Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where can I order a front license plate bracket? My Roadster never had one...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are (much) cheaper options, but I have the one from Mower Deck Axle ( Mower Deck Axles,Carrera,Cayman,John Deere,Kubota ).
Advantage: No holes in your bumper (mounts via the tow hook screw hole), easily take it off and make your car stock again or just for shows and races, etc.
Disadvantage: Cost, and also any front license plate is frankly not as sexy. But, you know. State laws. Sorry dude.

My Roadster came with an extra plastic plate holder (but no screws). It was just sitting in the trunk. PM me if you want it (with your mailing address) and I'll send it to you. Maybe your service center will mount it for you. It doesn't put holes in the bumper, BTW.

Last edited:
My Roadster came with an extra plastic plate holder (but no screws). It was just sitting in the trunk. PM me if you want it (with your mailing address) and I'll send it to you. Maybe your service center will mount it for you. It doesn't put holes in the bumper, BTW.

Many Thanks to sethr for calling me and sending me a license mount that he had.

Thanks man!

T

I just bought and installed the front license plate holder from Mower Deck Axle for my 2008 Tesla Roadster. http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplatebrackets/othermakesmodelcars.html

I give it 5 stars so far:
*Ordering was easy and fast.
*Larry provides prompt, courteous, highly professional and personalized contact by email
*It is a very solid and elegant solution - beautiful design and machining, light-as-a-feather but robust aluminum
* It literally took less than 5 mins to install due to its ingenious design and crystal clear instructions
*It looks great (i.e., invisible!) and seems very solid
*It should be be easy to remove if a tow is ever needed or to "show" the car
*It think it is worth every penny of its somewhat expensive price ($89.95 plus shipping)

A +1 for Larry's bracket. After being backed into twice my original Steve-designed front plate bracket gave up. I ordered Larry's last week. IIRC it was the same price as Steve's and is well made. Larry shipped fast and installation was smooth, even accounting for my 4.5 and 2 year old helping. Drove to and from work today and it didn't move. Success!

I thought I'd show you a simple bracket I fabricated for my roadster front plate that fits on the tow hook. Took me about 2 hours to make from some lite gauge steel and a plastic mounting plate I picked up at hardware section at Walmart. Just thought you might like to see if you wanted to construct one yourself...
WP_20150315_001.jpg
WP_20150315_003.jpg
if you have any questions let me know! Ken 2010 Roadster 2.0 #521

Scott Kirksey whipped up another batch of his version - based on (or is) Steve's design, I believe. The price was $60/each plus $15 for shipping earlier this year, but you might want to double check that. The bracket comes with the bolt, lock washer, 2 allen keys, and instructions for assembly. Scott prefers PayPal. You can reach him at Scott dot Kirksey at gmail.com.

After all this time I finally got around to calling Larry @ Mower Axle dot com

Great Guy! Easy to talk to and very nice.

I have my unit being sent. I decided that after a year of running without a properly mounted front plate I want to ensure my car is up to snuff.

Best,

T

I thought I'd show you a simple bracket I fabricated for my roadster front plate that fits on the tow hook. Took me about 2 hours to make from some lite gauge steel and a plastic mounting plate I picked up at hardware section at Walmart. Just thought you might like to see if you wanted to construct one yourself...View attachment 93629View attachment 93630 if you have any questions let me know! Ken 2010 Roadster 2.0 #521

rdstr, I just bought a 2010 Roadster and live in Virginia, which requires front plates. I'd like to make a bracket like yours. What's the dia/thread size of the tow bolt hole? Thanks!

There are several suggestions in this thread. Did any of them appeal to you? I think Scott Kirksey still has some of the ones he made for me.

I still have the plastic frame that Tesla provided to mount to the bumper with two screws, but I would never want to drill those holes. You could have that one if you want it.

Welcome to occasionally vexing yet often rewarding world of Roadster ownership @Jodro!

There's another thread on front license plate mounting here. Mower Deck Axle Company makes an excellent aluminum one that a few of us are using including me. Not the cheapest solution available @ $89.95 USD but certainly one of the most sturdy. It appears it's still available on their site here (scroll to the bottom of the page) so perhaps they still make them? Cross posting an image @Curt posted of his car with it mounted to the front for reference:

img_0381-jpg.75441

Reactions: Curt