Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a reply from the ebay mud flap seller (and they refunded the remaining 50% of the price I paid for the flaps I kept so I got the flaps for free):

"Hi, dear, we are sorry for the problem, and we will refund the remaining fee to you. The flaps need to be improved, and it may take a long time to wait. You can leave your email address. We will notify you by email as soon as it is available. You can order at that time if you are still interested in our products.Thank you for your understanding.
Best regards."

I gave them my email address and told them exactly what needed to be revised on the new version. We'll see what happens...

Well, darn. Oh well, hopefully it doesn't take too long to get it right!

This right here is what you want to see. Rally Armor is number one for flaps.

While I wait for these I'll probably get the vinyl kit from Tesla for this winter.

upload_2021-1-9_12-39-41.png

So peculiar how long it is taking these Asian and American companies to simply hire an automotive engineer in America to create a template... and then test out a prototype. The Canadian product is looking better and better each passing day.

Here’s an expensive custom carbon fiber set I came across. There are no pictures so I can’t say much about them. I’d love for someone to take the plunge so we can see how they are. Carbon fiber splash guards don’t make much since to me, especially considering they are surrounded by plastic.

MODEL Y PARTS — Protect My Tesla

Last edited:
Cf splash guards sound like a terrible idea since it's so brittle. You hit a pot hole or bump hard enough and those things are toast. I'm also waiting on rally armor to release them. I bought some universal rally armor ones to put on while I'm waiting as well as some bulk ppf for the rear doors. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: Lozzy
I couldn't stand the nicks accumulating on the doors(salt particles in Winter in the North East is powerful on Tesla's fragile paint ) and decided to install PPF myself. Worked on it for three days during New Year vacation and it looks great! also applied turtle CERAMIC WAX SPRAY COATING on top of it. it now repels salt, water and chemicals easily!

one thing to note is that you have to install the PPF in the garages as a minimum 60F temperature is required. i live in an apartment and garage is not well heated. tempareture is like 50 something. The films were hard to bend and adhere to the uneven surfaces. had to keep spraying hot water to warm up.

2020+ Tesla Model Y Clear Bra Kit - Servo PPF

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 10.52.02 PM.png

happy to say my very first post on this site is a good one. Hi. i'm the test vehicle that Rally Armor is using to fit their upcoming mudflaps. Met up with them yesterday. first and foremost awesome company and was very impressed with the warehouse tour.
now, onto what matters. we installed the first print of mudflaps. the difference between what i have and the final release is: 1) the edges were just a rough cut vs what rally armor typically does to smooth out their edges. And 2) the unique clips they are using will need to be powder-coated. mine are currently shiny stainless steel (used a magic marker to make them black). the final release will be black powder-coated to match with the wheel well. the clips are important as this will not require anything to be drilled in. all things considered, this is a quick install which can be completed in 5-10 minutes. how strong are the clips? very very strong. the flaps do not budge off the car.

i'll let the pictures speak for themselves. as i get more information i'll try to provide. the good news is this is just around the corner and more than just a thought.

b98abd73-8d13-48c0-b676-56acfc5a7574 - Copy.jpg
6b24202c-d514-4ba6-a200-07f76fb48309 - Copy.jpg
367e2dac-f957-4851-bdba-ae3f049b4dde - Copy.jpg
20210109_145343 - Copy.jpg
20210109_132339 - Copy.jpg

happy to say my very first post on this site is a good one. Hi. i'm the test vehicle that Rally Armor is using to fit their upcoming mudflaps. Met up with them yesterday. first and foremost awesome company and was very impressed with the warehouse tour.
now, onto what matters. we installed the first print of mudflaps. the difference between what i have and the final release is: 1) the edges were just a rough cut vs what rally armor typically does to smooth out their edges. And 2) the unique clips they are using will need to be powder-coated. mine are currently shiny stainless steel (used a magic marker to make them black). the final release will be black powder-coated to match with the wheel well. the clips are important as this will not require anything to be drilled in. all things considered, this is a quick install which can be completed in 5-10 minutes. how strong are the clips? very very strong. the flaps do not budge off the car.

i'll let the pictures speak for themselves. as i get more information i'll try to provide. the good news is this is just around the corner and more than just a thought.

View attachment 626483 View attachment 626484 View attachment 626482 View attachment 626481 View attachment 626480
excited to see the product from Rally Armor! Good job!

View attachment 626483 View attachment 626484 View attachment 626482 View attachment 626481 View attachment 626480

Thanks so much for sharing!

If the company is open to feedback, it’d be nice to have the option to get a matte black, to match the black plastic on the car, and no logo. Looking forward to this product being available though.

Reactions: JonMu
Slight aside from where the discussion in this thread has gone, but has anybody had luck with getting Tesla to repaint rock chips on the “strike” area? My car has 500 miles and already has ~10 chips in that area on the rear doors. Driven only on city streets and highways in SoCal. This is unacceptable to me, even by Tesla standards.

Those Rally Armour flaps look really nice however I hope they will be available without the advertising as this would turn me off for sure. Suggestion for rally Armour, can you make them so they are reversible to either show or not show the advertising by flipping them over and using the left for the right and visa versa? I still think there are many that would prefer the moulded type after seeing the responses to the Canadian flaps I installed.