Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thankfully fortunate to own both 22’ of M3 LR/boost and the MYP.

Bottom line…M3 is the better fun and toss-able car with adequate space for 2 up front and some young kids. Mine are now 16 and 13 and while they do fit in the back of the 3, my wife and I have to adjust our front seats forward to allow enough knee room for them.

Enter the Y. Rear seat of space is fantastic plus reclining seat backs. My son even says he sits higher and has more visibility out the window and we never adjust our front seats even an inch. Getting in and out of the Y is much easier for all 4 of us including my mother who visits 2x a week. She’s tried the 3 once and it was quite a bit more difficult for her given her age and physical limitations.

The 3 handles quite a bit better while the Y is a bit more a refined drive we find. The Y has the all glass roof which makes the cabin feel more encompassing.

I prefer driving the 3 for sheer enjoyment, point and shoot driving accuracy and the crazy punch at any speeds :)

I prefer the Y for transporting luggage, picking up larger items from stores, or simply want something less go cart feeling that day.

The 3 has a way better proportioned look while the Y looks like a vertically stretched version without the horizontal increase to go with it lol.
But as I have 295 rears, the rear stance is the Y is aggressive and says ‘don’t f with me’ while the 3 is like a baby toy next to anyone driving a truck lol.

Both have their advantages :)

Last edited:
Someone literally sat in the Model 3 the other day and was like "I wouldnt wanna do a road trip in this car". And then you sit in a 5 series from the late 2000s and its literally the same size...

10 years from now people will refuse to sit in the back of anything smaller than a hummer.
Car keep getting bigger... today's Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Elantra (sedans) are about the same size as a Model 3 and significantly bigger than the older ones.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I bought my M3LR used after test driving both. I thought the 3 felt like a better to drive car than the Y. Also, as per my wife, the Y looked like a swollen fat version of the 3. Something about the wheel well structure just not matching the rest of the body.

Reactions: BMWM3Man
I started off with a MY because I wanted a plug-in to replace my Prius for road trips. The MYLR was the best option. A few years later, I wanted a fun car to replace my other Prius (yea, I had 2 priuses....) M3P was the perfect fit, especially once it qualified for the tax credit. Since my main goal was a fun / track car, I didnt even consider an MYP, that extra weight/volume was counterproductive.

Reactions: rpiotro and voxel
I bought my M3LR used after test driving both. I thought the 3 felt like a better to drive car than the Y. Also, as per my wife, the Y looked like a swollen fat version of the 3. Something about the wheel well structure just not matching the rest of the body.

i agree about the swollen fat version of the 3, esp from the front. But you can fix "the wheel well structure just not matching" with bigger wheels.

Why compare? There is no comparison
MY is utility transportation
The M3 is sports transportation
Either get both
Or get the one that matches your requirements
If you project your requirements to change soon, get the one that matches your future requirements

Single or Couple no kids = M3
Couple future kids = MY (golf clubs fit better here)
Couple future lots of kids = R1S
Couple future kids and off roader = CT or R1T
If you can afford more, reset all M3 to MS and MY to MX
You will not be disappointed with any of these
Owning an EV, especially a Tesla is amazing
Good Luck

Had a Y before (with the 4.2s 0-60 accel boost) and have a 3 now (stock 4.2s 0-60) and the 3 is a lot more fun to drive. Y was more comfortable for longer drives, especially for rear passengers, but the 3 is still my preferred ride for 95% of my typical driving. The 3 is also easier to maneuver, park, clean and is more efficient.

Reactions: rpiotro
I love my Y. The 3 is way too low for me after driving the Y for a while. I don't need a sporty car. I'd love an R1S but can't justify spending that much on a car. Looking forward to the R2S with NACS built in to replace our Leaf when it bites the dust. But we're officially an all EV family now. (2023 Y and 2011 Leaf)

I’ve had my M3P for over 5 years. There are times when a bigger, more utilitarian vehicle is desired. So I bought the wife an MY Long Range to replace her outgoing Mercedes. Never had 2 of the same make at the same time in over 30 years, and we absolutely love it!

Reactions: cdub