Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I returned my 2019 Tesla Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Raven and noticed this also. For me it’s most noticeable at 73-74 mph. No headaches for me so I won’t return, but it is annoying and I hope I get a warranty fix in the future. Cool analysis!

Thanks for the confirmation! Good luck for a possible fix in a future. I believe there is a lot of mitigation techniques such as using some dampening material or noise cancellation circuitry etc that can be employed as a engineering solution, but in my case Tesla did not take any action to address it.

I have a Raven and noticed this also. For me it’s most noticeable at 73-74 mph. No headaches for me so I won’t return, but it is annoying and I hope I get a warranty fix in the future. Cool analysis!

Thank you for the confirmation.

Thanks for the confirmation! Good luck for a possible fix in a future. I believe there is a lot of mitigation techniques such as using some dampening material or noise cancellation circuitry etc that can be employed as a engineering solution, but in my case Tesla did not take any action to address it.

So even though you don’t own one anymore, hopefully you don’t mind if we lean on your expertise. What do you think the issue is? Do you think it’s related to the Model 3 motor or something else?

Reactions: P85_DA
Yes, I am familiar with acceleration sound and have no issue with it but 4kHz tone is very specific and pretty constant from speed 50mph to 80mph and never goes away. The problem is that once you have tune into it and its just hard to ignore it.

I'm not an audio expert in any way, and as I grow older the fact that I don't hear it in my Ludicrous Raven may not mean anything.

So I tried the two free frequency analyzers I have on my phone. This is 70 mph in AP on a somewhat rough/loud asphalt freeway in Tennessee with HVAC on and stereo off, and neither shows anything that looks to me like a spike around 4k.

FD60B624-CA9E-4DB6-AB8D-1B2CA4449027.png
FD54E651-9BC5-4009-9216-B053C2189B92.png

I was also really surprised that you're experiencing a constant frequency for such a wide speed range - you'd think anything drivetrain related would be proportional to the car's speed.

I'm doing a fair amount of mostly freeway driving over the next couple days, so if there are conditions or settings that make it worse or free apps that might show it better, I'm willing to try to experiment with my car to see if I can duplicate your experience.

I'm not an audio expert in any way, and as I grow older the fact that I don't hear it in my Ludicrous Raven may not mean anything.

So I tried the two free frequency analyzers I have on my phone. This is 70 mph in AP on a somewhat rough/loud asphalt freeway in Tennessee with HVAC on and stereo off, and neither shows anything that looks to me like a spike around 4k.

View attachment 428027 View attachment 428028

I was also really surprised that you're experiencing a constant frequency for such a wide speed range - you'd think anything drivetrain related would be proportional to the car's speed.

I'm doing a fair amount of mostly freeway driving over the next couple days, so if there are conditions or settings that make it worse or free apps that might show it better, I'm willing to try to experiment with my car to see if I can duplicate your experience.

What device are you using to record the sound and what sensitivity do you have it set to?

View attachment 428027 View attachment 428028

Thats interesting, do you have a dual motor system in your X? From Tesla feedback, it is related to high current drive in the front motor, but I can't speak on behalf of Tesla engineering, but that constant 4kHz doesn't really make sense to me. I have to physically start debugging to root cause it, but too bad I have returned the car. lol

Thats interesting, do you have a dual motor system in your X? From Tesla feedback, it is related to high current drive in the front motor, but I can't speak on behalf of Tesla engineering, but that constant 4kHz doesn't really make sense to me. I have to physically start debugging to root cause it, but too bad I have returned the car. lol

They’re all dual motors in the X. What models did you guys have? Short range? Long range? Performance?

As I said above, I have a Ludicrous Raven. That means it has the Performance dual motor system - switched reluctance front motor and the latest revision of the original big motor in the rear, rather than the smaller one that SR and LR cars have.

As I said above, I have a Ludicrous Raven. That means it has the Performance dual motor system - switched reluctance front motor and the latest revision of the original big motor in the rear, rather than the smaller one that SR and LR cars have.
Thanks, one thing I noticed is that in your first graph, noise seem really high that it can bury any 4kHz tone. The 4kHz tone, in my case, is around -80dB. May be you can try turning off HVAC and use a quiet road? If you send me your recording, I can also check it on my end using adobe audition.

Last edited:
Battery packs are a new rev level, but I doubt there's any difference in usable energy.

Range impact of the Raven updates is quite substantial, though. Tesla promised ten percent, more city than highway, and from my experience so far it's actually more than that - my Ludicrous Raven X is running ten percent below what I would expect from my previous 2016 X75D at high freeway speeds, which was well below what a 90D or especially P90DL of the same era could get.
what was/is your average wh/mi on old and new car? My Nov 2017 build X 100D uses less energy than March 2017 X 100D I had. Then whenever you have 5 or 6 seats is a visible factor (due to weight change) and then P adds another extra weight consideration (and then the tire size too I guess).

E.g. if we look at ABRP's recommended value for X 100D at 386Wh/mi at 65 MPH, that's waaay higher than I actually observe.

• Informative
Reactions: Yinn
Don't bet on it. Tesla won't fix anything they don't absolutely have to. They are in financial meltdown mode and have turned off every spigot they have. Service is a big one when the cars were designed faulty. I think it is going to take a class action suit to get them to repair things like the shudder.

In case you haven’t been following the subject of shudder, Tesla is fixing the issue by replacing the half shafts and it seems to do the trick based on people’s experiences that just got it done.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
In case you haven’t been following the subject of shudder, Tesla is fixing the issue by replacing the half shafts and it seems to do the trick based on people’s experiences that just got it done.

It’s a temporary fix, and while they’ll replace the first set, they’ve been fighting me on the second set. The promise of a new part has been for years now. My specific SC has dug in and is adamant about me leaving it perpetually in Always Low and shrugs when I tell them I need to tow or drive on gravel roads and need the clearance.

• Informative
Reactions: KSilver2000
I have a Raven Performance model and also have the whine at 72-75 mph. It is noticeable but not a deal breaker by any means. I do notice it linked the the kW load on the motor. Going 75 mph down a hill it is not there, or up a hill also not there. Flat road between 72- 75 it is there. Good to see others have heard and not a failing motor. Wonder if the M3 owners have heard since the front motor is just the rear M3 motor Tesla has used from the beginning.