Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I Won't Be Purchasing My 3rd Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S is "convenient but not comfortable"

That's my assessment after making the difficult decision to not purchase my 3rd model S after my lease ends next month. I started with a P85 for 2.5 years before the desire for AP took over and I decided to bite the bullet, eat $24k in depreciation and lease a P90D with AP. I loved both cars and the performance and acceleration was so incredible that it helped me overlook some of the nuances and fit/finish issues that I think are important in a $100k+ vehicle. Within 3 months, my drivers seat would squeak and creek every time I sat in it or moved around. They tried to fix it by applying a grease of some sort to the leather, but it would recur every few months and eventually I was tired of taking it back. The service center initially was incredibly accommodating and you could feel they valued your business. They would pick up the car from my office, and valet back and forth for service and repairs. That is clearly changing as their sales are ramping up with the lower cost Model 3. Unfortunately the service, attention and personal touch is not scaling equally with sales volume.

I decided that I could not in good faith spend $148k on a P100D with the same fit/finish issues since 2013. The 100D did not perform close to what I was used to with the P90D, so I really had no choice but to get the P100D.

This post is not meant to bash the Model S. I was one of the original owners and a fanboy through and through. But the company has not evolved it's materials and product and it was time for me to move on.

I test drove a BMW M5 and realized what 100+ year old company with engineering and manufacturing experience can produce. The materials used throughout feel high quality, engineered with the end user in mind. I am more impressed with the technology and the customization of the M5 compared to the Model S. The performance is there, it's truly a drivers car. It's not quite as fast to 60 as the Model S, but I'm realizing more and more that there's more to life than going fast in a straight line.

As I type this, I'm enjoying my supple leather seats that heat/cool and massage me as I drive. The roar from the exhaust is something I didn't realize I missed so much. Wireless Apple CarPlay and HUD make driving more enjoyable and provide a much better user experience. Even the way the doors close and engage the car has been thought out. It is well built. I'm sure many of you have seen Model X vehicles where the door handles don't even line up - so disappointing.

Hopefully Tesla doesn't forget their roots and continues to innovate without forgetting their loyal customer base. We need a nicer car. We need more comfort. We need better materials and higher quality fit/finish. My 150k car should not creak and squeak when I sit inside.

Intriguing comment. I for one have always looked at Tesla as a 50k car with a 100k battery. Eventually as the cost falls, it will be 75k/75k and finally 100k car/50k battery. Once you accept that fact, the comparisons with other luxury brands doesn’t seem to resonate.

I agree the model S lacks luxury features found in many of the traditional luxury brands...however I don’t agree internal combustion technology as being favourable over an EV drivetrain. A 100+ year old company can’t produce a viable non polluting luxury vehicle? That’s big oil continuing to own the auto manufacturers.

The M5 is a beautiful machine no doubt! I just need to ask whether you traded in EV tech for internal luxuries? Tesla never marketed themselves as a luxury vehicle company...just pure tech. Is the user tech falling behind competitors? Yes as compared to 2012/2013. Even a new Camry has some better safety and tech features than today’s Tesla’s.

Congrats on your Bavarian rocket :) My neighbour has a 535d with the massage/cooling seats and the torque on that car plus 1100km/tank is great. At half the cost of my S lol.

Last edited:
I'm also not getting a 3rd model S.... slightly different reason.

My first S was a 2013 S85 that I purchased CPO and absolutely love it. I went from a Viper owning 'no replacement for displacement' mentality to a Tesla evangelist.

After getting behind the wheel of Autopilot I picked up a 2015 S70D and have absolutely loved this car. zero issues and pure bliss driving.

My Model 3 Dual Motor LR will arrive in the next month so no more S for me :(

I can see why someone might want a change. A BMW has many more individual options. Heck, I don't think that Tesla offers a ventilated seat now. My Model X has it, but I noticed the new ones do not.

I'd have a really hard time going back to driving an ICE, but I can understand why another person may.

The OP makes valid points. Tesla's quality, ergonomics, materials, and lack of tech (embarrassing media player is still circa 1997)... are all valid criticisms.

But I'm sure the Elon sycophants here are correct; he registered his account 4 years ago just so he could go negative on Tesla as fake owner in 2018. Yeah... super fishy!

I used this site for information. It has been hugely helpful, one of the sites I routinely check in on every week. I'm not a poster unless I feel like I have something valuable to offer. Think what you will, I've owned more Tesla than 90% of the people here. Time to move on.

I test drove the M5 and the engine and transmission infuriated me. Every time I stepped on the gas it would be changing gears, and then you've gotta wait for the throttle to open and turbos to spool up before you go anywhere. I couldn't live with a car that had that poor engine response after driving a Tesla. If they offered it in a manual it would be a tough call, but with an automatic, no chance.

A BMW has many more individual options. Heck, I don't think that Tesla offers a ventilated seat now.
They do on the P100D.

I used this site for information. It has been hugely helpful, one of the sites I routinely check in on every week. I'm not a poster unless I feel like I have something valuable to offer. Think what you will, I've owned more Tesla than 90% of the people here. Time to move on.

I was being sardonic. Nothing wrong with a high signal to noise ratio. Happy you're happy with your choice.

How long have there been "rumors" of an interior refresh? Almost a year? And now we find out it's probably 2 years away in Elon time? Things need to change. I guess the world always needs sheep like some of you on this forum.

So you post a thread in an enthusiasts forum to tell the world you're not getting another one of "those cars" for reasons that are, well, yeah... Okay fine, post away I guess if you want to look "really cool"...

That wasn't enough huh? You had to also take a cheap shot on your way out of the door with the "sheep" reference? ROFLMAO... You're going to buy a BMW dude... And you're calling US sheep???? LOL...

I hope you feel really "cool" and "awesome" in your BMW... You are clearly the kind of personality they're looking for anyhow, should fit right in...

Jeff

I dont get these types of threads either. I think they are more therapy for the OP to convince themselves they made the right decision.

I am pretty sure I am in the top percent for car/motorcycle enthusiasts. I have albums/sound tracks of all types of engines. I have a two stroke scented candle in my office (not to mention 5 real two strokes). I dont ever remember I time in my life I didn't make engine noises pushing a hot wheel (truthfully I dont remember the age when I starting making the correct engine noise for the right car).

OK the M5 is well designed (my M was a piece of junk but we will not go into that). I would rather drive my Tesla than any other 4 wheel vehicle (some of the 2 wheel too) I own. It is a best street vehicle in my opinion period.

Good luck with your M and I hope you convinced yourself :)