Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Paint Bumper mismatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The white looks so nice too, its crazy t
If done right, I want white...but this thread is concerning.

Maybe I should switch to silver or the classier but higher maintenance MSM...

I wanted white but the ongoing issues concerned me. I went to a SC and looked at more recent VINs and they all had the issue. That made my mind up and I switched to Silver on my order. I still love the white when it matches.

Why does MSM need higher maintenance?
Based on what I’ve observed with the model S, maintenance-wise, MSM isn’t as bad as black, but, similar to deep blue metallic, it is dark enough to show light colored dirt, pollen, water spots, paint swirls, and minor scratches that are largely invisible on silver metallic and white.

I was initially sold on white a few weeks back after a Tesla maintenance worker (Vienna, VA location) showed me MSM and white M3s with large gashes/scratches. The scratch on the MSM M3 was obvious from 5 feet away whereas I could only see the scratch on the white M3 from about 5 inches away and only from certain angles when the sun hit the car just right.

Wow that is really off, the bumper has a blue hue push, like the white is not as solid as the rest of the car. Are they gonna blend it? Not really a good option on a new car to blend into the rear quarter panels but I can’t see them matching it without blending

With VIN at 29XXX I would have hoped they fixed it by then

Last edited:
Here is my buddies white M3 Vin in the 19XXX

Attachments

• 94C1A7C4-BA19-4FC6-9281-D982AA2AF233.jpeg
    94C1A7C4-BA19-4FC6-9281-D982AA2AF233.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 203
I wish someone would post the ones that do match if they are out in the wild , like I said before I have seen Model S match but yet to see a Model 3 match , some of it has a lot to do with the flop on the pearl paint not being painted in the same direction as the body , and being painted apart from the body doesn’t help either

Wow that is really off, the bumper has a blue hue push, like the white is not as solid as the rest of the car. Are they gonna blend it? Not really a good option on a new car to blend into the rear quarter panels but I can’t see them matching it without blending

With VIN at 29XXX I would have hoped they fixed it by then

They didn't blend mine, just painted the bumper and it turned out good.

I took delivery a few weeks ago vin 29xxx and my bumper did not match. Every person at Tesla and the authorized body shop told me "oh that's not so bad"... Really? I don't want OK, I want a friggen match!

Anyways, I dropped the car off this week at Leon's Auto Body, the best authorized body shop where I am located. I will be getting it back today so will report back with how it looks.

Here's a picture of my before:
vvoKas9.jpg
Went to pick this up today and it looked much better, but unfortunately they had some overspray that peeled the paint when they tried to remove it. They get to keep it a few more days to remedy and I get to continue driving the yacht rental (dodge charger) I was given :mad:

Brought my car into Burlingame to fix A/C. Seems a mouse had made its way to the top front near the passenger air intake just behind the frunk and had chewed through the A/C control wires. New car, no idea where a mouse would come from and how it could do that much damage. Unfortunately, not covered by warrantee.

While I was there, mentioned I have the bumper color mismatch issue. Tesla said they had two body shops they trust and they would send the car to one of them. It came back in a few days with exactly the same bumper color. I bodyshop swears they painted both bumpers but it's clear that they didn't touch it. Thinking about next steps, perhaps try the other bodyshop. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

In addition, my wife noticed some crumbs on my seat and I notice my nav was programed for In-N-Out Burger…come on you service guys, really?

I absolutely love my M3. Elon & crew did a fantastic job. Obviously the bodyshop support is a weak link.

BTW, Tesla service gave me a 2014 p85 loaner. My first drive in a S. It is as if that car was made by an entirely different company…the p85 is an amazingly nice car to drive.

I think you're can still but expect a possible repaint once they figure it out. Was watching a tsportline video with the model S front bumper refresh and pearl white matches with no blending, so it is possible.

Also model S and model X pearl i have seen also matches, so might get lucky. Someone posted a video on you tube today at costa mesa delivery center and it looks good, but the other 2 pearl white i saw on youtube, youngtesla and the guy in NC was definitely off.

Welcome to the world of pearlescent white. Look at most any white Lexus sometime and you’ll see the same, to varying degrees, unfortunately. It’s painted on a different base layer (plastic vs metal) and as a result the paint reflects and holds differently.

True for any color most likely. Especially true of white.