Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I Won't Be Purchasing My 3rd Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He, like many of us, has become disenchanted with the cheap materials, build quality and lack of premium fit/finish expected in a $140k car. You seem to be deep on the bandwagon, which is perfectly fine. Just accept that some of us are looking at these cars differently then when we first bought them. If sales of the Model S are to continue at the current pace, something needs to change. Clearly the focus of Tesla now is to ramp up M3 production, so I don't anticipate a meaningful change to the S/X for at least several years. In the meantime, many of us are looking at other options.

I'm exceptionally critical of Tesla in many different ways...

That being said, Tesla still makes the best EVs money can buy and so long as that is the case, Tesla is the only brand I'll buy from... I keep reading about "Tesla killers" that have yet to come to market and even when they do, they'll lack the long distance charging network which will make them expensive paper weights anyhow...

Jeff

I only came to say my seat has been creaking too and they ordered me a new one for free 8 months ago which sounded great, but still no eta or communication about when I will receive it. Apparwntly it rocks back and forth so requires a totally new one.

This happened with my original P85 and I never got the replacement. Ended up selling the car and get the P90D and it was actually worse with the next gen seats.

I have ones question when was it that you test drove the the Audi? In 2018 Audi has caught and in many ways surpassed Tesla in the tech depart.

Watch this video and tell my I am wrong

Easy.

1.) I hear engine whine.
2.) You have to be stopped to mess with all the "technology". There had to be 50+ different interfaces in the demo. Tesla could have had 50 configuration screens if they wanted. They didn't, it's called UI design.
3.) That stuff going to update at all over the next 10 years?

Reactions: unbelievable
Have you driven both back to back? I'm telling you that I have, and the 75D is noticeable quicker to 80mph and you simply can't compare the "throttle" response. The only edge the S7 has in off-the-line performance is that it does have a launch mode. Again, at like 80mph the S7 does pull a little harder... but I'm a dad who more often than not has his kids in the car, so that's not really a driving situation I encounter often.

By the time the S7 wheels spin, Tesla's are already gone.

0-60 times for the other cars need an *

* Under perfect driving conditions and driver execution.

One of the most amazing thing about driving a Tesla versus the Performance cars of BMW, Porsche or Mercedes is that you can be completely unprepared and suddenly accelerate into full glory. With a Turbo Macan for example, you have to activate launch control, release the brake earlier, and change the shocks to a setting you would not ordinarily drive in to get the best get off. Unless you are actively seeking your acceleration "moment", this sort of driving is just not practical. So many stories of Tesla drivers who were surprised at a light by someone wanting to race them. So unprepared that the other car got a major head start. And it didn't matter. The Electric torque took over and the story was worth posting. Some day Porsche's Taycan will be built and it accelerate similarly to the 2018 Model S and it will handle better. But that day is not now and who knows how Teslas will drive at that time.

By the time the S7 wheels spin, Tesla's are already gone.

0-60 times for the other cars need an *

* Under perfect driving conditions and driver execution.

This exactly. Even with me actively "trying" to drive, there's still a good 0.25-0.5s lag between hitting the throttle and anything actually engaging. It doesn't seem like much until you try instant response and you immediately realize that numbers like HP and torque have slightly different meanings between gasoline and electric.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Super sedan hits 60 mph in 3.2 seconds
2018 BMW M5
ON SALE
Spring 2018
WEIGHT 4,255 lb
0-60 MPH 3.2 sec
TOP SPEED 155/189 mph

So it took BMW only 4 years to build a car to compete with a 2014 Tesla P85D :)

This exactly. Even with me actively "trying" to drive, there's still a good 0.25-0.5s lag between hitting the throttle and anything actually engaging. It doesn't seem like much until you try instant response and you immediately realize that numbers like HP and torque have slightly different meanings between gasoline and electric.

Absolutely. This is why when you drive a Tesla, all gasoline cars by comparison seem cumbersome and slower to drive by comparison.

Reactions: X Fan
One of the most amazing thing about driving a Tesla versus the Performance cars of BMW, Porsche or Mercedes is that you can be completely unprepared and suddenly accelerate into full glory. With a Turbo Macan for example, you have to activate launch control, release the brake earlier, and change the shocks to a setting you would not ordinarily drive in to get the best get off. Unless you are actively seeking your acceleration "moment", this sort of driving is just not practical.
This is true on a Tesla to, even more so in fact as you need to make sure the battery is fully charged, preheated, and launch control is activated. Of course if you knock of a half second off the P100D 0-60 time you're still faster than basically everything else.

