TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

When will Model 3 be available if you don't reserve?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Cornellio, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Cornellio

Cornellio Member

HI all,

I can't decide whether to reserve a Model 3. How much sooner would I get the car vs. not reserving and just going out to buy one when delivery starts? I have a lease on a Nissan Leaf through Dec. 2018, so reserving might actually get me the car sooner than I need it. I would really like to time the end of the lease with a new Tesla. Should I reserve or not?

Sorry if this question has been covered already.

2. DougH

DougH Active Member

There is a Model 3 section below this section.

Use that for Model 3.

3. Cornellio

Cornellio Member

argh, just noticed wrong forum. Will try to move/delete.

4. Fonguy

Fonguy Member

Never. People in China will start lining up and at 2 minutes per person they will never reach the end of the line.

5. Cornellio

Cornellio Member

Could happen.
    I just reserved mine.

6. Les Green

Les Green New Member

Good for you... and Good Luck:cool:

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

I have a Leaf lease through January 2019.

I reserved my model 3 at 11:20 today, got in line at 7:40.

Will order highly optioned model 3 in Texas. Still worried I may not get it by the time my lease is up. Actually hope I get it a year before my lease is up. Or as soon as possible...

8. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

If you want to get the car any time in 2018, I would make a reservation now. Tesla didn't burn off Model S reservations for over 6 months, Tesla still hasn't burned off Model X reservations...

• Like x 1
  9. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

Good thing.

For those (without priority) who haven't reserved yet, IMO there is no chance you get the car before 2019. Better chance you get in 2020 or later than 2018.

10. BravoSarah

BravoSarah Member

I would reserve online anyway. If your lease isn't up put it on leasebusters.

11. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

If you're lucky enough to be able to configure your Model 3 in 2018, you may be able to defer delivery until Dec 2018. I was given the option to defer delivery on my Model S.

12. SOCALM3

SOCALM3 Member

Don't believe the Hype. Half the pre-orders will drop out when the time comes. $35K is for a base, when they start adding options to the car some of these people will request a refund. Some will sell their place in line to make a profit. As with any other car manufacturer they will make models that are available for purchase on their showroom. They won't be exactly what you want but they will be there.

13. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Over 250K reservations now. I'd say 2020 or later.

14. Tree95

Tree95 Member

I was with you up to this point. Tesla doesn't allow this. Yeah, some can go through with their purchase and immediately put it up for sale as there will almost certainly be people willing to pay well above the factory price just to get one quickly.

15. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

You won't get it sooner than you need it, because your reservation only determines when you'll be invited to configure, but you can delay indefinitely and only confirm your order when you're ready. So no harm putting down a reservation ASAP unless you can't spare the $1000.

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Like the S and the X, Model 3 reservations are not transferable. This has been pointed out many times on TMC by many people besides me.

17. AnalysiZ

AnalysiZ Active Member

I lined up on the 31st... Combined with being a Model S owner and Soon Model X owner (one of the first to be delivered in Europe) combined with the idea of making it Full Option Model 3..... I would have met all conditions to be prioritized... So... I expect to be one of the first in Europe to receive model 3..... End of 2018....

Reserving today would put me somewhere in 2020 I guess, unless Tesla can ramp up production incl. all supply lines!
    By the way, I believe that they WILL be able to do that, because of the drive of EM and his team AND because others will step in and help because of the success of these pre-orders!

So, my advise... IF you want to drive before 2020, you still have a chance because you live in the US, but... I think you should make a reservation ASAP!

• Informative x 1
  18. CarlosSWeiner

CarlosSWeiner New Member

My guess is 2021 if you don't have one on order already.

19. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

As a non-Tesla-or-SpaceX-employee, you have met all conditions to be prioritized except for one... You are not living in the Bay Area. But in Europe, you are right that you'll be pretty early..

• Like x 1
  20. gocken2

gocken2 Model S: P6931

Tesla has repeatedly said that they plan on delivering 500K cars in 2020. There ramp up will not be linear but an S curve. Maybe 10 Model 3s in 2017, 200K in 2018, 400K in 2019, and 440K in 2020 (with 60K Model S & X). In this case anybody ordering now (or maybe anytime this year) you should expect a 2019 delivery date. I may be optimistic but even if it's 10 for 2017, 60K for 2018, 300K for 2019, 440K for 2020 they will still get their car in 2019.