Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When can we expect to see a CCS Adapter for the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a quote for the Model S for 500 EUR, which I accepted.
Here's the copy, seems like some work needs to be done.
2020-01-16_14h56_24.png

Any technical reason they can't develop a CCS adapter?

Is this something a third party can develop?

There were a bunch of technical challenges, including both standards using the same starting point and not having hardware that can hear the CCS communication to begin with.

Tesla solved them all and delivered a “dumb adapter” solution for the EU that requires a new version of the chargeport hardware.

There shouldn’t be any remaining difficulties in making a matching version for the US; we don’t know if Ravens have the updated chargeport or if all US cars would need a retrofit (EU chargeports changed at the same time as the Raven update.)

Could they maybe implement a CSS to J1772 Adapter if CSS is to "difficult?"

A J1772 Adapter at 80 amps could still provide a pretty reasonable charge, with at least enough range to get to a Supercharger or Destination Charger.

No. You’d need to communicate in CCS to get the station to turn on at all, and then the CCS station is feeding high voltage DC to the car, not the 240V AC that J1772 feeds to the charger.

No current Tesla can charge at more than 48 amps.

Those of us with dual chargers can charge at up to 60 Amps (or is that 72?) unless I'm mistaken.

Still even 48 amps would be quite useful if you are in a bind... This is the reason people used to buy CHADEMO adapters but CSS will be a lot more useful and available going forward.

Last edited:
Wow so 50+ miles per hour would be a great compromise with a J1772 CCS Adapter.

Is this more "easily" doable than a CCS to Tesla charger adapter?

I really hope before too long we have some type of CCS adapter with all the CCS charging stations popping up all over the place.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits