Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty darn good. What is your mileage?
36,000 miles (or 58,000 kilometers). It does help to have a short commute, but it's really down to having far fewer charging cycles on the battery. I plug in once, maybe twice, per week. Also, I try hard to avoid either end of the battery range. Usually I'll charge up to 90% and then drive it down to 40% or so before charging again. Others on the forum have advocated for shorter, more frequent charges... but a habit of slightly longer, more infrequent charges has worked well for me.

We plug in daily with 90% charge limit, 6.5 years and counting, less than 3% degradation on a 2013 S85 with 140000km.
I don't think it matters how many times you plug in per week. Two different ways to charge, same result, low deg.

I leave my car plugged in all the time when I'm home and I've had less than 1% degradation (90% was 268-269 new and it's 267-268 now) in over 3 years. There are definitely things people can do to damage the battery, but on the other end of the spectrum I think there is a measure of luck. I think it's probable that 99% of the cells degrade slowly, but 1% degrade faster than the norm. A pack with all slow degrading cells will have overall slow degradation, but a few fast degrading cells can drag down the entire pack.

We plug in daily with 90% charge limit, 6.5 years and counting, less than 3% degradation on a 2013 S85 with 140000km.
I don't think it matters how many times you plug in per week. Two different ways to charge, same result, low deg.
Ummm....you realize a cycle 0-100% and back (or the equivalent)? Charging from 40-60 five times is one cycle. So charging every day vs once a week doesn’t give you fewer cycles. And charging every day keeps you further from the extremes (<10%, >90%) so it is better on your battery.

Follow Tesla’s advice....a plugged in car is a happy car. Please don’t spread bad information.

117000 km
B627B802-E527-4CBB-90A6-B55E53608684.jpeg

I leave my car plugged in all the time when I'm home and I've had less than 1% degradation (90% was 268-269 new and it's 267-268 now) in over 3 years. There are definitely things people can do to damage the battery, but on the other end of the spectrum I think there is a measure of luck. I think it's probable that 99% of the cells degrade slowly, but 1% degrade faster than the norm. A pack with all slow degrading cells will have overall slow degradation, but a few fast degrading cells can drag down the entire pack.

I've written this before but the only benefit from plugging a Tesla in is that a) it does not use the battery for HVACing b) It has surplus energy the internal charger can use for battery balancing (You probably need be charged above 90% for this to work) and c) it shallowcycles the battery rather than deep cycles the battery.

a) and b) have hardly and relevancy. c) is kinda important depending on how far/much you drive. If you drive the car every day 10% and then charge when its almost empty you are deep cycling the battery. If you drive 10% until 50% and then charge up again to 90% it probably doesnt have that much effect on degradation - but nothing would just beat a 10% cycle with immediate charging...

Imho there is no benefit from storing a Model 3 plugged in - the vampire drain has become so low that it just does not matter. You lose like 1-2.5km/day which is hardly relevant and the only reason for that is that unfortunately the car cant run the HVDC to DC converter while asleep. So by putting in a bigger 12V battery that would probably reduce further.

my 2015 70D is now 4yrs(+2mo) old, ~37600km.
home charge on a 120V/15A circuit, usually to ~65%. Plugged in nightly, but some days don't drive / don't charge.

now: 90% is 343km (~214mi) rated range
new: 90% was 346km (~216mi)

so just under 1% decrease in 4 years - nothing to complain about there
Same, except single motor, not D: 216 at 90%. That's even after this summer's update to V10.

Reactions: Greenms60
home charge on a 120V/15A circuit, usually to ~65%. Plugged in nightly, but some days don't drive / don't charge.

That's really impressive. My 70D has lost about 10% over almost five years. Of course I have 160,000 miles on it.

Again, without BMS readings at the beginning and then now, 90% rate is dubious at best for measuring degredation. But I also understand that's all some of us have.

I got to ask if shallow charging better than deep charging?

I ask because I normally charge to 80%. My daily commute normally uses up about 23% of the battery a day, and I charge every other day - so normally at about 30% - 35%.

Am I reading it is better to plug in every night instead of every other night?

Also - my car's charge has been somewhat steady since I got it in July - but it has been going down each time I charge it the last 6 charges. According to Teslafi, I've lost 2.5 miles of range in the last month alone and the graph is doing a definite drop compared to where it was before:
FusionCharts.jpg

Granted - it's not crippling bad at this moment.

It's more convenient, and better for many reasons, but trying to link your charging behavior to the capacity retention or other elements of battery longevity is an imperfect science. So yes, plug in, set charge percent to 80 or 90%, stop worrying.

I got to ask if shallow charging better than deep charging?

I ask because I normally charge to 80%. My daily commute normally uses up about 23% of the battery a day, and I charge every other day - so normally at about 30% - 35%.

Also - my car's charge has been somewhat steady since I got it in July - but it has been going down each time I charge it the last 6 charges. According to Teslafi, I've lost 2.5 miles of range in the last month alone and the graph is doing a definite drop compared to where it was before:
View attachment 507487

Granted - it's not crippling bad at this moment.

Shallow charging (within reason, anything below 50% shallow chargeing probably doesnt make much difference) is much better than deep cycling (everything above 80% cycling really).

Shallow charging does lead to more degradation in the short term if done in the middle of the battery (30-70%) due to the battery management system getting slightly confused but you can restore that either by doing a few deep cycles or by giving Tesla a call to reset the battery management system. This is due to lithium ion batteries not losing much voltage in that area.

9Pgp3.jpg

So the BMS cannot really tell what the batteries are up to due to this sigmoid shape.

I would just continue your practice to charge to 80% but plug it in every day to make your charge cycles shallower.