Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Model 3 need CCS/CHAdeMO adapter? This is why.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in need of an adapter something fierce. I'm getting stationed in Germany for 3 years and really want to take my 3. Tesla and Musk are quiet on the support for the troops, it makes me sad.
As one of the troops myself, let's not throw out such daggers. This isn't about "support for the troops", it's about cross-compatibility with international standards, which has always been a problem with a great many cars. If you're going to spend three years in Germany and want transportation, you'd be better off buying a car locally.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Yeah, I love my RV and would love to drive it all over Europe, Scandinavia, and the sub-continent. But it's designed for 110v and they use 220v over there. I would need to replace the fridge, the water heater, the power converter, and the A/C.

That makes me sad, I too blame Elon for my difficulties. ;)

-Randy

• Funny
I don't really see a reason why Tesla wouldn't make a CCS adapter (assuming it's technically feasible). In areas with a high Tesla density (such as CA) they clearly have trouble keeping up with demand. Why not leverage the billions that VW is pumping into Electrify America to help satisfy demand?

The CCS standard does not allow for adapters. I'm not really sure how this is working with Europe, but I suspect an exception is being allowed due to Germany's CCS requirement.

Yeah, I love my RV and would love to drive it all over Europe, Scandinavia, and the sub-continent. But it's designed for 110v and they use 220v over there. I would need to replace the fridge, the water heater, the power converter, and the A/C.

-Randy

Install a step down transformer in the RV. That would allow you to keep your appliances and also switch back and forth if needed.

The CCS standard does not allow for adapters. I'm not really sure how this is working with Europe, but I suspect an exception is being allowed due to Germany's CCS requirement.
I keep seeing these claims, but I have the CCS specification (which you can request for free from Charin) and haven't found anything saying that adapters aren't allowed. Where did you get this information?

I keep seeing these claims, but I have the CCS specification (which you can request for free from Charin) and haven't found anything saying that adapters aren't allowed. Where did you get this information?

Word of mouth, I suppose. I did a quick search yesterday and was not able to verify that claim. I requested information from Charin yesterday but haven't received a reply yet.

And if you turn that camera around it will probably be like the night I was there, not a single car using the CCS chargers (which are closer tot he mall) and every one of the ~20 Superchargers were occupied. And they are Urban chargers so if you are on a road trip you don't want to charge the bottom half of your battery slowly.

-Randy

Those car's are coming.. give time.

CCS stations are now open at Walmarts near me. They say up to 350KW charging on them. Superchargers are not near my house. A CCS adapter would be a great thing to have.

Yes I have a wall adapter at home and can charge at 11.5 KWH in my garage. But, would be nice if I could zip over to the Walmart 2 miles away and essentially supercharge if I am pressed for time. Driving 30 miles to the supercharger is not really a great option.

Word of mouth, I suppose. I did a quick search yesterday and was not able to verify that claim. I requested information from Charin yesterday but haven't received a reply yet.

I went through this a while back. I've taken a second look at the site and these are the only things that I could find about adapters:

https://www.charinev.org/fileadmin/.../Position_CharIN_towards_new_standards_V4.pdf

CharIN does not support the development and qualification of adaptors.

https://www.charinev.org/fileadmin/...harIN_One_Pager_Connectors_used_worldwide.pdf

Adapters would cause high safety risks with potential quality issues and do not support a customer friendly charging interface. CharIN therefore recommends a harmonized CCS connector approach per geographical region as outlined in the below map

At least based on these statements, they don't like them but they've stopped short of outright banning them.

-Randy
Step down transformers are so easy to get. Show up at any big box builders supply and there are lots of choices depending on demand. The main reason they are so easily available is that Heavy duty tools in construction need to be 110 volt not 220V. Ever had a 220v hit? its not fun.

We haven't taken possession of our Model 3 yet. As we live more than 150miles from a Tesla shop, they offer this a a free service. So rather than drive 310 miles of snow packed road across 2 mountain ranges, we thought, WTH bring it to us. But I've got the 14-50 with 60 amp breaker installed, and yes i followed Tesla's installation recommendations for 6AWg THHN even though code states that for the distance from the breaker to the outlet shows 8 would do. We are currently 110 miles from the nearest SC in one direction and 130 if we went into Canada. We travel to Vancouver quite a lot each year and the closest enroute SC is 200 miles away, not really a problem even for winter if we head out full.
But there are a lot of small towns along the route thru just north of the border that have level 2 chargers. Nearly all of them free as they are attached to the tourist offices. A couple of these towns are also listed by Tesla as "Coming in 2019" for SC. So in the mean time we could top up at our normal ICE fuel stop and coffee if we had a Level 2 adaptor. So where do we get one??
FYI, there are many Chamde Mo chargers in Vancouver again at tourist offices, they are nearly all listed as free, its an incentive by the City and Province to attract tourists.
MTB

So in the mean time we could top up at our normal ICE fuel stop and coffee if we had a Level 2 adaptor. So where do we get one??
An adapter for level 2 J1772 stations is delivered with the car.
Yes, it will be in the charging bag that comes with the car. Someone was asking about what this adapter was for, because they didn't know what it was. There are pictures of it in this thread:
What is this plug used for?

We haven't taken possession of our Model 3 yet. As we live more than 150miles from a Tesla shop, they offer this a a free service. So rather than drive 310 miles of snow packed road across 2 mountain ranges, we thought, WTH bring it to us. But I've got the 14-50 with 60 amp breaker installed, and yes i followed Tesla's installation recommendations for 6AWg THHN even though code states that for the distance from the breaker to the outlet shows 8 would do. We are currently 110 miles from the nearest SC in one direction and 130 if we went into Canada. We travel to Vancouver quite a lot each year and the closest enroute SC is 200 miles away, not really a problem even for winter if we head out full.
But there are a lot of small towns along the route thru just north of the border that have level 2 chargers. Nearly all of them free as they are attached to the tourist offices. A couple of these towns are also listed by Tesla as "Coming in 2019" for SC. So in the mean time we could top up at our normal ICE fuel stop and coffee if we had a Level 2 adaptor. So where do we get one??
FYI, there are many Chamde Mo chargers in Vancouver again at tourist offices, they are nearly all listed as free, its an incentive by the City and Province to attract tourists.
MTB

I’m with you. Brand new Tesla 3 owner. Fair coverage of superchargers around me, but LOTS of free chargers including the fast DC BC Hydro chargers with CCS plugs. Pull in with my J1772 adapter thinking this is pretty cool, but no go. SEVERLY limits my range in the hinterland of B.C. It’s amazing that Tesla hasn’t thought this one through......