Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if it really is as easy a DIY install as it looks. The new wheel will most likely come with the control panel installed, and some YT'er said the control panel has to be programmed to the car with their shop computer. If that's the case, a DIY would only work by swapping the control panels, which isn't as easy as the Model 3/Y, but still very doable since that's what people do with aftermarket round steering wheels.

A firmware redeploy is all that’s needed - no real toolbox “programming” necessary. Now that Service Mode is open to all, that firmware redeploy is only a couple clicks away. Quite simple.

(Source: service manual.)

So I have an interesting update.

I had a mobile service appointment scheduled for the 19th for something unrelated when I purchased the wheel. I made a second appointment at the service center for the 22nd to have the wheel installed.

Today they message me and say they are merging the two into the mobile service on the 19th. My mobile service now has the steering wheel retrofit listed in the quote.

I will let you guys know if it actually happens or not.

A firmware redeploy is all that’s needed - no real toolbox “programming” necessary. Now that Service Mode is open to all, that firmware redeploy is only a couple clicks away. Quite simple.

(Source: service manual.)
I‘be installed 3 different aftermarket steering wheels so far. It‘s just an easy airbag removal, 2 wire harnesses and the main wheel bolt. No programming issues. If you get a Tesla round wheel just do a DIY install.

I‘be installed 3 different aftermarket steering wheels so far. It‘s just an easy airbag removal, 2 wire harnesses and the main wheel bolt. No programming issues. If you get a Tesla round wheel just do a DIY install.

The purchase price from Tesla includes them doing the install, so might as well have them do it. Won’t take but 20 minutes. I’d do it myself but they ship the wheel to the service center directly.

Also curious if the wheel “kit” comes with a new center bolt. Technically those are supposed to be one-time use. Technically.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The aftermarket wheels came with their own control panels, or you swapped it from your yoke?
Most use the trim and airbag from your yoke, although at least one company (believe it was SecretEV) offers the trim (but not the airbag) as an installed option. Getting the trim off your yoke is arguably the most difficult part of the DIY install though there are videos out there that show the general areas where you pry it off with a trim removal tool or small flathead screwdriver.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and Murtaya
Screenshot_20230318_070937_Chrome.jpg

But what about the control panel, is there one that needs to be swapped.

My Secret EV Carbon Fiber steering wheels came with the trim and control panel. The air bag unit pops off and is reusable, as is the wheel nut. A very easy swap. Some after market wheels don’t include the control panel unless you pay extra.

I’m probably gonna go in and see if I can get them to switch my computer over to thinking the car has a wheel on it (i.e., so it says and shows a ‘wheel’ instead of ‘yoke’). Not a big deal, but I’m assuming they should know how now that they offer the ability to swap parts? I’ll also ask around and see if there’s been a delay in parts, since it seems like dealers are postponing installs. I’ll also ask about keeping the yoke with the install, and if the swap is the full thing or they pull out and swap the center parts (I’m thinking that if they swap the full thing, they probably won’t be letting people keep the old yoke because of the cost of the airbag and other components).

View attachment 918811

But what about the control panel, is there one that needs to be swapped.
The scroll wheels and haptic buttons are all part of the trim I mentioned. The black triangular shaped trim that surrounds the airbag, which also swaps over from your Yoke to the new steering wheel. You pry that off, unplug the harness and move it over to the new wheel. Plug the harness back in and G2G. Bottom line, there is no programming involved. Do a search on YouTube and you’ll find plenty of install videos from T Sportline, Hanshow, etc.

I’m probably gonna go in and see if I can get them to switch my computer over to thinking the car has a wheel on it (i.e., so it says and shows a ‘wheel’ instead of ‘yoke’). Not a big deal, but I’m assuming they should know how now that they offer the ability to swap parts? I’ll also ask around and see if there’s been a delay in parts, since it seems like dealers are postponing installs. I’ll also ask about keeping the yoke with the install, and if the swap is the full thing or they pull out and swap the center parts (I’m thinking that if they swap the full thing, they probably won’t be letting people keep the old yoke because of the cost of the airbag and other components).

My guess is that the new wheel includes the electronics but NOT the airbag. No reason not to just swap the airbag over. Swapping the electronics wouldn’t go well in the service center.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and Murtaya
My local Tesla center didn't really have any answers regarding the new wheel; they didn't know what (if anything) you got to keep, if they could just change my car to think it has a wheel, or what the delivery schedule might be. They hadn't installed it in any cars yet, either.

I also looked at service mode, but couldn't find an option to switch the yoke/wheel setting in it...I'm assuming toolbox is probably needed to do that?

My local Tesla center didn't really have any answers regarding the new wheel; they didn't know what (if anything) you got to keep, if they could just change my car to think it has a wheel, or what the delivery schedule might be. They hadn't installed it in any cars yet, either.

I also looked at service mode, but couldn't find an option to switch the yoke/wheel setting in it...I'm assuming toolbox is probably needed to do that?
Also if you change your wheels and tires they wont show up either. The Arachnids or Tempests are there to stay I think.