Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the "frame" made?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Al Sherman

It's about THIS car.
Nov 29, 2012
Batesville, IN
Maybe I should have put this in the "anti-EV gibberish" section.

A friend who likes to take random "potshots" at my car recently said something about the MS frame being made in the UK. He vaguely referenced an interview by Charles Gibson on Good Morning America. I haven't seen any reference to such an interview.

I don't truly care about it. I'm totally aware that buying a complex product anywhere that is totally sourced from any one country, or geographic area even is almost impossible. I HAVE seen where Tesla estimated that 55% of the Model S is sourced from North America. As I said, this is beside the point for me.

But specifically to respond to my know it all friend:

Does the Model S have a "frame" per se?
Aren't the Body, Battery enclosure, and "frame" made and assembled robotically at Fremont?

Thanks. Any references so I can shut him up.:wink:
I don't think Tesla publishes any data regarding US content of the Models S, although Elon has made mention to many components being sourced from the USA.
However you could send him the link to the Bloomberg video showing the frame being stamped and manufactured in the Freemont factory. Bloomberg visits Tesla

Maybe I should have put this in the "anti-EV gibberish" section.

A friend who likes to take random "potshots" at my car recently said something about the MS frame being made in the UK. He vaguely referenced an interview by Charles Gibson on Good Morning America. I haven't seen any reference to such an interview.

I don't truly care about it. I'm totally aware that buying a complex product anywhere that is totally sourced from any one country, or geographic area even is almost impossible. I HAVE seen where Tesla estimated that 55% of the Model S is sourced from North America. As I said, this is beside the point for me.

But specifically to respond to my know it all friend:

Does the Model S have a "frame" per se?
Aren't the Body, Battery enclosure, and "frame" made and assembled robotically at Fremont?

I bet your friend is totally jealous of your Model S and is trying to disguise his inadequacy.

I can't confirm this link's validity, but for comparison, it suggests the Volt is 40%:

U.S./Canadian parts content: 40%
Major source of foreign parts content: Korea 20% (the batteries)
Engine: Austria
Transmission (Electric Drive Unit): Japan

Read more: Chevy Volt costing taxpayers up to $250K per vehicle in govt subsidies (Indiana, how much) - Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, Conservatives, Liberals, Third Parties, Left-Wing, Right-Wing, Congress, President - Page 2 - City-Data Forum

Google+

Ah, here's a window sticker. 46% in 2012:

File:2012 Chevrolet Volt window sticker 01 2012 0483.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

The Leaf is also 45%.

Chevrolet Corvette and Cadillac CTS are 70%.

Last edited:
The Model S "frame" is made in Fremont CA.
Thanks. Any references so I can shut him up.:wink:
Sure. Me. And everybody else that went with me on the factory tour on 2013/07/12. Unless the entire factory team has magic as a significant second skill such that they pulled an incredibly elaborate hoax, I saw parts of the car frame made at the various presses and saw the assembly by the main line.

It is a fantastic experience, but a little scary if you watched the Terminator series and have an active imagination.

And, of course, most of that 45% foreign content is the Panasonic battery cells.

This is true whether you are talking value, or part count/weight. Outside of the batteries, by far most o what we think of as going into making a "car" is produced from scratch at the tesla factory. Certainly the frame and body is virtually 100% produced by Tesla, just as most (or all) of the drivetrain, excluding the batteries, is.

I can't confirm this link's validity, but for comparison, it suggests the Volt is 40%:

U.S./Canadian parts content: 40%
Major source of foreign parts content: Korea 20% (the batteries)
Engine: Austria
Transmission (Electric Drive Unit): Japan
The Volt's gas engine is already made in the USA now and the battery cells are being made in Michigan starting this summer.

The Volt's gas engine is already made in the USA now and the battery cells are being made in Michigan starting this summer.
Makes sense. The 2012 Volt increased to 46%:

2012_Chevrolet_Volt_window_sticker_01_2012_0483.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure that is high. Someone looked at the domestic content label of a recent Tennessee LEAF and it was only 15% domestic content - not sure why they don't appear to be using batteries/motors out of the Tennessee plant yet...
My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - 2013 Smyrna built Leaf still has Japan sourced drivetrain

The 2012 and 2013 Leaf primary window stickers don't include the foreign parts content, so it has been difficult to research. I did find this article on greencarreports that suggests that ~80% of the content is domestic. That's a huge variance from the link -- perhaps that person got it backwards?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084088_2013-nissan-leaf-driven-through-tennessee-countryside

Unfortunately, the 2013 is not included on the NHTSA database yet. The 2012 is all Japanese, of course: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws+&+Regulations/Part+583+American+Automobile+Labeling+Act+%28AALA%29+Reports