Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would someone choose a Polestar 2 over a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is really the key. I wouldn't pick it over a Tesla--most here probably wouldn't. But Tesla is not going to make enough vehicles to cover all new-car buyers next year. Or 2021. Or 2026. Etc. The more attractive BEVs on the market, the better.

Still a luxury vehicle at those price points. Tesla is way ahead in the battery game - that's the key to BEV success. I wouldn't trade my 3 in for any other brand until their battery tech is on par or better. One fifth of the cost per km driven is easily erased by inferior battery management systems.

I'm not certain what's up with all the hate on this car. Clearly Volvo is making this car more appealing to the people who are more comfortable with how traditional cars are designed (front grill, more buttons, more familiar layout ergonomically). Not everyone is excited about making the jump to Tesla's more radical design choices.

I love my Tesla and would choose it again, but to me, this Polestar is appealing in a general sense. If there was no Model 3/Y on the market, I would seriously consider it.

Yep, they can't deviate too far from their brand DNA and design cues right off the bat. The fact they brought out Polestar to begin with is radical enough for a traditional auto maker. They can morph slowly to futuristic designs with the cross over / tiny car. I'd be more interested in a tiny car version of the BEV. Perfect for commuting and city driving.

To avoid Tesla's QC problems.

To avoid Tesla's service problems.

To avoid Tesla's body shop problems.

To get better phone media/integration support.

To get more-adjustable seats.

etc etc

This. I love my Model 3, but I will be sorely tempted to leave for something else once the major brands start releasing stuff. Once people have legitimate choices in the space Tesla's bad QC and terrible customer service are really going to kill them.

Sure, sure, I will be losing the SC network, but I use SCs only a handful of times a year.

• Love
Reactions: voip-ninja
Main detractors for me right now are that grill on the nose, the boring color palette for exterior colors, lack of details on charging infrastructure, and the price, range, and performance are all subpar when compared to Model 3.

Sorry, I had to laugh at that. To be honest, I did not look at what the P2 would be available in. But besides from the $2500 option for red, none of the colors Tesla offers are "exciting" either. I had to get mine wrapped to make it exciting and differentiate from the pack. Closest I would have gotten was the blue, but it was too dark (almost black from a distance) and for an additional $1500, I chose to put that towards a wrap instead.

Sorry, I had to laugh at that. To be honest, I did not look at what the P2 would be available in. But besides from the $2500 option for red, none of the colors Tesla offers are "exciting" either. I had to get mine wrapped to make it exciting and differentiate from the pack. Closest I would have gotten was the blue, but it was too dark (almost black from a distance) and for an additional $1500, I chose to put that towards a wrap instead.

Tesla's color choices make baby jesus cry. It's like an experiment in tedium. If the blue was anything like the red I'd have bought it in a heartbeat but like you said, it's wayyyyyyyyy too dark.

Reactions: Scott7

Well, Volvo will charge $500-$700 for paint choices and if they follow what most Euro brands do they will offer a minimum of two non-metallic colors for base model (typically black/white) vs. Tesla offering of only black.

Europeans are also a lot less frightened of additional color choice, BMW/Merc/Audi all offer "off menu" colors that Tesla fans can only dream about, and those paints still cost less than Tesla charges for mineral white or red.

The article says the specs are similar to Model 3's, but i did not see any numbers about vehicle dimensions -- height, length, width, interior dimensions, etc. Did I miss those somewhere? To my eye, the interior looked nicer than the Model 3's, and if it turns out to be more spacious and/or more more comfortable, that could be a big draw for the car over the Model 3.

I think the Polestar 2 looks fantastic and I would have certainly cross-shopped it with my Model 3. I *love* Volvo interiors.

The Polestar is fundamentally behind on specs (costs more, shorter range, no charge network) but I bet this car sells well.

Glad to see some actual competition happening. It’ll be 2021 before you get one at the base price and it’s made in China (some care about that) but this looks like a great entry in the segment.

Reactions: Chedawg
I'm not certain what's up with all the hate on this car. Clearly Volvo is making this car more appealing to the people who are more comfortable with how traditional cars are designed (front grill, more buttons, more familiar layout ergonomically). Not everyone is excited about making the jump to Tesla's more radical design choices.

The interior reminds me a lot of the Model 3. Lack of buttons and a floating tablet are couple of examples.

Anyone ever use an android phone? You going to stake your life in that technology?
I use an android phone. Works great for me. I don't have any phone as a key issue.
$7,500 fed credit. By 2020, Model 3 credit will be phased out.
Assuming the fed doesn't take away the credit that's true. But by 2020, the Model 3 would have been out for almost 3 years. The base model 3 is likely to be available too.
I'm not certain what's up with all the hate on this car.
I'm not hating on the car, but considering it's not going to be released until 2020, it's very underwhelming when comparing to the Model 3 which Volvo is stating is the purpose of the Polestar 2.
To get more-adjustable seats.
What adjustments is the Model 3 lacking that typical Volvos have?
Tesla's color choices make baby jesus cry.
Have you checked out the color choices for the Polestar 2? I'll take Teslas options any day.

Reactions: Chedawg
What adjustments is the Model 3 lacking that typical Volvos have?

LOL, really?

Most Volvo cars have an adjustable headrest which is a curious omission from Tesla's offering. Also most Volvo models sold in the US have an adjustable thigh cushion (even my wife's Mini Cooper has that) to give more leg support for taller drivers.

Go sit in a Volvo, it will very possibly be the most comfortable car seat you've ever sat in. Tesla seat is not bad but Volvo is on another entire level.

LOL, really?

Most Volvo cars have an adjustable headrest which is a curious omission from Tesla's offering. Also most Volvo models sold in the US have an adjustable thigh cushion (even my wife's Mini Cooper has that) to give more leg support for taller drivers.

Go sit in a Volvo, it will very possibly be the most comfortable car seat you've ever sat in. Tesla seat is not bad but Volvo is on another entire level.
The headrest is a good point. Literally every other non-Tesla car I've been in has an adjustable headrest.

I've never known anyone who had a Volvo. I'm not a tall person so the thigh cushion wouldn't do much for me.

I love my Tesla but if Mercedes came out with an electric C or E class I'd definitely be very interested. The 3 is a great car, but it's lacking in a lot of luxury features - primarily noise insulation. I'm not a fan of Volvo but this does look like a nice car.

The headrest is a good point. Literally every other non-Tesla car I've been in has an adjustable headrest.

I've never known anyone who had a Volvo. I'm not a tall person so the thigh cushion wouldn't do much for me.

I may be missing something, but the headrest in our XC90 does not have adjustable functions. It does have adjustable lumbar, cushion extension, side bolster, heating, cooling, massaging etc etc. All of which makes the Volvo our go to for road trips, even if it means stopping at a, ahem, gas station.

Reactions: DR61