Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Model 3 springs for a more comfortable ride?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome! Which version of Model 3 do you have?

I'm looking to drop a little, but mainly get rid of the "bouncy" ride. I feel like the springs have too little travel before engaging the bump stops. Results in a "jiggly" ride over bumps. Ironically over larger bumps, the car feels fairly smooth. Do you think that's been addressed with these springs?

Thank you.

We've got the Long Range RWD - VIN 1576, so it's an early one...

I've never felt like the ride was "jiggly" - it was too hard and stiff, and I'd describe the feeling of going over bumps more like "jostling" instead. Like the whole car would stiffly bounce, because the springs were too tight or stiff.

Not sure if lowering the car would be right for you, if you're already hitting bump stops, though. I don't know if I've ever felt like the car hit the bump stops, actually. Earlier in this thread was a conversation about shipping blocks... maybe double-check that you don't still have those in place by accident?

Which Model 3 springs for a more comfortable ride?

Finally got my @UnpluggedP Mild Springs installed today!

Before I even left the parking lot, I became a very happy camper! .....

So... the verdict is YAY!!!!!!

I'm seriously considering the mild UP springs for improved ride comfort. It's now been about 6 months since your install, and I was curious as to whether you still feel that these made a considerable improvement in the ride quality of your 3? I've had mine for about a year and a half, and the rough/jarring ride over small bumps/cracks and the road/tire noise on all but the smoothest of asphalt surfaces are by far my biggest complaints.

As for the road noise, I've read a number of posts and seen a few videos from folks who've made various sound dampening attempts, but none so far have jumped out at me as being really worth the effort. Has anyone done something along these lines and thought, "yeah, this is a significant improvement, and totally worth it"?

Hi @jpatrick1821 - So... at the moment I actually don't have the mild lowering springs on the car anymore. What ended up happening was that there was a clunking sound in the suspension when I would go over bumps at low speed. Unplugged Performance did some troubleshooting, but they couldn't find the culprit. I took it to Tesla in March, and they replaced the front stabilizer bar, but it still didn't solve the clunking.

I then had UP remove their springs and put my original springs back on, so I could take it back to Tesla service, in April. The clunking was still there - though it was less pronounced with the factory springs. Tesla confirmed they heard the clunking as well, and they replaced some components with the latest versions.

That solved the clunking, and -- get this -- improved the ride quality dramatically! I'm guessing my suspension now feels like most other Model 3's (where most people aren't complaining about the harshness of the ride...)

At this point I've got the lowering springs sitting in a box in my garage, and am considering whether or not I want to switch back to them. I I think the ride quality was still better with the UP springs than I currently have, but had my car driven like it does now from the beginning, I probably wouldn't have sought out the softer springs in the first place.

I don't love that the mild springs lowered the car quite a bit -- it may look good, but it means we do scrape things every once in awhile (I scraped going into our driveway once, which isn't particularly steep... and parking lots can be tricky under the front bumper). And, I don't love having aftermarket parts in place, since it voids the warranty for the suspension. But on the other hand, I did like the ride quality more...

So... you may want to talk to your service center, and ask them to change out your suspension components for the latest versions. (If I didn't have the clunking sound, I doubt they would have done it). If not, I'd say you should go with the mild springs! :)

Here are the parts they added for the stabilizer update in March:
Correction: Link - Stabilizer Bar - Front - Pair
NUT,HF,M12-1.75,[10],ZNNI,PTP (1111543-00-A). (Quantity 4)
STABAR LINK ASSY, FRONT-RIGHT (1044396-00-D). (Quantity 1)
STABAR LINK ASSY, FRONT-LEFT (1044391-00-D). (Quantity 1)

And the parts they added to fix the clunking -- which also improved the ride quality in April:
Correction: Spring and Damper Assembly - Front - LH
DAMPER ASSY, FRONT-LEFT,COIL,RWD,E3(DEV) (1044364-91-E). (Quantity 2)
Correction: Spring and Damper Assembly - Front - RH
DAMPER ASSY,FRONT-RIGHT,COIL,RWD,E3 (1044369-91-E). (Quantity 1)

Hi @jpatrick1821 - So... at the moment I actually don't have the mild lowering springs on the car anymore. What ended up happening was that there was a clunking sound in the suspension when I would go over bumps at low speed. Unplugged Performance did some troubleshooting, but they couldn't find the culprit. I took it to Tesla in March, and they replaced the front stabilizer bar, but it still didn't solve the clunking.

I then had UP remove their springs and put my original springs back on, so I could take it back to Tesla service, in April. The clunking was still there - though it was less pronounced with the factory springs. Tesla confirmed they heard the clunking as well, and they replaced some components with the latest versions.

That solved the clunking, and -- get this -- improved the ride quality dramatically! I'm guessing my suspension now feels like most other Model 3's (where most people aren't complaining about the harshness of the ride...)

At this point I've got the lowering springs sitting in a box in my garage, and am considering whether or not I want to switch back to them. I I think the ride quality was still better with the UP springs than I currently have, but had my car driven like it does now from the beginning, I probably wouldn't have sought out the softer springs in the first place.

I don't love that the mild springs lowered the car quite a bit -- it may look good, but it means we do scrape things every once in awhile (I scraped going into our driveway once, which isn't particularly steep... and parking lots can be tricky under the front bumper). And, I don't love having aftermarket parts in place, since it voids the warranty for the suspension. But on the other hand, I did like the ride quality more...

So... you may want to talk to your service center, and ask them to change out your suspension components for the latest versions. (If I didn't have the clunking sound, I doubt they would have done it). If not, I'd say you should go with the mild springs! :)

And the parts they added to fix the clunking -- which also improved the ride quality in April:

The online catalog shows a number of different versions (revisions) for the dampers. It is hard to tell, but there may even be an "F" version out now. As an aside, the rears only show two versions for the RWD cars (and one for all AWD), so you likely have the ;atest version there already.

