Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whose M3 has NEVER been back to SC for ANY reason? Any??

Has your M3 EVER had to back to SC for ANY Reason?

• I have never taken the car back for any issue - at all! There is no maintenance!

Votes: 126 75.0%
  • My car has been back to Tesla SC or mobile tech service - someone released the smoke from the part!

Votes: 42 25.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My GPS and rear camera went on the fritz, but the day Tesla replied to my report they reset something and voila, everything was happy again. They still want to replace "a part" that's been revised but it'll wait for now. Not sure if this counts as deferred repair or OTA winning. I'm happy, which is my test.
Probably the charge port as there is a service bulletin out if you have never been to a service center

Nope, never. 34,000 miles, delivered July 2018. One of these days we'll get notified our HW3 upgrade is ready, and that'll be first contact. I'll probably ask them to look at service bulletins at that time too.

that's a good point about service bulletins. Is there a site where we can look up VIN service bulletins like we can with recalls?

Never been "back" since mine was Home Delivered. The SC is over 3+hrs away.

Given how dusty it was inside and out, I'd wager it was never even inspected from Fremont. Plus the battery was on Zero SOC. Thank goodness, the battery seems to be fine after its near-death experience at birth.

Given how dusty it was inside and out, I'd wager it was never even inspected from Fremont. Plus the battery was on Zero SOC. Thank goodness, the battery seems to be fine after its near-death experience at birth.

the battery seems to be fine after its near-death experience. I had something similar happen when I got down to 5 miles SOC b/f I knew how harmful it can be and I was stuck at work. Never again! I wonder if some damage was done?

I picked up my car in Fremont, and it was caked in dust. Took the delivery team two washes to get it off.

the battery seems to be fine after its near-death experience. I had something similar happen when I got down to 5 miles SOC b/f I knew how harmful it can be and I was stuck at work. Never again! I wonder if some damage was done?
0 SOC does not equal a dead battery. Tesla stops letting you use the battery before you can damage it. Just don't make a habit of going to 0 SOC every time.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and SlimJim
I had my previous 2018 LR_AWD Model 3 for 14 months without a SC visit (or mobile). I purchased the car used 2 months after it was made so it's possible the orginal owner got all the kinks out before I bought it. I traded it in on a 2020 Performance model on March 20th, after getting the HW3 upgrade. Tesla's trade in deal was too good to pass up. So far so good on the Performance model.

I haven't needed to visit a service center or call a mobile tech yet. I've owned my 3 for 17 months and 19K miles. The driver's window regulator could use an adjustment (it needs two pushes to go up) but other than that, it has been defect free. My nearest SC is 3 hours away, so I plan to stop in at the 2 year mark to change filters and change/check fluids.

As a comparison point, the past 3 new cars we bought before the Tesla were pretty good too:
2016 Chevy Volt 5 trips to dealer in the first 3 years: a software upgrade (took two trips to get it right), a faulty 'park' sensor in the transmission (two trips too, still not 100% right), one for an A/C cable recall. I'd call it an OK track record, not great. Problem compounded by Chevy dealer's lack of experience with Volts. But moderated by the fact that the dealer is 2 miles from my home.
2012 Honda CRV 90K miles, no unscheduled visits ever, scheduled maintenance only
2011 Subaru WRX Sold in 2016 with 65K miles- 1 warranty visit for a rattle in the rear seatback latch (I was picky-fixed while I waited). Plus scheduled maintenance.

I used mobile service once to fix some material I could see through the front vent on the driver side and rattling on the passenger B pillar. Both were fixed in about an hour and a half. Never used them for anything else. My car is 16 months old

My first model 3 purchased in December 2018 had to go back to the SC due to a crack which formed on its own in the rear window, no service charge.

My second Model 3 purchased in July 2019 had to go back 2 times: paint correction under the passenger rear door, and the rear trunk latch was replaced/realigned due to it not closing unless slamming it really hard.

Two months, 5K miles - no visits.

Fixed myself:

• Drivers door hinge and striker adjustment - chrome trim was rubbing the rear door trim when closing causing the door to be hard to open and close.
  • Lubed rear window seals - squeaking when opening and closing.

I have to go to the SC tomorrow but that is for our 6 year old S and even that is the first time in a couple years and mostly for a safety check. I don’t want to jinx it but or 1.5 year old Model 3 with 24k miles has been trouble free. I’ve had to reboot it a few times and rotated the tires myself so it’s never been back.