Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did you start to see battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says, how long after ownership did you start to see it? I did my recommended once a week 100% charge and noticed a km has dropped off when fully charged. Hardly an issue I know, but just curious as to other people’s battery life seeing the whole LFP is relatively new to EV’s.

I’m 6 months from new with 14000km.
2021 update SR+ LFP.

I own a 2014 Model S, one of the first. The first time I charged it to 100% it read 488Km (Rated range). I normally charge the car when it gets below about 150km range and charge it back to 90% which currently shows 403/404km.
You will likely see a faster degradation at first; for me It lost about 20Km range in the first 2 years and then the degradation or range loss slows down.
Last week I charged it to 100% for the first time in a while and it stopped at 445Km.
The car will be 7 years old on December 29 and I have lost 43/448 = 9.5% range in that time.
This degradation has had zero impact on how I use the car as 400Km range is still plenty for around town and between Superchargers on trips. YMMV.

I started noticing degradation on my 2019 Model 3 Performance Stealth immediately. I was careful with my battery for about 18 months, never charging above 95% (and only for road trips, nightly charge was set to 75%) and never discharging below 5%. I do floor the accelerator consistently though, that may be a factor in the following.

I've had my car just over 2 years now and 67000km later I have 87% of the full battery remaining or a little over 13% degradation according to scanmytesla. 78 kWh when new, 68 kWh when full now.

The km figure on the car tells a slightly different story. As I never fully charged the car until about a month ago, I didn't know what is said. I did extrapolate to about 498km when new though. The car now shows 446km at 100% (although I would never achieve much more the 400km in the real world). So that is 89.5% remaining or 10.5% degradation.

I agree with meloccom, the degraded range isn't really noticeable and completely irrelevant for day to day use. On the highway, availability of ultra-fast chargers/Supercharges are far more important than the range on a Tesla

I did my recommended once a week 100%
Is this the recommendation now? Not for my 2015 - which dropped a few percent in it's first 10K (miles) and is unchanged in the last 55K.
There was a step change increase of a few miles once on a software change, and again a slight drop on another.
But real world use, and charged range claim are basically unchanged in 5 years and 50K.
Charged to 90% almost every day, hardly ever supercharged, and seldom below 20% (though did get it down to 1 mile of claimed range once).
Winters in CO, but garaged overnight, every night.

It can be a bit hard to judge. I had gone from 500 to 420 km in my P3 over 18 months of mostly local driving because of COVID19 restrictions. I went on a decent country trip and it went back up to 450km. Where it actually is for me will have to wait until a few more decent runs.

I started noticing degradation on my 2019 Model 3 Performance Stealth immediately. I was careful with my battery for about 18 months, never charging above 95% (and only for road trips, nightly charge was set to 75%) and never discharging below 5%. I do floor the accelerator consistently though, that may be a factor in the following.

I read somewhere there may be some consensus that us early P- adopters were hit with a little excessive early degradation. TeslaFi has always had me on the bottom end compared to others.

According to TeslaFi my current degradation is at 8.25%, but is has been as bad as 13%.

1637553947077.png

Shows the differences the guessometer has issues with, considering temperatures differences at times of year, how often it gets a proper 0% and 100% reading through charging habits etc.

ScanMyTesla has "Full pack when new" at 77.8kWh and current "Nominal full pack" at 70.1 kWh (9.9% degradation).

I also took my aeros off day 1, so that my impact the results by up to 5%.

Have done 65k kms.

Doesn't bother me. Even a degraded Tesla will have plenty of range for even my excessive driving habits.

My 1/2020 Fremont SR+ still gives me 6 hours of suburban uber driving in warmer months, and 5ish hours in cold weather. The actual number of kilometres on the guess-o-meter doesn't really matter. Your driving habits will vary your mileage dramatically, as will headwinds, crosswinds, temperature, traffic, gradients etc. As time goes on you may find you need to charge more frequently on longer drives. By then there should be plenty more public chargers.

I'd suggest you switch display from km to % (just press on it & it'll switch), and leave it there.

Doesn't bother me. Even a degraded Tesla will have plenty of range for even my excessive driving habits.

My 1/2020 Fremont SR+ still gives me 6 hours of suburban uber driving in warmer months, and 5ish hours in cold weather. The actual number of kilometres on the guess-o-meter doesn't really matter. Your driving habits will vary your mileage dramatically, as will headwinds, crosswinds, temperature, traffic, gradients etc. As time goes on you may find you need to charge more frequently on longer drives. By then there should be plenty more public chargers.

