Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who else STILL has issues with dashcam/sentry drive not detected? Been a problem for over a year, and Tesla keeps saying an SW update will fix it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t remember when exactly, but a software update a year or so ago, maybe more, caused widespread issues with USB drives not being detected. At some point it seemed to be fixed, but now for the past 6 months my USB drive isn’t detected 99% of the time. I’ve tried 4 different drives, all the same problem.

Service came out and said I needed a Tesla branded drive, which I knew didn’t make sense but I tried it anyway. Unsurprisingly it didn’t work. I submitted another request and they said a software update will fix it and closed my ticket.

Is this a widespread issue? Or does my USB port need replacement?

June 2020 Model 3 Long Range.

Reactions: fr100
Had this issue when I first purchased my Tesla. I am using the stock usb stick that came with the car. Service was quick to deem it a known issue and stated that a resolution will be implemented via software update. Have had my M3 for a couple of months and since then received several updates. None of them have resolved this issue yet. I still randomly get this error pop up on my screen but thankfully my dashcam and sentry still work just fine. But its still annoying getting the alerts. Ironically same deal on the M3 loaner I received. So i think its widespread and known.

Are you using the USB port in the glovebox? In current models that’s the only one you can use for dashcam/media. Are you using a partitioned drive for both dashcam and media? If so, trying using a single partition.

I haven’t had the “dashcam USB not detected” issue in either of our current cars (2023 S and 2023 Y) or our previous cars (2018 S and 2018 3). I do have other dashcam issues, but not that one. The previous cars didn’t have the glovebox port. In the current cars, I’m using the glovebox USB provided by Tesla.

My 2020 model 3 constantly had this issue regardless if I used USB or SSD. I switched it out for a micro SD card and didn't have any issues after that.

I have a '24 now, and haven't had any issues with the included USB, but if I do I'll go back to micro SD.

I've been having this problem for about a year, maybe more. The dash cam feature works only on rare occaisions. I've replaced the USB drive 3 times, using the car's "format" button each time to format the new drive. Sometimes that has fixed the problem, but mostly not. But lately, the "format" button is grayed out, so I can't format the usb drive in the car anymore. I took it to Tesla in Watertown, MA on 5/28 of this year. After an hour they told me that it worked and that all they had to do was reformat the usb drive. The dash cam worked for 3 days and now is not working again. I'll be making another appointment as soon as I have the time to do the 160 mile round trip to Watertown.

The in car format rarely works for me. I have better luck when I reformat the drive using my computer and then create the teslacam folder. Usually lasts for several months to a year after that. Then when it starts to get flaky, I repeat the process. I use a SAMSUNG EVO Select Micro SD 512 GB Memory Card.

Access to the USB drive has had problems off and on since we got our cars in 2020. Everything is find for months and several updates. Then, it doesn’t work or works intermittently for several months and several updates. Then it works again for months. Then back to not working. And so on. Sometimes the not working phase can be worked around by unplugging the drive and plugging back in, or by rebooting with the two button press, or some other fiddling.

Drawing from my career history of embedded systems and programming, these symptoms “smell” like a boot order and driver load problem. They change the software in the car and the detection of the USB drive gets interrupted or messed up as a side effect. Solving these kinds of driver issues is often difficult because the control of the detection process is hard.

None of the above is to say that Tesla shouldn’t be breaking TeslaCam repeatedly. They should be fixing it immediately when they do break it. Currently, both our M3 and MY have trouble and no work around helps. We have a smaller capacity USB stick in the MY that works sometimes. Our Samsung SSDs don’t work at all, right now.

Frustrating!