Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 7.45.10 AM.png
Don't these molded mudflaps (the ones above from eBay) allow water and grit to get down inside between the paint and the molded part of the flap? Or is that part only butting up against the plastic trim?

Attachments

• 6B75C9F8-E594-4BBB-8959-21A18F3DCBED.jpeg
    6B75C9F8-E594-4BBB-8959-21A18F3DCBED.jpeg
    857 KB · Views: 202
  • 28BEEACC-E8E6-46AC-B34E-2DE8292D3608.jpeg
    28BEEACC-E8E6-46AC-B34E-2DE8292D3608.jpeg
    679.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Reactions: HeyEph
the model 3 doesn’t have the plastic trim around the wheel well like the model y

Thanks, good point. So maybe the problem with the M3 flaps doesn't apply here. I'll wait to see reports from people who get them from eBay to see how they fit. It will be interesting to see if they only cover the plastic trim or if they also overlap the painted part.

Ordered the mud flaps from ebay and just received the following response from them

Hi, dear, we are sorry to disturb you. This is a new product. When installing, you need to punch holes in the fender to match the holes of the original car. Do you still need this fender? We can cancel the order for you if it is not needed. We are really sorry. If you can accept it, we can provide you with a half price discount. Looking forward to your reply, thanks.

Ordered the mud flaps from ebay and just received the following response from them

Hi, dear, we are sorry to disturb you. This is a new product. When installing, you need to punch holes in the fender to match the holes of the original car. Do you still need this fender? We can cancel the order for you if it is not needed. We are really sorry. If you can accept it, we can provide you with a half price discount. Looking forward to your reply, thanks.

Just got the same message, by fender I think they mean the mud flap. I’ll probably just keep my order and see how they work. It’s $20 so whatever

I might get these, because there is nothing else. But I do find them sort of ugly. I was hoping for something more molded and sleek. Maybe I am asking for too much, but for other cars you can get ones that actually look good.

Yeah they're so ugly it's crazy - literally just a flat flap of plastic and so expensive - they must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Reactions: patnshan
Yeah they're so ugly it's crazy - literally just a flat flap of plastic and so expensive - they must be laughing all the way to the bank.
I wish they were not so expensive. But, you might WANT them to be a flat piece of plastic, that way, when you jam them on a heap of snow they bend instead of ripping themselves off... and, by being more flexible, it's easier to knock snow and ice off of them.... (that assumes you do real winter driving).

From the ebay seller:
"This is not model 3 flaps, but the flaps we designed for model y. We asked relevant agencies in the United States to help us test a series of data on the model y cars. Through these data, we have developed a production mold, and we are constantly improving this product. When installing the flaps, you need to compare the installation position and screw the screw through the flaps into the hole of the original car."

• Informative
Reactions: NY_Rob and Lozzy