Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also if you change your wheels and tires they wont show up either. The Arachnids or Tempests are there to stay I think.
Interesting...those won't even change if you change the wheel sizing in the car's settings?

I just thought I remember somebody finding a "secret" settings modal that allowed people to choose between a yoke and steering wheel setting, so I thought that might be what is used to swap visuals.

The graphics of the yoke bs steering wheel on the touchscreen (HVAC page and IP).
Yup, seems like a minor thing. Could be done automatically with some sort of identity signal from the steering "thing".
20230319_082551.jpg

Am I the only one that got the SC appt changed to mobile?
Mine was just changed to mobile. A welcome change, EXCEPT, unrelated, I experienced an almost total mechanical failure this weekend while in South NJ. Car is making a weird grinding noise, extremely slow to accelerate and ZERO regen. Feels like I'm coasting in neutral once it gets moving. Errors galore all over the dash. Only had manual pump braking power to stop the car (not good). Through the grace of god, I was able to keep it at 50 mph, stay to the right, and get it all the way back to Paramus w/o someone running me off the road. I put a few percentage charge into it and did the service key drop. Hopefully I'll hear from someone tomorrow. Sounds and feels like a major mechanical breakdown. Not software. This isn't good. Car is 7 months old, ~8,500 miles... :( This is after I experienced missing bolts in the wheel well on the drive home from original pick up. Took them three weeks to get me an appointment to fix that factory miss. Oh, and don't forget the month long "electric whining" noise from that bad firmware push a few months ago. Major QC problems here in the first year.

Mine was just changed to mobile. A welcome change, EXCEPT, unrelated, I experienced an almost total mechanical failure this weekend while in South NJ. Car is making a weird grinding noise, extremely slow to accelerate and ZERO regen. Feels like I'm coasting in neutral once it gets moving. Errors galore all over the dash. Only had manual pump braking power to stop the car (not good). Through the grace of god, I was able to keep it at 50 mph, stay to the right, and get it all the way back to Paramus w/o someone running me off the road. I put a few percentage charge into it and did the service key drop. Hopefully I'll hear from someone tomorrow. Sounds and feels like a major mechanical breakdown. Not software. This isn't good. Car is 7 months old, ~8,500 miles... :( This is after I experienced missing bolts in the wheel well on the drive home from original pick up. Took them three weeks to get me an appointment to fix that factory miss. Oh, and don't forget the month long "electric whining" noise from that bad firmware push a few months ago. Major QC problems here in the first year.

Also changed to mobile here as well. Sorry to hear about your failure issue - glad you were able to get to Paramus. They’re usually pretty quick turning things around. If you need contacts there (phone/email/etc) message me.

Keep us posted!

My only issue is an underbody clunk I can’t figure out. Brought it in, they said they adjusted the hood stops —- still didn’t solve for the clunk although it does seem it occurs less frequently. This’ll be a fun one to solve.

Reactions: iceman4014
So I have an interesting update.

I had a mobile service appointment scheduled for the 19th for something unrelated when I purchased the wheel. I made a second appointment at the service center for the 22nd to have the wheel installed.

Today they message me and say they are merging the two into the mobile service on the 19th. My mobile service now has the steering wheel retrofit listed in the quote.

I will let you guys know if it actually happens or not.
Update!
Service tech showed up without a steering wheel to install.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Also changed to mobile here as well. Sorry to hear about your failure issue - glad you were able to get to Paramus. They’re usually pretty quick turning things around. If you need contacts there (phone/email/etc) message me.

Keep us posted!

My only issue is an underbody clunk I can’t figure out. Brought it in, they said they adjusted the hood stops —- still didn’t solve for the clunk although it does seem it occurs less frequently. This’ll be a fun one to solve.
They took the car into "service mode" about an hour after they opened this morning. That a good sign. I was worried dropping it off without an appointment.

Based on how poll is written it looks almost 50:50

If they fixed the horn button I’d consider it. Without that might as well stick with the yoke. Car looks so dated now with the wheel.

Maybe they will offer the portrait screen orientation next. I’d go for that :)

Got a loaner from Paramus today. One of the two motors is totally blown. Parts need to be ordered and ~2 weeks to repair. They gave me a 100D loaner. Interesting to see the evolution of the car pre-refresh. On one hard, I feel the build quality feels slightly better. But the speed, regen, touch screen, tech, range, cooled seats etc. etc. almost every other aspect is better on the refresh. I will say, however, I do like having a round wheel and stalks again. So at least I have a round wheel to look forward to once I'm back on the road. Paramus said they would cancel my mobile service for the wheel replacement and put it on while it's there getting serviced.

Got a loaner from Paramus today. One of the two motors is totally blown. Parts need to be ordered and ~2 weeks to repair. They gave me a 100D loaner. Interesting to see the evolution of the car pre-refresh. On one hard, I feel the build quality feels slightly better. But the speed, regen, touch screen, tech, range, cooled seats etc. etc. almost every other aspect is better on the refresh. I will say, however, I do like having a round wheel and stalks again. So at least I have a round wheel to look forward to once I'm back on the road. Paramus said they would cancel my mobile service for the wheel replacement and put it on while it's there getting serviced.
I owed a 2020 MS LR and in many little ways not only the build quality but also the ride felt better. There's lengthy threads about suspension modes and the minimal difference felt switching between them on current models.

Like you I miss the stalks as well. If Tesla ever implements a variable steering ratio yoke, I'll give it another shot. Still think there is room for more buttons in cabin though. Not everything should be purely touch, looking at you HVAC controls.....