Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Paint Bumper mismatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also in similar boat as some others here. Was supposed to take delivery 5/31 in NYC but just got a call today that my car arrived with mismatched rear bumper (VIN 233xxx). They’re sending to a shop for repainting and turnaround time is 1 week.

Ironcially, even when it’s ready next week I still won’t be able to take delivery because I’ll be in CA for a conference. So my car and I will just swap coasts. Ships in the night.

So It's been about 3 weeks since I dropped off my Model 3 (Been at service center longer than my house. But at least I have a Model S Loaner). The service center person even agreed that my bumper looked more yellow/worse than other whites at the location.

I got news recently that they were replacing my bumper with a new one (yay!). Then my wife gets a call today saying they will only do it if I agree to accept whatever outcome occurs from this process. Meaning if they make it worse I have to accept it and move on. What do you guys think?

So It's been about 3 weeks since I dropped off my Model 3 (Been at service center longer than my house. But at least I have a Model S Loaner). The service center person even agreed that my bumper looked more yellow/worse than other whites at the location.

I got news recently that they were replacing my bumper with a new one (yay!). Then my wife gets a call today saying they will only do it if I agree to accept whatever outcome occurs from this process. Meaning if they make it worse I have to accept it and move on. What do you guys think?

I would push back, they should be able to get it right. They are now coming from the factory painted correctly so they should be willing to get you a bumper that matches, even if the first one that comes doesn't match. The car arrived defective.

I'm saying this while nervously waiting to see the outcome of my repaint..... should find out tomorrow. If it's not any better, i'm pushing for a new bumper factory painted.

Bit unreasonable request on their part in my opinion for you having to accept it no matter what. You paid for a car with matching paint every where, not just matching in certain parts.

My appointment for delivery is tomorrow at noon (Highland Park). I called a few minutes ago to make sure everything was set and they're trying to reschedule me for 5pm. Apparently the body shop will be finishing the car in the morning and noon doesn't leave the delivery center enough time to detail the car?

My sig other is annoyed. Since we have a 2-3 hour drive from Madison, a 5pm appointment puts us squarely in the middle of Friday rush hour in Chicago. And we're forced to bring the dog with us as opposed to keeping him in daycare. A series of minor annoyances.

The New Yorker in her doesn't take well to incompetence: "They had the whole week. Tell them to figure it out - this is poor planning on their part."

Whichever service center you take it to. Make sure you ask what body shop will be doing the work. Then do a search and see reviews of that place. Just because it's a Tesla certified body shop does not mean they do a good job.

I can attest to this. The shop they took it to has 0 reviews. Cracked my charge port. Horrible Paint matching job. Attached it worse.

Telsa finally got back. I got approved for a bumper replacement. We'll see....ergela's looks great and honestly that's what I expected to get back weeks ago.

This thread is so conflicting. Trying to balance how annoying the color mismatch is with the risk of having someone touch the car! It's really too bad it's come to this
I think the bumper issue is few & far between. There WILL be a slight difference when looking at it from different angles in the sun, but unless you are seriously OCD it won’t bother you. I am pretty OCD myself (seriously) and can at times notice a slight difference from the angle i’m looking at but it doesn’t bother me enough to be disappointed that I ordered white. Pearl white is the most complementing color on the 3 IMO. Take a chance and go with white! I did and it paid off.

• Love
Reactions: roguenode
Is common pearl white to be difficult to match between different surbtrates such as metal and plastic. The apparent difference between only appear depending on the lighting. Any body shop will tell you that plastic painted piece will never 100% match metal pieces.

From Subarus, Honda, infinity, Dodge, mazda, acura, infinity they all have the same issue....is kind of funny how different car forums react compared to Tesla owners. So much grown up and car knowledgeable.

The worse part is that over time white paint tends to turn yellow specially on your bumper...it is going to look great in a few years lol.

Question for the WOP owners.
VWVortex.com - New Subaru WRX - Bumper Paint Mismatch?
My 2015 Challenger SRT 392 / Ivory White Tri-Coat - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Snowflake white pearl paint match woes - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
White TLX colour mismatch...! - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community
IPL Rear Bumper Paint Doesnt Match - MyG37
It's true. I have a pearl white Lexus RX350 and my bumper also slightly does not match the body. But it's 8 years old now and the plastic bumper does not turn yellow at all.. So hopefully same story with the Model 3.

I took delivery a few weeks ago vin 29xxx and my bumper did not match. Every person at Tesla and the authorized body shop told me "oh that's not so bad"... Really? I don't want OK, I want a friggen match!

Anyways, I dropped the car off this week at Leon's Auto Body, the best authorized body shop where I am located. I will be getting it back today so will report back with how it looks.

Here's a picture of my before:
vvoKas9.jpg

I took delivery a few weeks ago vin 29xxx and my bumper did not match. Every person at Tesla and the authorized body shop told me "oh that's not so bad"... Really? I don't want OK, I want a friggen match!

Anyways, I dropped the car off this week at Leon's Auto Body, the best authorized body shop where I am located. I will be getting it back today so will report back with how it looks.

Here's a picture of my before:
vvoKas9.jpg

Are they paying for it?

Are they paying for it?
Absolutely, 100% covered by Tesla. More annoyingly is the service centres here have washed their hands of all 3 body work, so owners must deal with the body shops directly. It took repeated emails & calls to the body shop to even get to the point of having an appointment scheduled, and they wanted me to drive out just to get a quote. I had to get Tesla to take pictures and send so they could quote, and even then they were extremely reluctant to help me out. Top notch service!

Absolutely, 100% covered by Tesla. More annoyingly is the service centres here have washed their hands of all 3 body work, so owners must deal with the body shops directly. It took repeated emails & calls to the body shop to even get to the point of having an appointment scheduled, and they wanted me to drive out just to get a quote. I had to get Tesla to take pictures and send so they could quote, and even then they were extremely reluctant to help me out. Top notch service!

That's crazy! Let us know how it looks. Would you still have gotten white had you known you would have gone through all these issues?