Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your top feature request that could be accomplished via software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been driving the model 3 for a few weeks and overall loving it so far. What are your top feature requests that you would like to see in your model 3 that could be accomplished via software update?

Here are my ideas that I would love to see in order of preference:
- Automatic audio volume adjustment based on vehicle speed
- Easier access to changing audio source (even with the update, have to reach all the way to the right of the screen)
- Blindspot detection & alerts similar to other cars
- Be able to lock the car door when I'm inside it (I grew up in a city and a time where car jacking was a thing).
- Be able to use onboard cameras as a dashcam through the mobile app or vehicle app
- Be able to turn off annoying backseat seat belt warnings (I have kids and sometimes they use the middle seat buckle when sitting on the right side).

Curious to hear what others would like.
I agree and my biggest gripe is fair to poor blind spot detection. At a minimum let us change the light grey warning to a bold red. That should be a easy software fix.

Nope, I tried this morning. My Model 3 (running 2018.18.3) was plugged into the wall connector in my garage. Tried removing it by pressing the button on the handle while the car was still locked, did absolutely nothing. I ended up opening the trunk with the button on the back to unlock the car and then removed the cable.

FYI, you can press and hold the trunk button on the fob and it will unlock the charging cable without opening the trunk.

- mirrors that return to the correct settting from auto fold on R.
- larger fonts for us visually impaired. (For me, the clock is hard to read with a quick glance. Would love for it to be shifted to the left on the screen, or at least the ability to increase the font size for readability. I really don't need a map that large every day since I know where work/home is.)

I would like it if it would download 1-2 podcasts and ~30 minutes of music on the current station, so that when I am in the mountains I could still listen to music.

The podcast thing is really annoying, because if you go out of reception, it goes to the next episode and doesn't keep your place. Rural problems, I guess.

Adding phone mirroring with stitcher would be another fix.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It would be great to collate the top 10 software requests that we know aren't in the pipeline and start a poll so that Tesla can get some additional feedback.

For me personally the #1 thing I'm going to miss from my current ride is the surround view cameras. It makes perfect parallel parking effortless, or even tail in parking perfect. It is going to be a real sore spot for me losing that feature.

It would be great to collate the top 10 software requests that we know aren't in the pipeline and start a poll so that Tesla can get some additional feedback.

For me personally the #1 thing I'm going to miss from my current ride is the surround view cameras. It makes perfect parallel parking effortless, or even tail in parking perfect. It is going to be a real sore spot for me losing that feature.
Need a method to vote the suggestions up or down

Feature requests?!?!?!

How about fixing the endless list of bugs in the current software?
  • Charge port door will not open in response to a button press on the charge handle unless the car is unlocked.
  • Charge handle will not unlock with a charge handle button press when plugged in while near the car with the phone key.
  • No way to set TACC to current speed if your current speed is below the speed limit + offset.
  • TACC does not remember previous set speed, therefore there is no "resume" function.
  • When navigation is finished, map reverts to North-up view, regardless if you had it set to heading-up view before or during navigation.
  • Backup camera frequently shows black for several seconds when shifting into reverse.
  • Auto-tilt mirrors for reverse do not work at all -- mirrors will not store the reverse positions properly (will move the mirrors along one axis when shifting into reverse, but not the other), and will not restore the mirrors to the correct setting after shifting into drive (stops midway between stored reverse and drive positions).
  • Progress indicator for music playback sometimes shows no progress when song is playing.
  • No way to turn cabin overheat protection off.
  • Charge port unlock button in top right of charging screen doesn't work when plugged in.

I've been complaining about these since I got the car, and exactly zero of them have been addressed.

Feature requests?!?!?! Feature requests?!?!?!

Software option to leave 12V and USB powered when car shuts down.
Ideally two options - "One Time" or "Every Time".
I could see a One Time use case when the cell phone is dead and you want to leave it charging in the car.
The Every Time would be GREAT for those with dash cams to keep them powered.

Best case, there would also be a "Shut down when battery reaches xx%" option so that the user could specify to keep it going (recharging the 12V as needed) until the main battery reaches xx%.

Wow sdkoala said it worked and I tried again an hour ago. Just frustrating.

Yep, still doesn't work. I bet what happened was actually another bug where walk away lock never locked the car. It was probably unlocked the entire night in my garage and when I went to remove the wall connector, it seemed like it responded to being connected to the phone.

So adding a surround aerial view for parking using the existing AP camera array. I've seen and used surround parking on a bunch of cars (some much cheaper) and it works well. Help me save my rims when auto park is not available.

I don't believe that's possible as AP cameras have quite different aim and angle of view requirement vs surround camera. For example, side surround cameras must cover the ground, something that the AP camera do not need to. So I don't think it is a software "activatable" feature. Surround view would need its own set of cameras.

Reactions: MP3Mike
On the app:
- add an option to set the time when charging begins.
- have the ability to lower/raise the windows.

In general:
- Better blind spot detection ++++ had to buy one of them bubble mirrors for this car.
- fix the bug where if you exit the car with your foot on the brakes, and you close the door, the system doesn’t turn off.
- fix the bug where you have the car in park and your foot on the brakes, the charge port will not open unless you release the brakes.

Reactions: RBowen and dhrivnak