Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 90% on 2015 70D with 151,000 miles is now 197. Had been around 202-203 for a long time. This drop off was recent but sudden. Hasn’t dropped off much since. Hopefully stops which would suggest it was related to a software update.
ouch!! I have a 2015 RWD 70... my 90% yesterday was 212... that puts me around 236 @ %100...
(but you have almost 5x the miles, I'm only at 37,000)

P90DL December 2015, 30k miles,

Today: 90% - 216
Better than mine:-
March (? we don't have a date stamp label in UK for some reason) 2016, AP1, P90DL, 35k miles.
90 % is now 214 miles. Was 221 when bought from Tesla in April 2019.

Battery is the useless V1 and is 10% down on new. Useable full pack is 73 kWh. Hoping it gives up at some point but not sure how to help it to its final destination.

Better than mine:-
March (? we don't have a date stamp label in UK for some reason) 2016, AP1, P90DL, 35k miles.
90 % is now 214 miles. Was 221 when bought from Tesla in April 2019.

Battery is the useless V1 and is 10% down on new. Useable full pack is 73 kWh. Hoping it gives up at some point but not sure how to help it to its final destination.

Couldn't you just charge to 100% all the time?

I think I've been quite lucky with my V1 90D -- I've had a really really consistent 250 or 251 miles 90% (45k miles on the car; had it for maybe 2000 miles) and on highway driving it easily does (a little) better than the "rated" range

Couldn't you just charge to 100% all the time?..

Good point - as long as Tesla don't then range reduce (voltage cap from 4.2 to 4.1) my 90. 100% on the 90 pack is probably not an issue otherwise it would have been firmware updated to be impossible already. I read (on this foum) that heat cycling can crack the anodes - so presumably binary throttle will exacerbate the flaw in the system.

Sadly that’s what I get. I bought the car second hand at a prestige car auction three months ago, so don’t know much about its history and nothing about the charging habits of the previous owner. After picking up the car post auction at the end of May, I 100% charged to 203 miles and was flabbergasted, had expected at least 20 miles more based on the average degradation that had been published. Then came the update and I thought my battery was dying. The SC did a remote assessment of my battery and, you guessed it, it’s within normal operating parameters. Yay! My Chevrolet Volt was a bit more predictable...

Still, the car can do everything I need it for, I have a 100 mile commute and charge daily at work. If the new software protects the battery from further meaningful degradation I guess I can live with the slower supercharging speeds and just have to be patient on the long trips...

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
If I'm carrying something to go in the car like phone and/or sun glasses, I will often open the door, put the items on the dash or the seat, then unplug the car. Oddly when I glance at the displays while putting items in the car it will often say 268 miles (at 90%), but after unplugging the car it will drop to 267. The other day I was exited when I saw 269 when I opened the door, it's been a couple of years since I've seen 269 range at 90%, but when I got in the car it was 267.

I had some trouble with the car shutting off for a month or so. I wrote a detailed description to the local service center with my speculation based on experience troubleshooting. The next day the car started shutting down properly, but I never found out if Tesla did anything, even when I wrote again and asked. The vampire drain has dropped since the car has been shutting down properly. Sometimes 0 miles overnight. It used to be at least 1.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Mine is 300 at 90% used to be 297...not sure why it went up a bit.

2017 100D

just checked as it is sitting in garage plugged in ....292 and is done charging...I wonder what percent of drop has to happen before it "tops" it off again.

When brand new, my P85 charged to 240 miles at 90% and 265 miles at 100%.

5 years later, my 90% is consistently 237, and 100% is 261. The estimation seems accurate; on a trip last weekend, I charged to 100% and drove over 210 actual miles before charging again, with the car reporting about 45 miles remaining; the missing 5 miles were accounted for by hills and occasional bursts of speed. ;)

Full261.jpg

When brand new, my P85 charged to 240 miles at 90% and 265 miles at 100%.

5 years later, my 90% is consistently 237, and 100% is 261. The estimation seems accurate; on a trip last weekend, I charged to 100% and drove over 210 actual miles before charging again, with the car reporting about 45 miles remaining; the missing 5 miles were accounted for by hills and occasional bursts of speed. ;)

View attachment 457553

Pretty darn good. What is your mileage?