Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who should be Tesla's new Chair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least for the next 3 years, Tesla is going to need a new Chair: an independent Chair, meaning someone who doesn't work for Tesla — although it could be one of the independent directors who currently serves on the Board.

A few ideas sprang to my mind:

Larry Page? No, Alphabet owns Waymo, which is competing with Tesla. Conflict of interest.

Sam Altman? Elon stepped down from the Board of OpenAI because Tesla is an aspiring AI company and that's a conflict of interest. So, Sam probably wouldn't do it because that would leave OpenAI without a leader.

What about... Richard Branson? Branson seems into big exciting ideas that are technologically ambitious. For instance, he's the Chair of Virgin Hyperloop One. Although Virgin Galactic is a competitor to SpaceX, that might be okay. Arthur Levinson, for example, is the Chair of Apple and the Chair of the Alphabet subsidiary Calico, even though Apple and Google are competitors.

Maybe someone from the auto industry would be a good pick, but those folks tend to be technologically conservative and not savvy with software or AI. As time goes on, AI is going to be increasingly important to Tesla's business model, and traditional auto manufacturing will therefore decrease in relative importance.

Any ideas?

Al Gore serves on Apple's Board, so he has some experience. I guess Neil deGrasse Tyson has some managerial experience running a planetarium and museum, and small business ventures like StarTalk Radio. Maybe he could be an independent director. I would certainly not recommend him as Chair, though. Doesn't seem like he has enough experience. I would ideally want someone who has experience as Chair or CEO of a large public company.

Reactions: APotatoGod and TDog
I will do it for 1/20 of Elon's salary. Will also sleep in factory as required.

Very GOOOOD!!!!!

"Musk made $49,920 in salary in 2017 with no other compensation"

That's for working as both Chairman and CEO!

Let keep that same salary as if it's for 1 position instead of 2, so 1/20 of that is $2,496.

Since the company will have to pay all these millions in SEC fines, maybe you should also pay Tesla to sleep in the factory as if it's a hotel too!

How about $200 per factory sleep night. So, after sleeping a dozen nights, your $2,496 salary will be completely wiped out :)

3C8B7A27-0B05-4245-80D6-0C887206CD5A.jpeg Bonnie