I'd suggest you switch display from km to % (just press on it & it'll switch), and leave it there.
Quoted for the truth. @QBN_PC knows of which they speak.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I read somewhere there may be some consensus that us early P- adopters were hit with a little excessive early degradation. TeslaFi has always had me on the bottom end compared to others.

According to TeslaFi my current degradation is at 8.25%, but is has been as bad as 13%.

View attachment 735898

Shows the differences the guessometer has issues with, considering temperatures differences at times of year, how often it gets a proper 0% and 100% reading through charging habits etc.

ScanMyTesla has "Full pack when new" at 77.8kWh and current "Nominal full pack" at 70.1 kWh (9.9% degradation).

Have done 65k kms.
My LR is much the same as yours, so perhaps not a P- thing.

1637612581540.png

Currently 9.2% at 2 years and 41,000k and has been up to 11%. Like you, I took my aeros off on day one and it is very good point that it is easy to overlook this. As long as it plateaus here I will be happy.

Reactions: OzVic
2016 S90D bought in 2018, still has 400-405km when charged to 95%. No discernible degradation during my ownership, maybe a couple of km, but it's lost in the noise. My regular overnight charge to 80% shows 335-345km, going up and down depending on random things like temperature (I imagine) so it's hard to get a repeatable benchmark to compare to.

• Informative
Reactions: Leeroy and Flatbat
2016 S90D bought in 2018, still has 400-405km when charged to 95%. No discernible degradation during my ownership, maybe a couple of km, but it's lost in the noise. My regular overnight charge to 80% shows 335-345km, going up and down depending on random things like temperature (I imagine) so it's hard to get a repeatable benchmark to compare to.
That's really good. Wonder why your S battery has done so well, whereas the model 3 seems to have declined as a fleet?
Blue line is how Teslafi plots mine and the green line is how it has compared to 500 other 3s with similar Kms. I did OK in the first 12 months. Now I am worse off than 90% of them.

1637622474773.png

My LR showed no degradation in the first year. Slide the charge level all the way to the right and it would show 500 km.

It was only after we went on a long road trip around NSW and VIC earlier this year, and did quite a few fast charges along the way, did that indicator start to drop. It now shows around 475 km - which if true would be 5% after 2 years. But even then I’m not convinced that is real. It’s been as low as 464 km, but going for long drives seems to recalibrate the remaining range indicator and the fully charged range estimate goes a bit higher next time around.

• Informative
Reactions: Leeroy

I've had my car just over 2 years now and 67000km later I have 87% of the full battery remaining or a little over 13% degradation according to scanmytesla. 78 kWh when new, 68 kWh when full now.

The km figure on the car tells a slightly different story. As I never fully charged the car until about a month ago, I didn't know what is said. I did extrapolate to about 498km when new though. The car now shows 446km at 100% (although I would never achieve much more the 400km in the real world). So that is 89.5% remaining or 10.5% degradation.

I agree with meloccom, the degraded range isn't really noticeable and completely irrelevant for day to day use. On the highway, availability of ultra-fast chargers/Supercharges are far more important than the range on a Tesla

im exactly the same as you (445km). The other guy with a '19 performance 3 is on 409km but he always charges to 90% in Cairns.
I'm pretty sure that the heat is poison for the battery. Though my car spends most of the time sitting at 50% as I only do roadtrips....
flooring the pedal is almost certainly irrelevant for degradation

Though its odd that theres a few people down i.e. in Melbourne who also have '19 cars and similar degradation.

Last edited:

View attachment 735898

Have done 65k kms.

i have the same consensus. we all have crap packs. they must have really messed up on the battery assembly line for our cars. you are the best one out of all of us tbh.

Reactions: OzVic
So in all of this, is there a correlation between pack chemistry and degradation?

i think the main factor feeding into it is battery lottery. And the only reason I say that is that despite technerd and I up in the tropics having qutie severe degradation, people in i.e. Melbourne dont look much better despite consierable better climate.

I think if you dont charge to 90% then the effect of heat isnt quite so profound. (Like I said, my friend in Cairns has 409km and he charges to 90% every day which when the battery sleeps at over 30C is probably not the best idea. But I bet charging to 80% instead is all that is needed to prevent that).

Last edited: