and having to avoid it while charging at distance. I will post pics once installed in a couple weeks.

I've had several instances in the last 3 years where I needed to charge our LEAF out in the driveway (or a friend's LEAF). To me that was worth the $50 extra (given then awesome cord management brackets posted above). But a second Wall Connector will definitely be the 8' because it's very unlikely we'd need to charge two cars outside at the same time. It's all about everyone's personal charging and parking needs.

Let me clarify: I can put loop inductors (CT) on the cables but not the bus. So I cannot see the total load on the panel (unless I clip onto the secondaries coming into the panel). It's a crazy Square D panel with really wide blades that are too wide for the CT's.

I had the same problem utilizing CT's due to the very wide bus bars. I had two CT's custom-made three years ago for around $100 if I remember correctly. Now I am able to see the whole system gross and net in real time.

Agree ... I would go with 8 ft cable if I have to do it again. In fact, I have zip tied the remaining cable loop. I don't think I will ever need that. For $50 extra, I just bought the 24 ft cable in case the electrician could not install it between the garage doors and have to hook it up to my 2nd floor bedroom or neighbor's garage.

Ordered my HPWC from TM yesterday and it seems they are taking three weeks to ship due to high demand. Has anyone ordered recently and did you get it earlier?

I ordered online because my service center didn't have it in stock. About 8 days later online said it was backordered but luckily my service center had just received some and had one left. I went by and picked it up that afternoon and cancelled my online order. You might call around to service centers near you to see if any have one in stock. It saved me about $30 shipping to pick it up locally.

I ordered online because my service center didn't have it in stock. About 8 days later online said it was backordered but luckily my service center had just received some and had one left. I went by and picked it up that afternoon and cancelled my online order. You might call around to service centers near you to see if any have one in stock. It saved me about $30 shipping to pick it up locally.
@CmdrThor - thanks for the great tip. I didn't even think about checking with my local SC for some reason. And I just called them and they do have in stock so I will be going there and picking it up today. Appreciate the tip. :)

Reactions: CmdrThor
I was also able to pick up the new HPWC at the local service center. Centinela and Burbank(in California) had a few in stock. I couldn't wait 3+ weeks for delivery since my electrician was scheduled to come out next week. Cancellation online was a breeze, my refund was processed the same day.

Got my two 8.5' chargers from local SC, Tysons, VA, 2 weeks ago as they had just gotten them in stock by chance the same day my DS reached out to me with an update call. Of note, local pickup includes the same sales tax, but no shipping charge which is not nothing on these surprisingly large and heavy items.

Has anyone tried to return an open box (uninstalled) unit? I got the 8' before building my garage, and without going into the tedious details, I need the longer cable. I opened it up to see if it could reach the charger if I installed it on place I have to put it (it doesn't.)

Or maybe someone in the Phoenix area wants to buy my charger?