Reactions: Andrew

Andrew - great information, thanks - just looking at these - was all the parts and work done on the front only? if so, I am (as a newbie to suspension tech) surprised at getting better ride quality.

Congrats Andrew! I've had the UP Mild springs for 3 months now and am still loving them. I love the ride height (I got the Mild instead of the Moderate as I only wanted about a 1" drop), and the reduction in body roll was especially helpful on the track. For $400 they are a great performance bang for the buck for sure. I still may get full C/O one day, but I'm still saving $ for wider wheels and tires first.

Excuse my ignorance, I never felt the need to mess with any of my cars' suspension before, but this one is different.
Is it not possible to install a 1" thick spacer in addition to the new springs to keep the overall height the same?

Hi all,

I’ve been following this thread for a few weeks. I have a Model 3 Performance (Non-Performance Package) that I bought in Aug 2018. I recently upgraded my stock Aero wheels to 20” TSW Aileron wheels with a Toyo Proxes 4 Plus staggered wheels, mid-to-low profile tires, so not much cushioning.

I’m having the worst ride these days, it’s super bumpy, feels every pin on the road, every small groove or ditch the car goes over, hits my brain and my ears with the cabin making noise. On high speeds and big bumps, the car goes like a horse - up and down. I am so frustrated. I keep the PSI to 41 (Cool) - 45 (Hot). I’m looking for a smooth ride, something that will cushion up much more and give me less bumpy ride.

I called Unplugged Performance, they recommended MILD springs. I ordered them on the phone (free shipping), and they’re backordered till end of August.

Did I make the right call?

Hi all,

I’ve been following this thread for a few weeks. I have a Model 3 Performance (Non-Performance Package) that I bought in Aug 2018. I recently upgraded my stock Aero wheels to 20” TSW Aileron wheels with a Toyo Proxes 4 Plus staggered wheels, mid-to-low profile tires, so not much cushioning.

I’m having the worst ride these days, it’s super bumpy, feels every pin on the road, every small groove or ditch the car goes over, hits my brain and my ears with the cabin making noise. On high speeds and big bumps, the car goes like a horse - up and down. I am so frustrated. I keep the PSI to 41 (Cool) - 45 (Hot). I’m looking for a smooth ride, something that will cushion up much more and give me less bumpy ride.

I called Unplugged Performance, they recommended MILD springs. I ordered them on the phone (free shipping), and they’re backordered till end of August.

What's the weight on those Wheels? I looked on their website and couldn't find any information. The tires are supposed to be decent riding but perhaps not class-leading in ride. I'm also surprised that those are available in a 235/35 size to fit on 20 inch wheels.

One question might be whether you noticed a big deterioration in the ride after switching to these 20 inch wheels and ultra low profile tires or whether the ride was always unsatisfactory and is now just slightly worse. I'm not sure I would spend money on Springs when the problem may be elsewhere.

In general the best Riding High Performance Tire for that car is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and if you have to have all seasons the Pilot Sport 3 plus

Last edited:
Hi all,

The right call would be getting a coilover set. Spring and damper are a system. Only change the spring will soften the ride but will not do much to the control aspect of the horsy ride.

Reactions: dfwatt
The right call would be getting a coilover set. Spring and damper are a system. Only change the spring will soften the ride but will not do much to the control aspect of the horsy ride.

I may just amplify Beastmode's point. A good ride involves a lot of tuning between a host of components and compromises as well in relationship to handling. Sidewall compliance which varies of course across brands of tire and aspect ratios, bushing stiffness, both compression and rebound on shock valving, spring rates including whether or not the spring is Progressive, and the effect of temperature on all of the above (but especially sidewall, bushing and shock damping which all get significantly harder in cold weather) have to be optimally tuned. Mountain Pass and KW I believe did an excellent job of integrating spring rate and shock valving on both their performance and comfort coil-over setup. The sport coil-over setup can be dialed back so that it is just as comfortable as stock or can be set very firm.

Actually that reminds me beastmode, where do you run your setup on the street in terms of compression and rebound settings front and rear?

I may just amplify Beastmode's point. A good ride involves a lot of tuning between a host of components and compromises as well in relationship to handling. Sidewall compliance which varies of course across brands of tire and aspect ratios, bushing stiffness, both compression and rebound on shock valving, spring rates including whether or not the spring is Progressive, and the effect of temperature on all of the above (but especially sidewall, bushing and shock damping which all get significantly harder in cold weather) have to be optimally tuned. Mountain Pass and KW I believe did an excellent job of integrating spring rate and shock valving on both their performance and comfort coil-over setup. The sport coil-over setup can be dialed back so that it is just as comfortable as stock or can be set very firm.

Actually that reminds me beastmode, where do you run your setup on the street in terms of compression and rebound settings front and rear?
For street I am at 12c/10r front and back. Which is way better in terms of ride quality and control than stock. No horsey and or harshness of the stock. I might try soften up the front to 14c/12r or 13c/11r. @mcbarnet007 has the soft front setup.

Reactions: dfwatt
I once took a road trip in a buddies model 3. Love the torque and flat cornering. The car seems like an awesome performance commuter.

Once the trip was over, I immediately transfered to my Cadillac CTS with magnaride. Pardon the pun, but I was shocked. My plans of owning a model 3 are destroyed. Supple ride, alpha chassis flat cornering, and lively steering feedback. I am hoping Tesla can fix this, because I'll be a buyer when they do, but darn .. GM magnaride performance cars are sweet.