Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are auto extending door handles coming (or not)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Omission of auto-extending handles is a dealbreaker as far as my wife and I are concerned. Our Prius, two Lexus and an infinity have keyless entry where the car detects the presence of the keyfob in you pocket and unlocks the car, so you only have to pull the handle to open the car. My wife said there is absolutely no way she would take a step backwards (i.e., press door handle, wait for it to extend, and then pull to open the door), and I have to agree with her. Once you become used to the convenience of the keyless system available on the Prius, Lexus, Infinity and other cars, there is no going back. I hope they implement the feature by the time my initial deferal runs up in March. I really would like to buy the model S if they address the omissions.

I am also not able to say where ones limits are when it comes to what makes or beaks the car for any one person. I'll tell you that after drivin our Model S for a few months I wouldn't care if it made me dance before the handle opened or if I had to unlock a vault door in order to get in to drive the car... I would do it gladly every single day. Remember that there was a time without keyless entry or keyless go and we all lived through those dark times. :)

Omission of auto-extending handles is a dealbreaker as far as my wife and I are concerned. Our Prius, two Lexus and an infinity have keyless entry where the car detects the presence of the keyfob in you pocket and unlocks the car, so you only have to pull the handle to open the car. My wife said there is absolutely no way she would take a step backwards (i.e., press door handle, wait for it to extend, and then pull to open the door), and I have to agree with her. Once you become used to the convenience of the keyless system available on the Prius, Lexus, Infinity and other cars, there is no going back. I hope they implement the feature by the time my initial deferal runs up in March. I really would like to buy the model S if they address the omissions.

Everyone has the right to cancel or determine what is a deal breaker using their own criteria of course but I have to say that after driving the Model S for 1,000 miles, I would find canceling over the possibility of never getting auto-extending handles unimaginable to me. The handle is fairly quick to extend and for the extra 6 seconds it holds me up a day, I get the joy of instant torque. Sure I'll be slightly disappointed if that feature doesn't come out but I've found that the shape of the keyfob is so unique that I'm able to feel it in my pants pocket and double-click the top without taking it out causing the car to unlock and door handles extend. Not a perfect replacement but accomplishes the same thing and I didn't have to take the key out. While it may require an extra step at this point over the Prius, doesn't the Prius require one extra step of pushing the start button? That evens out the seconds and steps.

I am also not able to say where ones limits are when it comes to what makes or beaks the car for any one person. I'll tell you that after drivin our Model S for a few months I wouldn't care if it made me dance before the handle opened or if I had to unlock a vault door in order to get in to drive the car... I would do it gladly every single day. Remember that there was a time without keyless entry or keyless go and we all lived through those dark times. :)

I agree. Even if Tesla doesn't update to activate this (they still may), I'm ok with it at this point. I'm usually dancing with joy after a drive but everyone is different:smile:

They seem to stay extended for about 60 seconds. For example, if you don't have your key nearby but the car is unlocked, pressing a retracted handle extends all four and they stay out for one minute (whether you use them or not) then retract. Very slick!

Ben, do they stay extended long enough to disconnect the charge cable and move it before entering?

Yes. Haven't had any issues with that. Though you have to approach the car from the front for it to be perfect. If you approach from the rear, you have to walk up to about halfway to the rear driver's side door for it to active and then walk back to the charge port. At least with my car/fob/whatever. I'll be making a suggestion to increase the range enough to reach the charge port door to ownership.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there an option in the new software to only extend the driver's handle on unlock? I'm thinking for security reasons...

I don't recall a setting for that but I'll check. You'll also see all the new settings once I get my 1.17.50 (V4) video up. I'm sure it's on their todo list if not.

Auto presenting door handles work perfect. LOVE THEM

I was standing a couple feet away from the nose of the car, and one of my hockey teammates goes up the the passenger door and tries to open it. He like brushes the door handle a couple times, looks really confused and then pushes it. Nothing happens. He even tried swiping like an iphone lock screen! I was like, hey check this out, I take 2 steps forward, all the handles extend together and he pulls it open. The wow factor was there!