"This is true on a Tesla to, even more so in fact as you need to make sure the battery is fully charged, preheated, and launch control is activated. Of course if you knock of a half second off the P100D 0-60 time you're still faster than basically everything else."

This driving style (which I practiced for years on various Porsches and BMWs is polar opposite to how I drive my Tesla when I suddenly need to merge or escape from an erratic driver or occasionally show my teenager's friends the thrill of going Electric.
I NEVER check my battery charge , care a lick how heated up it is, or activate launch control (do not have a clue how to do that anyway).
It is just see the need, punch it, and marvel at the acceleration. Never gets old, couldn't be easier.

The Model S is "convenient but not comfortable"

That's my assessment after making the difficult decision to not purchase my 3rd model S after my lease ends next month. I started with a P85 for 2.5 years before the desire for AP took over and I decided to bite the bullet, eat $24k in depreciation and lease a P90D with AP. I loved both cars and the performance and acceleration was so incredible that it helped me overlook some of the nuances and fit/finish issues that I think are important in a $100k+ vehicle. Within 3 months, my drivers seat would squeak and creek every time I sat in it or moved around. They tried to fix it by applying a grease of some sort to the leather, but it would recur every few months and eventually I was tired of taking it back. The service center initially was incredibly accommodating and you could feel they valued your business. They would pick up the car from my office, and valet back and forth for service and repairs. That is clearly changing as their sales are ramping up with the lower cost Model 3. Unfortunately the service, attention and personal touch is not scaling equally with sales volume.

I decided that I could not in good faith spend $148k on a P100D with the same fit/finish issues since 2013. The 100D did not perform close to what I was used to with the P90D, so I really had no choice but to get the P100D.

This post is not meant to bash the Model S. I was one of the original owners and a fanboy through and through. But the company has not evolved it's materials and product and it was time for me to move on.

I test drove a BMW M5 and realized what 100+ year old company with engineering and manufacturing experience can produce. The materials used throughout feel high quality, engineered with the end user in mind. I am more impressed with the technology and the customization of the M5 compared to the Model S. The performance is there, it's truly a drivers car. It's not quite as fast to 60 as the Model S, but I'm realizing more and more that there's more to life than going fast in a straight line.

As I type this, I'm enjoying my supple leather seats that heat/cool and massage me as I drive. The roar from the exhaust is something I didn't realize I missed so much. Wireless Apple CarPlay and HUD make driving more enjoyable and provide a much better user experience. Even the way the doors close and engage the car has been thought out. It is well built. I'm sure many of you have seen Model X vehicles where the door handles don't even line up - so disappointing.

Hopefully Tesla doesn't forget their roots and continues to innovate without forgetting their loyal customer base. We need a nicer car. We need more comfort. We need better materials and higher quality fit/finish. My 150k car should not creak and squeak when I sit inside.
I have had two M5s and an M3 convertible. The M3convertible in particular was a lot of fun to drive. I wouldn't swap all three for my 100d. The M cars are loud and extremely rough riding. They are tremendously expensive to operate and maintain (BMW is only slightly less expensive than MB). Unless you are planning on doing a lot of closed track road racing, you are trading down big time.

I think most of us can agree with that, but it's also fair to say that a $150k car that has been manufactured for 5 years should not 'squeak and creak'. It's a common piece of feedback, not a one off.

Obviously this is very true. However, other brands have issues as well that "should not happen". My Audi had a leaking window washing hose that drowned the mediasystem, $3k repair for a $10 hose. The infamous BMW N47 engine has lots of issues. EGR valves anyone? Emission scandals?

Sure, Tesla has its issues. But other brands have issues as well. It's not fair to say Tesla has quality issues and think that other brands are all perfect. They are not.

I've lost a substantial amount of money with ICE cars due to design and quality errors, all from renowned brands such as Audi and BMW. Money that could have been in my pocket if they did the correct job when they designed the product.

The only negative thing I agree with about tesla is the interior quality being subpar

06689F90-C931-4B3F-BAB8-5AE2A4B060F3.jpeg

My 2008 BMW has held up extremely well compared to my model s which is 7 years newer and half the miles. Not only that but the bmw has no creaks or rattles

I said it before and I’ll say it again, Tesla NEEDS to improve the interior quality.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36