Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's my performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my performance model s on Saturday. It's still cold where i am, but i have occasionally "hit it" on some straight aways.

I remember literally being scared when i did this in the test drive car... it pulled that hard - plus i did hear the high pitch whine under hard acceleration. I have none of this with my Model S Performance. I'd actually say unimpressed (to myself) - which sounds ridiculous because a lot of people have been talking about this aspect, in a positive way.

I wonder if i'm missing something? "Sport Mode" - lol. To be fair i haven't read all through the manuals, but wondered if anyone else had an opinion.

I received my performance model s on Saturday. It's still cold where i am, but i have occasionally "hit it" on some straight aways.

I remember literally being scared when i did this in the test drive car... it pulled that hard - plus i did hear the high pitch whine under hard acceleration. I have none of this with my Model S Performance. I'd actually say unimpressed (to myself) - which sounds ridiculous because a lot of people have been talking about this aspect, in a positive way.

I wonder if i'm missing something? "Sport Mode" - lol. To be fair i haven't read all through the manuals, but wondered if anyone else had an opinion.

I noticed when I first got my car that my passengers felt the OOMPH more than I did. I wonder if it's because #1 they tuned things a bit (TC, throttle response) to be smoother and #2 you don't feel it as much since you're in control and subconsciously prepare for the thrust. I notice when someone else is driving it almost feels neck-snapping.

I noticed when I first got my car that my passengers felt the OOMPH more than I did. I wonder if it's because #1 they tuned things a bit (TC, throttle response) to be smoother and #2 you don't feel it as much since you're in control and subconsciously prepare for the thrust. I notice when someone else is driving it almost feels neck-snapping.

Thats an excellent point... It's incredibly smooth. I haven't been the passenger yet, either!

They say -- I don't know because I never tried it and never intend to -- that your first hit of cocaine is the best you'll ever feel and each one is downhill from there. Maybe you're feeling the successive Tesla rushes... :) :)

Seriously, I felt the same thing when I did the test drive vs. my car. But I can confirm that from a timing perspective, it's the same acceleration, my car was a rocket! I think you may be feeling the difference between a high-quality production car and a few beta test cars that were well-used-and-abused...

Only thing I can think of is to make sure your car says "P85" when you hit the Tesla logo on the center screen, make sure the car thinks it's a performance model. Then take it out, hammer it, and have someone help time you to make sure it's in the range you expect.

Then thank the stars you can have a rocket with a great ride rather than something that jerks you around.

Did you have the car delivered with winter tires on?

When I first got my car (non-perf 85) it was thrilling and a little bit scary. Now it feels slow to me, even though my passengers are still freaking out. You just get used to it. When my wife drives though, I notice it again. It's the drivers seat. Prepares you for it, plus you are hanging on to the wheel. If you are really worried, time it at a strip or with an app like dynolicious.

I noticed that I too am getting used to the surge of power from my Perf model. However the inertia in the items in my cubby that fly out with extreme velocity occasionally tell me that everything is working properly... :)

This. I went to my parking garage and freaked out when I couldn't find my parking card in the cubby. Then I found it in the floor of the rear seating area.

I stopped punching it with passengers because some of them threatened to puke in my car.

Sent via Tapatalk

I warn people now. It's actually dangerous to floor the P85 without telling passengers to brace. I haven't done it much, or gotten used to it. I suspect Froggy is correct. You adapt to it.

In the old fighter jets from my previous life, you had to check that the nozzles on the engines had closed during an afterburner takeoff. During the first few I never could get it together quickly enough to check the gauges. After about a year, I could read the paper and drink a cup of coffee while checking everything. I think your brain just adapts.

Mine is a non-Performance and I notice that. I pull away at what I think is a "normal" pace and notice that all of the other cars in the pack are way, way back behind me.

That's the amazing part, especially with the performance version. Light acceleration to speed limit means you beat almost everyone unless they are gunning it.

Mine is a non-Performance and I notice that. I pull away at what I think is a "normal" pace and notice that all of the other cars in the pack are way, way back behind me.

Having driven my moms 5 series last week. I will say something similar.

:: DISCLAIMER:: I was second guessing my purchase. I love the car but $85k for a car is absurd. :: DISCLAIMER::

My mom's car is a smooth car. It handles quite well. It has decent pickup. It is a nice $50k BMW 5 series. It is only 2.5 years old, and in excellent shape. That thing was LOUD. It was rough. I couldn't drive more than a crawl without it jerking (to me at least) horribly while accelerating. The smoothness of an electric drive allows SO MUCH LUXURY. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

After my vacation driving back from the airport in my Model S I FULLY think the car is worth $85k. It is probably worth MORE than $85k. I still think it is a absurd amount to spend on a vehicle, but is TOTALLY worth doing so if you can. Not only that, the interior of my mom's BMW seemed cramped and not as nice. iDrive seemed so terrible and archaic. And what a eyesore dozens of buttons are. I have a new appreciation of my Model S seemingly by the week. But that heated steering wheel on the BMW was pretty slick.

This. I went to my parking garage and freaked out when I couldn't find my parking card in the cubby. Then I found it in the floor of the rear seating area.

Agreed! If you ever lose your keyfob and having been driving ....uh...."aggressively"...then panick....but remember to check the rear seating area! Has happened to me twice (same pair of pants with shallow pockets....)

couldnt agree more with the cubby comment either! Makes me want to fork over the $1000 for the CCI.:cursing: