Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why people tap the charge cable end on the car before charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw someone do it in a short video, but I think it's people trying to create a trend. Never seen anyone do it in real life and it serves absolutely zero purpose. Tapping on the charge port cover makes some sense as there is a sensor there, but tapping on the taillight (as people are doing in the video) does nothing.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
tap tap

I've always wondered why people tap the charge cable end on the car before charging.
Electricity is a form of energy resulting from the existence of charged particles, electrons and protons. When the charger cable sits unused, the electrons move to the higher parts of the cable, the protons (you guessed it) to the lower areas of the cable. When you start charging it‘s like a garden hose with air in the line.

You should tap the head of the charger on the car to mix up the electrons and protons prior to charging. If you don’t, you‘ll get more electrons than protons and that leads to battery degradation.

For the layperson, think oil and vinegar salad dressing. You gotta shake it up before pouring.

IMG_1004.jpeg

Last edited:
It's simply the hit or miss nature of the charge port cover opening when you get close to it with the charging handle. Mine opens about 60% of the time. The other 40%, I have to physically open it. Same charger. Same location. Same distance each time. Just another one of the joys of owning a Tesla. But you do have fart sounds. That's a more important priority, right?

Reactions: fholbert
Electricity is a form of energy resulting from the existence of charged particles, electrons and protons. When the charger cable sits unused, the electrons move to the higher parts of the cable, the protons (you guessed it) to the lower areas of the cable. When you start charging it‘s like a garden hose with air in the line.

You should tap the head of the charger on the car to mix up the electrons and protons prior to charging. If you don’t, you‘ll get more electrons than protons and that leads to battery degradation.

For the layperson, think oil and vinegar salad dressing. You gotta shake it up before pouring.

View attachment 971932
Best explanation about electricity ever read. I thought they want to discharge ESD first. 😁

I find it funny that people in videos tap the handle before using it (which does nothing) but what I do is blow into the connector (like a NES cartridge) and give it a quick inspection to make sure nothing it broken or stuck inside before plugging it in. I would have thought my trend would have actually caught on but alas it still only me doing it after all these years. 😂

Reactions: pilotSteve
I tap the charging door with the handle every time I want to charge. The reason? It's because I have to! 🙂
I am charging at home with a Chargepoint Homeflex, and the J1772 adapter. I don't think the handle opens the charge door when it gets close, at least that never happened for me. So I need to tap the door to be able to insert the charge cable.

In fact: I didn't even know that coming close to the door opens it when using a Tesla charger until I read this.... 😳😄

Last edited:
It's simply the hit or miss nature of the charge port cover opening when you get close to it with the charging handle. Mine opens about 60% of the time. The other 40%, I have to physically open it. Same charger. Same location. Same distance each time. Just another one of the joys of owning a Tesla. But you do have fart sounds. That's a more important priority, right?
I find that the percentage of success goes up if I hold the button down on the handle up to 10 sec.