Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not good news if you have a Model S 85... Tesla owners see battery range drop after software update to 'improve longevity' - Electrek

Tesla owner David Rasmussen got one of the most severe drops we have seen so far. He told Electrek: “My 2014 Model S 85 was getting Rated Range of 247 miles until May 13. Now after the next update, it continued to drop to now 217 miles. This is an 11% drop in 5 weeks.” Rasmussen has been plotting the battery capacity degradation of his Model S over the last 100,000 miles or so and the recent drop is quite obvious:

Tesla-Range-Drop.jpg

He went to his local Tesla service center with the issue and like most other owners reporting the same issue, he was told that is “normal degradation” of the battery pack. That’s surprising because previous data showed that Tesla’s battery degradation is limited to less than 10% after over 160,000 miles. We contacted Tesla about the issue and the company confirmed to Electrek that the range reduction is due to the software update. Tesla told us that the goal of the update is to “protect the battery and improve battery longevity” and it resulted in a range loss for only “a small percentage of owners.”

Reactions: sorka
I had no range loss with the update.

This test was due to the fire in Hong Kong and I suspect there is some failure mode of the cell that caused it and they are screening the fleet for cells with that problem. If you are unlucky enough that bad cells were found, they were disabled to prevent damage and that would drop the range. Ultimately it's trading some range to prevent a catastrophic failure.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr

This test was due to the fire in Hong Kong and I suspect there is some failure mode of the cell that caused it and they are screening the fleet for cells with that problem. If you are unlucky enough that bad cells were found, they were disabled to prevent damage and that would drop the range. Ultimately it's trading some range to prevent a catastrophic failure.

Problem is they're:

1) Telling customers that it's normal degradation(yea, just look at that chart :rolleyes:)
2) They're lying about the SOC by displaying 100% charged even though the voltage is less than 4.2 volts...sometimes much less.

That is a good theory; makes sense to me. However I think this discussion should be in the other thread : Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Does @bmah agree?

Recently had a bout of range anxiety When I got home with 2% batter left. Now my 2016 90D with 55k seems to only charge to 219 miles project ideal range! Just drove 84 miles and have 120 miles left, should that be normal?

Attachments

• 4ACBA3AA-520C-46D2-AD5A-3BBCDFC6B952.jpeg
    4ACBA3AA-520C-46D2-AD5A-3BBCDFC6B952.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 76
  • C33AF53B-39D6-4F65-B3ED-A0D4C70D88F0.jpeg
    C33AF53B-39D6-4F65-B3ED-A0D4C70D88F0.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 50
Interestingly, when I posted this last week, it was based on my list 90% charge, which was a week or 2 before that. What's more, I typo'd that post, and it should have been ~227 rated miles

What's more interesting, is that I did a couple of 90% charges this last weekend, and I'm suddenly at about 221-222 miles.

I've had a sudden 5 mile drop in the space of a couple of weeks. I haven't seen anything like that since I first got the vehicle.

The SOC sits between 30-75% on weekdays. I charge to 90% on the weekends. I rarely charge to 100%, and supercharge (also typically only to 80-90%) once every few months. I rarely drive below 50 miles range left.

So at this point I'm wondering if I have a real capacity drop, or if the system is out of calibration for estimating range due to not seeing the extremes of my SOC range in a long while. I've had times where it seems calibration hs been off by a a couple of miles, but not by this much, or seemingly this sudden.

I charged to 93% Sunday morning to try and kick off a balance cycle. I may also aim for a 100% SOC next time I'm heading on a trip just to see what the computer does.

Interesting...

Well... here we go again. Lost ~6 miles of range all of the sudden sometime in the last week or so.

The last time this happened a little over 2 years ago in this thread, I ended up with pack failure and a replacement refurb D-pack. Let's see what happens.

Anybody else have any issues with a second replacement inside the 8-yr unlimited mileage pack warranty?

2016 Model X P90DL, 46K miles, just purchased from Tesla CPO/used. 90% at 211 miles range. Is this normal?
Possibly. What is the build date of the car and the part number and date of the battery? You can probably find the build date on the sticker when you open the driver's door. The battery part number and date should be visible when looking at the battery behind the front wheel on the passenger side.

Sorry, I just realized I was in the Model S section of the forum!

There are some interesting threads on the S forum that don't have equivalents on the other forums, or if they do they aren't very popular for some reason. For example there is a Tesla's in TV and Movies thread on the Model S forum and someone started a Model X equivalent, but Model Xs get mentioned in the Model S forum thread a fair bit. Both threads have been quiet for about a month or more though.

The max range of a Model X P90D was 250 miles and the 90% was 225 miles. You're down about 6% which is within normal degradation range.